Is the Casimir Effect the Same for Insulators as for Metals?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Casimir force between two neutral metal plates when they are close together and whether the same force would apply if the plates were replaced with insulators. It is explained that Casimir calculated this force rather than simply stating it, and the importance of the plates being conductors is emphasized. The conversation also brings up the issue of learning physics from popularizations and the level of understanding that can be achieved without a strong background in the subject. Additionally, it clarifies that it is the field inside a conductor that is zero, not an insulator. The conversation ends with a link to a related thread.
spidey
Casimir says that there is a force between two neutral metal plates when they are close..suppose if we replace the metal plates with insulators,will there be the same casimir force? what is the difference? why casimir used metal plates,he could have used insulator also?i think insulator is also neutral...

Physics news on Phys.org
First, Casimir didn't "say" anything. He calculated. I think the distinction is important - theoretical physics is accomplished not by stringing words together in the right order, but through quantitative predictions based on solid calculations.

Second, it matters that the plates are conductors. The key to the calculation is that the field inside a conductor is zero.

Third, I think this uncovers a problem with learning physics from popularizations, which are written for people who have (maybe) had high school physics, but not much more. I was taught the Casimir effect half way through my second year of grad school: so we're talking 5-1/2 years of full-time study beyond where the book is pitched. This is a huge amount og material that's missing, and people are simply going to have to accept that any understanding that's missing this much background is going to be superficial.

Vanadium 50 said:
Second, it matters that the plates are conductors. The key to the calculation is that the field inside a conductor is zero.

Yea..i have only high school physics knowledge..learning from internet..Isn't the field inside an insulator is zero?

No, it's the field inside a conductor that's zero.

Related to Is the Casimir Effect the Same for Insulators as for Metals?

What is the Casimir effect?

The Casimir effect is a physical phenomenon that occurs between two uncharged, closely spaced plates. It is a quantum mechanical force that results from the fluctuations of the energy of the vacuum between the plates.

How does the Casimir effect work?

The Casimir effect is caused by the presence of virtual particles in the vacuum. These particles constantly pop in and out of existence, and when two plates are placed close together, the space between them is restricted, causing a difference in the energy of the vacuum. This difference in energy creates a force that pushes the plates towards each other.

What are insulators?

Insulators are materials that do not conduct electricity or heat well. They have a high resistance to the flow of electrons, making them good insulators. Examples of insulators include rubber, glass, and plastic.

How does the Casimir effect manifest in insulators?

The Casimir effect is present in all materials, including insulators. However, in insulators, the effect is weaker due to the strong repulsion between the virtual particles and the insulating material. This causes a decrease in the strength of the Casimir force compared to conductors.

What are the practical applications of the Casimir effect and insulators?

The Casimir effect has potential applications in nanotechnology, such as in the development of nanoscale devices and components. Insulators are also crucial in various industries, such as electronics, as they help to insulate and protect sensitive components from external electrical interference.