Is requesting a retest unreasonable under these circumstances?

In summary, the student is contemplating whether to request a retest for their online exams due to concerns about cheating and the impact on their GPA. They also question the validity of their request and acknowledge their own hypocrisy. They then discuss the evidence of cheating and their possible involvement. The expert summarizer concludes that the student is unsure of their argument and is questioning whether to request a retest or not.
JC2000
Due to COVID my college has been conducting online examinations. I have not done as well as I would have liked and this is entirely my responsibility. However, given the absence of proctoring I am aware that significant cheating has occurred and while my absolute score is completely in my hands, due to relative grading my GPA is likely to suffer. I am aware that my college is willing to schedule a retest for those who have been unable to appear due to illness or other 'valid' reasons. My GPA would likely only mildly affect me in the long term but the pinch could be more acute for the short term (a number of privileges are often given out based on grades).

In these circumstances would it be unreasonable on my part to request the administration to allow me to give the retest? Or is simply moving on and working on my weaknesses and areas of interest and compensating for a drop in performance by doing well in the future, a better use of my time?

Writing this I realize that I should just ask the administration instead of dawdling like this. However I am curious to hear your input.

EDIT : I had contacted my professor asking about changes to any regulations (i.e tests being made open book) but the professor instead informed me about the number of questions in the test. I realize at this point I should've followed up as the professor somehow misunderstood something!

EDIT 2 : Having given the issue some more thought I see my own hypocrisy in the matter. Is there any way to salvage my grade from sinking more than it "deserves" to? I am increasingly of the view that it makes sense to just carry on and focus on doing well in the future.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any valid reason for a retest in what you have written.

It also seems odd to me that the first party you'd go to would be the administration rather than the course instructor.

Doing poorly is not a good reason for a retest. Nor are unsupported allegations that other students may have cheated.

Dr. Courtney said:
I don't see any valid reason for a retest in what you have written.

It also seems odd to me that the first party you'd go to would be the administration rather than the course instructor.

Doing poorly is not a good reason for a retest. Nor are unsupported allegations that other students may have cheated.
Thanks for your input. I agree that doing poorly is not a good reason however my allegations are hardly unsupported. For instance after every test I have seen group chats where students have shared answers. A few even openly told me that it was silly to not do so as the scoring is relative...

JC2000 said:
Thanks for your input. I agree that doing poorly is not a good reason however my allegations are hardly unsupported. For instance after every test I have seen group chats where students have shared answers. A few even openly told me that it was silly to not do so as the scoring is relative...

Were you complicit with the cheating by failing to report it until now? Does your school's student honor code require students to report cheating? If you have had hard evidence for some time, it seems self-serving not to mention the cheating to the instructor or administration until you are trying to gain something from it.

Likes berkeman and JC2000
Dr. Courtney said:
Were you complicit with the cheating by failing to report it until now? Does your school's student honor code require students to report cheating? If you have had hard evidence for some time, it seems self-serving not to mention the cheating to the instructor or administration until you are trying to gain something from it.

I completely agree that my motives are self-serving. Having checked a few documents, I believe I am not complicit (however I see the duplicity of my point).

• Wow
Likes undefined314
I'm confused as to what your argument is.

• Others were cheating, so I want a retest so I can cheat too.
  • Others were cheating, so for my honesty I should be rewarded with two (honest) shots at the test and not one. None of the other honest studensts, mind you, just me.
  • Others were cheating so we need to redo the test for everybody.
Can you clarify?

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm confused as to what your argument is.

• Others were cheating, so I want a retest so I can cheat too.
  • Others were cheating, so for my honesty I should be rewarded with two (honest) shots at the test and not one. None of the other honest studensts, mind you, just me.
  • Others were cheating so we need to redo the test for everybody.
Can you clarify?

I realize the absurdity of my demand. I was hoping to have a provision to allow a second honest shot at the test (a retest is most definitely on the cards except that it is for those who were ill etc) for whoever is dissatisfied with their result (with the tests happening in a manner that no cheating occurs!).

