Is the Calculation of the Bird's Average Acceleration Correct?

• Thread starter RS7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Just one small error in the calculation for Ay. It should be (3.3-(-2.3))/8.5 = 0.7 m/s^2. Keep up the good work!In summary, the bird takes 8.5 seconds to fly from position A to position B. Using the given velocities and equations, it can be determined that the bird's average acceleration is 0.8 m/s^2 at an angle of 60 degrees north of east.
RS7
Physics question, solved but need clarification!

Homework Statement

A bird take 8.5 s to fly from position A to position B. Determine the bird's avg acceleration
Vb = 7.8 m/s [25 degrees N of E]
Va = 4.4 m/s [ 31 degrees S of E]

Homework Equations

Vax/Va = cos31
Vax/4.4 m/s = cos31
3.8 m/s

Vay/Va = sin31
Vay/4.4 m/s = sin31
2.3 m/s

Vbx/Vb = cos25
Vbx = 7.8cos25
7.1m/s

Vby/Vb = sin25
Vby= 7.8sin25
3.3m/s

Ay = Vby- Vay / t
3.3-2.3/ 8.5 s
0.12 m/s^2

Ax = Vbx- Vax / t
7.1 m/s - 3.8 m/s / 8.5 s
0.4 m/s^2

a^2 = Ax^2 + Ay^2
0.16 + 0.0144
0.174 m/s^2 and then you square root it 0.41 m/s^2

tantheta = Ay/Ax
0.12 m/s^2/0.4 m/s^2
0.3 = 17 degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

The bird's avg acceleration is 0.41 m/s^2 [17 degrees N of E]

I just need to make sure if I did this right, if anyone would clarify this that would be great!
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF :smile:

It's mostly correct. You'll want to recheck +/- signs for the velocities. Is Northward or Southward the "positive y" direction?

oo then if I messed up on the signs I guess my answer is wrong, and northward is the positive y direction I think

Vax/Va = cos31
Vax/4.4 m/s = cos31
3.8 m/s

Vay/Va = sin31
Vay/4.4 m/s = sin31
- 2.3 m/s

Vbx/Vb = cos25
Vbx = 7.8cos25
7.1m/s

Vby/Vb = sin25
Vby= 7.8sin25
3.3m/s

Ay = Vby- Vay / t
3.3 + 2.3/ 8.5 s
0.7 m/s^2

Ax = Vbx- Vax / t
7.1 m/s - 3.8 m/s / 8.5 s
0.4 m/s^2

a^2 = Ax^2 + Ay^2
0.16 + 0.49
0.65 m/s^2 and then you square root it 0.8 m/s^2

tantheta = Ay/Ax
0.7m/s^2/0.4 m/s^2
1.75 = 60 degrees

the bird's avg acceleration is 0.8 m/s^2 [60 degrees N of E]

is this right? :S
I used the signs for the velocities but not quite sure if I did it right...

Looks good. :smile:

Related to Is the Calculation of the Bird's Average Acceleration Correct?

1. What is the difference between classical physics and quantum physics?

Classical physics is the study of macroscopic objects and their behavior, while quantum physics is the study of microscopic particles and their behavior. Classical physics follows deterministic laws, meaning that the future behavior of a system can be predicted based on its initial conditions. Quantum physics, on the other hand, follows probabilistic laws, meaning that the behavior of particles can only be described in terms of probabilities.

2. What is the theory of relativity and how does it relate to physics?

The theory of relativity is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the relationship between space, time, and gravity. It consists of two parts: special relativity, which deals with the laws of physics in non-accelerated frames of reference, and general relativity, which extends these laws to include accelerated frames of reference and the effects of gravity. The theory of relativity is important in physics as it explains many phenomena that cannot be explained by classical mechanics.

3. Can you explain the concept of energy and its different forms?

Energy is a fundamental quantity in physics that is used to describe the ability of a system to do work. It exists in many different forms, including kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, electromagnetic energy, and nuclear energy. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, potential energy is the energy due to an object's position or configuration, thermal energy is the energy of heat, electromagnetic energy is the energy of electromagnetic radiation, and nuclear energy is the energy released during nuclear reactions.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is an intrinsic property of an object and does not change with location, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) while weight is measured in newtons (N).

5. How do forces affect motion?

Forces are interactions between two objects that cause a change in the motion of one or both objects. According to Newton's laws of motion, an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Forces can cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction. The net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma).