Is radioactive decay truly random?

In summary: There is always a 0.00000000001% chance of everything, so even if you knew the exact sequence of events it would still be unpredictable.
JesW87
Before you report this, yes I do know there was already another post like this one, but I don't feel like it fully answered the question.

Note that I really don't know anything about quantum anything, but I'm trying to do some reading up on "randomness" and the consensus seems to be that this, and other quantum mechanical phenomena, are some of the only truly random events in the universe.

What I'm trying to get at is: is this for sure? I mean beyond a shadow of a doubt. As in there does not even exist a 0.00000000000000000001% chance that there is some hidden nature to how these processes work, that if it could be known, would prove that there is some order to them. I'm not saying that being able to predict them would have to be POSSIBLE, but what I am asking is if it is certain that there is no definitive pattern (even if what it is is currently unknown) that causes these kinds of things?

And by random I don't just mean unpredictable, I mean that there is absolutely no pattern of cause and effect for this stuff, even if it is currently unknown.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are deterministic interpretations of quantum mechanics, where the underlying physics is not random. But even there you cannot make predictions in the way classical mechanics would allow.
That is for sure - you can construct inequalities that have to be satisfied if we could make these predictions (Bell's theorem), and you can measure that these inequalities are violated. This has been done over and over again, and we are sure they are violated.

There is always a 0.00000000001% chance of everything. Maybe there is a worldwide conspiracy with the dedicated task of fooling you personally about the results of quantum mechanics. Impossible? No. But too unlikely to be considered.

Likes russ_watters, PeroK and JesW87
1. What is the difference between "random" and "truly random"? (And truly truly random, and truly truly truly random, etc.)
2. What measurement would convince you that one or the other is correct?

@JesW87 Do you know how the word "Random" is defined mathematically?
Randomness of a set of experimental data can be verified within limits by looking at the autocorrelation function of the data. The answer for a totally random process is a single peak in the self-correlation. There is always a limit to 'just how random' a set of data is, you have to start an experiment and then finish it and there is always a bandwidth limit so you can only look at so much data to demonstrate it is random.
Are you looking for something 'systematic', underlying the randomness that's been observed experimentally? i.e. something within the peak of the autocorrelation function?
You could be leaping too far into this topic before you are equipped to deal with the present evidence. Looking just beyond established Science takes you into Science Fiction which may be fun but is not Science.

Vanadium 50 said:
1. What is the difference between "random" and "truly random"? (And truly truly random, and truly truly truly random, etc.)
2. What measurement would convince you that one or the other is correct?
I guess I meant random in two senses:

1. Unpredictable, but with some sort of pattern controlling the behavior (as in something that clearly is not truly random, but the pattern is so complex or contains so many variables that it is just unknowable to us and maybe always will be, however if it could be known it could be predicted)

2. Unpredictable BECAUSE there is no pattern, plain and simple.

I was just trying to determine which of the two radioactive decay is.

JesW87 said:
I guess I meant random in two senses:

1. Unpredictable, but with some sort of pattern controlling the behavior (as in something that clearly is not truly random, but the pattern is so complex or contains so many variables that it is just unknowable to us and maybe always will be, however if it could be known it could be predicted)

2. Unpredictable BECAUSE there is no pattern, plain and simple.

I was just trying to determine which of the two radioactive decay is.
It's the second. The first isn't random, it's chaotic (like weather).

Likes JesW87

1. What is radioactive decay and why is it important?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation. It is important because it allows us to measure the age of objects, study the properties of elements, and use radioactive materials in various fields such as medicine, energy production, and environmental monitoring.

2. Is radioactive decay truly random?

Yes, radioactive decay is truly random. This means that the timing of when an atom will decay is unpredictable and cannot be influenced by external factors such as temperature or pressure. This randomness is a fundamental property of the atomic nucleus and is not affected by any known physical laws.

3. How do scientists measure the rate of radioactive decay?

Scientists use a unit called the half-life to measure the rate of radioactive decay. The half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the original amount of a radioactive substance to decay. By measuring the amount of a radioactive substance remaining after a certain amount of time, scientists can calculate the half-life and use it to predict the rate of decay.

4. Can radioactive decay be influenced or controlled?

No, radioactive decay cannot be influenced or controlled. As mentioned before, it is a random process that is not affected by external factors. However, scientists can use certain techniques such as nuclear reactors or particle accelerators to induce radioactive decay in specific elements, but the timing and rate of decay will still be random.

5. How does the randomness of radioactive decay affect our understanding of the universe?

The randomness of radioactive decay plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It helps us understand the behavior of atoms, the formation of elements, and the age of objects in our solar system and beyond. It also has implications in fields such as nuclear physics, cosmology, and geology, allowing us to make predictions and develop theories about the origins and evolution of our universe.