Is Social Distancing Being Enforced at This Bar?

• Thread starter sysprog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary: Couple of sour notes in that one." and "It feels quite strange to wish deafness on someone out of a sense of mercy."
sysprog
I went to a bar last night that had recently re-opened. From the entry area to the service station, all the seats were occupied, and people were standing near the occupants, but past the service station, the bar was completely unoccupied, and there was a sign:

1592822757322.png

Detail:

1592823177565.png

I didn't want to take a picture of the patrons, but they were there at full density, dutifully heeding the posted restriction.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Skeptical
Likes OmCheeto, wukunlin and russ_watters
Physics news on Phys.org
When hair cutting became legal again, there was a huge scrum of at least 30 people milling around the entrance - because only one person was allowed inside.

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes jack action, sysprog and berkeman
Ya can't fix stupid.
It turns out that you can't quarantine it either.

Good luck to all.

Likes DaveE and phinds
I'm still trying to figure out why ice cream trucks are essential businesses, and not mobile disease spreaders.

Likes sysprog
But ice cream is FOOD! Of course they are essential :rolleyes:
(ding-a-ling ding-a-ling)

Likes atyy, russ_watters and sysprog
Oops.
Vanadium 50 said:
I'm still trying to figure out why ice cream trucks are essential businesses, and not mobile disease spreaders.
Tom.G said:
But ice cream is FOOD! Of course they are essential :rolleyes:
(ding-a-ling ding-a-ling)
Mobile mental health services provider.

Likes phinds, strangerep and atyy
russ_watters said:
Mobile mental health services provider.

Just the opposite. If I hear Turkey In The Straw one...more...time...

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, phinds, atyy and 2 others
Vanadium 50 said:
Just the opposite. If I hear Turkey In The Straw one...more...time...
I agree wholeheartedly ##-## in the '60s they were mostly tricycles with bells ##-## in the '70s there was an enterprising guy who ran medium-hard rock 'n roll from his little truck ##-## heaven knows what else besides ice cream he might have been selling -- he had a curiously avid teenage following . . .

Most of the paletas vendors in Chicago still use bells and pedal carts or walking pushcarts.

My annoyance at the loud 'turkey in the straw' noisemakers is mitigated by sympathy for the poor guy who works the truck and has to endure it all day long. It feels quite strange to wish deafness on someone out of a sense of mercy. It's an unenviable job.

• Haha
Likes BillTre
sysprog said:
by sympathy for the poor guy who works the truck and has to endure it all day long.

I bet he knows his state capitals well. "There's Baton Rouge Louisiana, Indianapolis Indiana..."

Vanadium 50 said:
If I hear Turkey In The Straw one...more...time...
Heh, heh, I didn't know that about US culture. In my part of the world it's this one, i.e., Greensleeves, which some have called "depressing" and "creepy". Even so, it still made all the little kids in the neighborhood rush out onto the street (clothed, or not).

strangerep said:
Heh, heh, I didn't know that about US culture. In my part of the world it's this one, i.e., Greensleeves, which some have called "depressing" and "creepy". Even so, it still made all the little kids in the neighborhood rush out onto the street (clothed, or not).
Ouch ! Couple of sour notes in that one

Likes strangerep

1. What is social distancing and why is it important?

Social distancing is the practice of keeping a safe physical distance from others in order to prevent the spread of contagious diseases. It is important because it helps to slow down the spread of the virus and protect vulnerable populations from getting sick.

2. How is social distancing enforced at bars?

Social distancing at bars can be enforced by limiting the number of customers allowed inside, marking off designated areas for customers to stand or sit at a safe distance from each other, and encouraging customers to wear masks when not drinking or eating. Some bars may also have staff members monitoring and reminding customers to maintain a safe distance.

3. What measures can bars take to ensure social distancing is being followed?

Bars can take several measures to ensure social distancing is being followed. This can include limiting the number of customers allowed inside, rearranging furniture to maintain a safe distance between customers, providing hand sanitizing stations, and implementing a reservation system to control the flow of customers.

4. Can customers be penalized for not following social distancing guidelines at bars?

Yes, customers can be penalized for not following social distancing guidelines at bars. This can include being asked to leave the premises, facing fines or other legal consequences, and being banned from the bar in the future. It is important for customers to adhere to social distancing guidelines to protect themselves and others.

5. How can I report a bar that is not enforcing social distancing?

If you notice a bar that is not enforcing social distancing, you can report it to the local health department or call the non-emergency police line. You can also reach out to the bar directly and express your concerns. It is important for everyone to work together to ensure proper social distancing measures are being followed to prevent the spread of COVID-19.