Is RA the Smallest Submodule of M Containing A?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generation
In summary: Therefore, RA must be the smallest submodule containing A. In summary, the statement made by Dummit and Foote is proven by showing that RA is a submodule of M and that it is the smallest submodule of M containing A. This is done by considering the set of all submodules of M that contain A and showing that RA is the smallest element in this set. This is done by showing that any other submodule in this set must also contain RA.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
On page 351 Dummit and Foote make the following statement:

"It is easy to see using the Submodules' Criterion that for any subset A of M, RA is indeed a submodule of M and is the smallest submodule of M which contains A ... "

I am not sure how to (formally and explicitly) prove this statement.

However, reflecting on the above, it is easy to show that RA is a submodule of M, but what is worrying me is the formal proof that RA is the smallest submodule of M that contains A.

However following the statement:

"It is easy to see using the Submodules' Criterion that for any subset A of M, RA is indeed a submodule of M and is the smallest submodule of M which contains A ... " Dummit and Foote write:

"i.e. any submodule of M which contains A also contains RA"

[I still find it perplexing that this actually shows that RA is the smallest submodule of M which contains A but anyway ... this is, I think, not hard to prove ...}

So to show that any submodule of M which contains A also contains RA

Let N be a submodule of M such that [TEX] A \subseteq N [/TEX]

We need to show that [TEX] RA \subseteq N [/TEX]

Let [TEX] x \in RA [/TEX]

Now [TEX]RA = \{ r_1a_1 + r_2a_2 + ... ... + r_ma_m \ | \ r_1, r_2, ... ... , r_m \in R, \ a_1, a_2, ... ... , a_m \in A, m \in \mathbb{Z}^{+} [/TEX]

So [TEX] x = r_1a_1 + r_2a_2 + ... ... + r_ma_m [/TEX] for [TEX] r_1, r_2, ... ... , r_m \in R, \ a_1, a_2, ... ... , a_m \in A [/TEX]

If [TEX] A \subseteq N [/TEX] then [TEX] r_ia_i \in N [/TEX] for [TEX] 1 \le i \le n [/TEX] since N is a submodule

and then the addition of these elements, visually, [TEX] r_1a_1 + r_2a_2 + ... ... + r_ma_m [/TEX] also is in N (if two elements belong to a submodule then so does the element that is formed by their addition)

So [TEX] x \in N [/TEX]

Thus [TEX] x \in RA \Longrightarrow x \in N [/TEX]

So [TEX] A \subseteq N \Longrightarrow RA \subseteq N [/TEX] ... ... (1)

However, I am still not completely sure how to formally show that RA is the smallest submodule of M that contains A i.e. how does the implication (1) demonstrate this - can someone help by showing this explicitly and formally?

Peter

[This has also been posted on MHF]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
However, I am still not completely sure how to formally show that RA is the smallest submodule of M that contains A i.e. how does the implication (1) demonstrate this - can someone help by showing this explicitly and formally?

Consider the set
$$\mathcal{N}=\{N\subseteq M:N\text{ submodule of }M\text{ and }A\subseteq N \}$$
Then, $\subseteq$ is an order relation on $\mathcal{N}$, $RA\in \mathcal{N}$ and $RA\subseteq N$ for all $N\in\mathcal{N}.$ This means that $RA$ is the smallest element related to $(\mathcal{N},\subseteq)$

Last edited:
One can argue by contradiction, here.

Suppose we have a submodule \(\displaystyle N\) with:

\(\displaystyle A \subseteq N \subsetneq RA\).

By your previous argument, since \(\displaystyle N\) is a submodule containing \(\displaystyle A\), we have:

\(\displaystyle RA \subseteq N \subsetneq RA\) that is:

\(\displaystyle RA \neq RA\), a contradiction. So no such \(\displaystyle N\) can exist.

Related to Is RA the Smallest Submodule of M Containing A?

1. What is a submodule?

A submodule is a smaller unit or component within a larger system or module. It is designed to perform a specific function and can be independently managed and updated.

2. How are submodules created?

Submodules can be created in various ways depending on the programming language or framework being used. In general, they are created by defining a separate directory or repository within the main project and linking it to the main project.

3. What is the purpose of using submodules?

Submodules help to break down complex projects into smaller, more manageable components. They also allow for easier collaboration and version control, as changes made in one submodule will not affect the entire project.

4. How do submodules differ from libraries?

Submodules and libraries serve similar purposes, but they have some key differences. Submodules are typically used within a specific project, while libraries can be used in multiple projects. Submodules are also more tightly integrated with the main project, while libraries are more self-contained.

5. How do you update submodules?

To update submodules, you can use the "git submodule update" command. This will pull the latest changes from the linked submodule repository. You can also specify a specific submodule to update if you have multiple submodules within your project.