Is the CO amount I found correct?

• Thread starter chemman218
  • Start date
In summary, an automobile traveling at 50 km/hr with an exhaust rate of 80 m^3/min emits 0.1% CO. Using the ideal gas law and assuming STP, the CO emissions in grams per kilometer is 1099.65 g/km.
chemman218

Homework Statement

An automobile traveling 50 Km/hr emits 0.1% CO from the exhaust. If the exhaust rate is 80 m^3/min, what is the CO emission in grams per kilometer?

Homework Equations

PV=nrt

The Attempt at a Solution

flow rate volume of CO =(.8m^3/min)8(1min/.833km)=.960m^3/km*(1000L/1m^3)=960 L/km

PV=nRT
n=((1atm)(960L/km))/((.08206 L*atm/mol*k)*(298K))=39.25 moles/km of CO
39.25moles/km * 28g/mole of CO = 1099.65 g/km

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, assuming that those 80 m^3/min are specifically referenced to 1 atm and 298K.

Chet

Yes, it is at STP. I was trying to search the internet for reference on CO levels from automobiles to see if the number I got was correct but could not find anything. Thank you for your help!

chemman218 said:
Yes, it is at STP. I was trying to search the internet for reference on CO levels from automobiles to see if the number I got was correct but could not find anything. Thank you for your help!
Isn't STP 1 atm and 0 C?

Chet

Yes you are correct, but our teacher told us to use 298K.

chemman218 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

flow rate volume of CO =(.8m^3/min)8(1min/.833km)=.960m^3/km*(1000L/1m^3)=960 L/km

Shouldn't that be 0.08 m3/min if it's 0.1% of 80 m3/min?

Thank you for the catch. I used the wrong percent to multiply. I used .01 instead of .001. Thank you so much for all your help!

1. What is the acceptable range for CO levels?

The acceptable range for CO levels varies depending on the location and purpose for which the CO is being measured. For indoor air quality, the acceptable range is generally below 9 parts per million. However, for industrial settings, the acceptable range may be higher. It is important to check local regulations and guidelines for specific acceptable ranges.

2. How accurate is the CO measurement?

The accuracy of CO measurements can vary depending on the equipment used and the calibration of that equipment. Generally, the accuracy of CO measurements is within 5-10%. If you have concerns about the accuracy of your measurement, it is recommended to have the equipment recalibrated or to use a different device for confirmation.

3. Can other factors affect the CO level measurement?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the CO level measurement. These include temperature, humidity, altitude, and the presence of other gases in the air. It is important to take these factors into consideration when interpreting CO measurements. Additionally, make sure the equipment is properly maintained and calibrated to ensure accurate readings.

4. What should I do if the CO level is high?

If the CO level is high, it is important to take immediate action to reduce the levels. This may include opening windows and doors to increase ventilation, turning off sources of CO such as gas stoves or heaters, and evacuating the area if necessary. It is also recommended to have the equipment checked for malfunction or damage.

5. How often should I check the CO levels?

The frequency of CO level checks depends on the specific situation and location. For residential settings, it is recommended to check the CO levels at least once a year. However, for industrial settings or areas with a higher risk of CO exposure, more frequent checks may be necessary. It is important to consult local regulations and guidelines for specific recommendations on how often to check CO levels.