Is recieving such an email on desk rejection a good sign?

In summary, the conversation discusses the rejection of a self-authored article from a journal and the editor's suggestion to submit to other journals. The rejection was due to the paper's subject matter not being within the scope of the journal, and it does not necessarily mean that the paper is unpublishable. The conversation also touches on the importance of reading and understanding the scope of a journal before submitting, as well as the potential need for counseling or support in dealing with communication difficulties. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the acknowledgement that the approach to scientific investigation taken by one individual may not be effective and may be disrespectful to others.
Ahmed1029
I recently submitted a self-authored article with no affiliation to a peer reviewed journal, which then got desk rejected. The email however wasn't a generic one; the editor made a comment about its content that clearly indicates he read the whole thing, but he didn't correct me or say anything that indicates that the paper was of low value. He then said that the paper was out of the journal scope and then suggested some other journals to transfer my paper to. Does this mean he thinks my paper is publishable? Or is this just routine?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahmed1029 said:
but he didn't correct me or say anything that indicates that the paper was of low value.
I wouldn't expect an editor to do that because that would be peer review. I wouldn't read anything into the email you got other than this paper's topic makes it unsuitable for the journal you sent it to.

Likes russ_watters, Wrichik Basu and Ahmed1029
Ahmed1029 said:
He then said that the paper was out of the journal scope and then suggested some other journals to transfer my paper to.
This has no indication on whether the paper is publishable or not. It simply means that the journal you submitted to doesn't cover the subject matter of your paper. Look into submitting to a different journal which publishes papers in your subfield. You should already have a list of such journals from the papers you have cited in your paper/you have read.

Last edited:
Likes Ahmed1029
Ahmed1029 said:
He then said that the paper was out of the journal scope
This is not good. As a submitter, you should have known this. If you didn't, that''s because you aren't reading that journal regularly. Wanting to publish without reading is like wanting to talk without listening. It does not make for effective communication. It just makes them cross.

Likes phinds, Ahmed1029 and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
This is not good. As a submitter, you should have known this. If you didn't, that''s because you aren't reading that journal regularly. Wanting to publish without reading is like wanting to talk without listening. It does not make for effective communication. It just makes them cross.
I'm not an active researcher; I just have an idea that I think is too outlandish to have been published before, but I think it's very scientifically sound. I decided to submit it and see what the reviewers have to say about it.

Ahmed1029 said:
I'm not an active researcher; I just have an idea that I think is too outlandish to have been published before, but I think it's very scientifically sound. I decided to submit it and see what the reviewers have to say about it.

I don't see how this is a rebuttal to Vanadium's post.

Likes phinds, berkeman, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
Office_Shredder said:
I don't see how this is a rebuttal to Vanadium's post.
Then you have to read more carefully

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman and russ_watters
Ahmed1029 said:
Then you have to read more carefully
No, it is you that has a problem with not reading what others say, as evidenced by
  1. your submission to an inappropriate journal;
  2. your presumption that your idea has not been published before without apparently checking this;
  3. your belief that "I am not an active researcher" addresses @Vanadium 50's comment that you need to read (many issues of) a journal before you can contribute to it; and
  4. your own admission that you have communication difficulties
    Ahmed1029 said:
    A big cause of my loneliness in my environment is that I can almost never have a meaningful conversation.
Can you access counselling or other help for your difficulties within your academic, work or home environment?

Last edited:
Likes berkeman, Vanadium 50 and russ_watters
You asked if this was a good sign. I answered that. Now you want to argue that.

Vanadium 50 said:
You asked if this was a good sign. I answered that. Now you want to argue that.
No I'm not arguing with you, I in fact completely agree with you. I simply told the other person to read my response carefully because he didn't seem to get what I wanted to say.

pbuk said:
No, it is you that has a problem with not reading what others say, as evidenced by
  1. your submission to an inappropriate journal;
  2. your presumption that your idea has not been published before without apparently checking this;
  3. your belief that "I am not an active researcher" addresses @Vanadium 50's comment that you need to read (many issues of) a journal before you can contribute to it; and
  4. your own admission that you have communication difficulties
Can you access counselling or other help for your difficulties within your academic, work or home environment?
What does this have to do with the fact that he didn't get what my response was saying? Why are we even arguing here?

@Ahmed1029 whether you want to listen or not, the reality is that your approach to scientific investigation is wrong, all but certain to fail, and disrespectful to the people who's time you are wasting by asking them to review your paper. Your explanation of why you are doing it doesn't make those problems go away.

There's no point in further debate, so this thread is closed.

Likes pbuk and Vanadium 50

1. What is a desk rejection in the context of receiving an email?

A desk rejection is when a manuscript or research paper is rejected by a journal editor without being sent out for peer review. This typically occurs when the editor believes the paper does not meet the journal's standards or scope.

2. Is receiving a desk rejection email a common occurrence?

Yes, receiving a desk rejection email is a common occurrence in the scientific publishing process. Many journals receive a large number of submissions and only a small percentage are accepted for publication.

3. Can receiving a desk rejection email be considered a positive sign?

In most cases, receiving a desk rejection email is not considered a positive sign. It typically means that the paper did not meet the journal's standards and will not be considered for publication. However, it can also be seen as a helpful feedback from the editor to improve the paper before submitting to another journal.

4. What should I do if I receive a desk rejection email?

If you receive a desk rejection email, you should carefully read the feedback provided by the editor and consider making revisions to your paper before submitting it to another journal. You can also seek advice from colleagues or a professional editor to improve your paper.

5. Is it possible to appeal a desk rejection?

Yes, it is possible to appeal a desk rejection by contacting the editor and providing a detailed explanation of why you believe your paper should be reconsidered. However, it is important to keep in mind that the final decision lies with the editor and there is no guarantee of acceptance even after an appeal.