Is Schiff's Quantum Mechanics wrong? Degenerate stationary perturbation theory.

In summary, the topic of discussion is degenerate stationary perturbation theory, specifically regarding a renowned text on Quantum Mechanics by Schiff. The problem lies in the minus sign within the discriminant of the secular equation, which should be plus according to the speaker. However, upon closer examination and redoing the algebra, it is determined that there is no error and Schiff's use of the minus sign is correct. The term <l|H'|m><m|H'|l> is not dropped and the diagonal values of the perturbed Hamiltonian matrix are the values being looked at.
ddd123

Homework Statement

However incorrect the text seems to me, I suspect there's something I'm missing, since it's a renowned text: Schiff - Quantum Mechanics 3rd edition 1968.

The topic is degenerate stationary perturbation theory. In this example there's only two eigenfunctions associated with the same eigenvalue of the unperturbed Hamiltonian. The perturbed energy states are found by solving the secular equation we know well from the general theory.

Schiff says this at page 249:

bhdH2cJ.png

The problem lies in the minus sign within the discriminant:

<m|H'|m> - <l|H'|l>

According to me, it should be plus.

Homework Equations

( <m|H'|m> - W_1 ) a_m + <m|H'|l> a_l = 0
<l|H'|m> a_m + ( <l|H'|l> - W_1 ) a_l = 0

The discriminant seems to have (<m|H'|m> + <l|H'|l>)^2 as the first term instead of (<m|H'|m> - <l|H'|l>)^2 .

Thus, for the degeneracy to be NOT removed at the first order, the matrix elements must be <l|H'|m> = - <m|H'|l> , and not the same as the text states. Unless I'm wrong, which I suspect.

The Attempt at a Solution

Clearly the term <l|H'|m><m|H'|l> within the discriminant is ignored as it is second-order.

However I put it, the Hamiltonian matrix elements and the perturbed energy value to be solved appear with the same sign respectively, in the secular equation. Moreover, as stated in the text, the diagonal values of the perturbed Hamiltonian matrix are real, and they are the values we are looking at.

Didn't use latex because the equations are very basic. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no error. Redo the algebra carefully, and you will see that no term is dropped and that Schiff uses
$$
\left(H_{mm}' + H_{ll}' \right)^2 - 4 H_{mm}' H_{ll}' = \left( H_{mm}' - H_{ll}' \right)^2
$$

Ah, damn, I had a prejudice on the dropping of that term. Thanks.

Related to Is Schiff's Quantum Mechanics wrong? Degenerate stationary perturbation theory.

What is Schiff's Quantum Mechanics?

Schiff's Quantum Mechanics is a theoretical framework that describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale.

Is Schiff's Quantum Mechanics wrong?

No, Schiff's Quantum Mechanics is a widely accepted and successful theory in the field of quantum mechanics. It has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately predict the behavior of particles in various experiments.

What is degenerate stationary perturbation theory?

Degenerate stationary perturbation theory is a mathematical technique used in quantum mechanics to calculate the energy levels of a perturbed quantum system. It is used when the system has multiple energy levels that are close together, or degenerate.

How does degenerate stationary perturbation theory work?

Degenerate stationary perturbation theory involves calculating the energy shifts of the system due to the perturbation, and then using these shifts to determine the new energy levels. This is done by solving the perturbation equations, which involve the Hamiltonian operator and the perturbation operator.

What are the limitations of degenerate stationary perturbation theory?

While degenerate stationary perturbation theory is a useful tool in quantum mechanics, it has its limitations. It can only be applied to systems that are close to equilibrium and have small perturbations. It also does not take into account the effects of time on the system, and therefore cannot accurately predict the dynamics of the system.