You can technically get option two with what Vanadium listed if you pushed for it. However, it is extremely unethical, since you were aware of cheating by students. So, whose to say you did not cheat? Moreover, you may burn bridges. Take it as a learning experience, to do better in the future. I am not proud of it, but I had a C+ in undergraduate intro Abstract Algebra and C+ in Complex Analysis. Even tho I received a C+ in these classes, I learned to write better proofs which helped me in the long run. Cheating was also present. I tried my best in Algebra, and I got what I got. Although, the Complex class was crappy and the teacher failed to teach (read straight from the book, often times errors in definition/theorems, and not being able to solve multiple problems on the board). Needless to say, I stopped attending lecture and was not aware of an assignment given during class. So my grade was docked 2 full letter grades lol.

Since student performance could have been great, the teacher could have increased the difficulty of the exams. But Math and Science is difficult. So grades are meaningless in the grand scheme of learning for the sake of learning. It is important to know the material, so the students who cheated, eventually this will come back to bite them in future courses and or career. Not many people can fake it till they make it.

Try better next time. Don't be a crybaby.

Likes JC2000
To add to this post. I never once worried about what my other classmates were doing. I was focused on what I was doing. A good friend of mine, however, would create a fake email and report cheating to the instructor. It was amusing watching the cheaters squirm on test day.

Likes JC2000 and Dr. Courtney
MidgetDwarf said:
Try better next time. Don't be a crybaby.

Thank you for your perspective. Having considered your point, I agree completely. I intend to work harder and do better in the future!

I think you need to think about what you might reasonably get. I don't think the professor is going to allow a retest without evidence of cheating. If you have evidence, you will be asked why didn't you bring it up right away.

Likes JC2000
Vanadium 50 said:
I think you need to think about what you might reasonably get. I don't think the professor is going to allow a retest without evidence of cheating. If you have evidence, you will be asked why didn't you bring it up right away.
Fair point. On having reconsidered my rather knee-jerk response to the entire episode thanks to all your inputs I am of the view that it makes more sense to focus on my own objectives rather than cry foul.

It sounds like you've made up your mind.

The only thing I might add, for anyone else who might be reading with a similar question, is to consider the longer term consequences of playing the "do-over" card.

Let's say your professor grants you a re-take. And you do a little better than you did the first time around. But now you've played that card. Next semester, when you really get sick and legitimately need a retake, it might raise a few eyebrows. And all of a sudden, you have a reputation in the department as the student who needs to take exams twice. That's not going to come out well when these same professors are writing reference letters.

And with regard to other students cheating--it's normally not worth worrying too much over. In my experience, in the long run cheating eventually catches up with those who do it--not always in the form of formal discipline, but most will either eventually come up against a wall of an exam they can't cheat through, or realize that they really have no clue what they're doing and bow out on their own accord.

Likes JC2000

1. Is it fair to request a retest under certain circumstances?

It depends on the specific circumstances and the policies of the testing organization. In some cases, it may be considered reasonable to request a retest if there were extenuating circumstances that affected the initial test results.

2. What are some examples of circumstances that may warrant a retest?

Some examples include technical issues during the test, illness or personal emergencies, or a significant disruption during the testing process. It is important to provide evidence and documentation to support the request for a retest.

3. Is it possible to request a retest after receiving the initial test results?

Yes, it is possible to request a retest after receiving the initial results. However, it is important to follow the proper procedures and protocols set by the testing organization. This may include submitting a formal request and providing supporting documentation.

4. Will requesting a retest affect my overall test score or credibility?

In most cases, requesting a retest will not affect your overall score or credibility. However, it is important to consider the policies of the testing organization and any potential consequences that may arise from requesting a retest.

5. How long does the retest process typically take?

The length of the retest process can vary depending on the testing organization and the specific circumstances. It is best to inquire with the organization about their timeline for retests and any necessary steps that need to be taken.