Is the Collision Between Two Moving Carts Elastic?

• Thread starter SteelDirigibl
  • Start date
In summary, a 20kg cart traveling at 8 m/s to the right collides head-on with a 10kg cart traveling at 6 m/s to the left. After the collision, the 10kg cart is traveling at 10 m/s to the right. The velocity of the 20kg cart after the collision is 0 m/s. The collision is not elastic, as the total kinetic energy before and after the collision is not equal. This is reasonable as some energy is lost through sound and other sources. The larger and faster moving cart stopping after the collision is also reasonable, as it transfers all its energy to the smaller cart and the remaining energy is dispersed through other sources.
SteelDirigibl

Homework Statement

A 20kg cart traveling to the right at 8 m/s collides head-on with a 10 kg car traveling 6 m/s to the left. After the collision, the 10 kg cart is traveling 10 m/s to the right
a) What is the velocity of the 20 kg cart after the collision?
b) determine whether or not the collision is elastic (show calculations)
c) Discuss whether or not your answers to part a and b are reasonable. Include specific reasons why you think the answers are or are not reasonable

Homework Equations

p=mv

KE=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So pretty simple I think for the first two parts, but I got to thinking.

Well here's the math: 8*20=160 right, 10*6=60 left, so total 100 to right. Then after, the small cart is 10*10 or 100 to the right, so the 20kg cart would be stopped, according to the math.
Is this reasonable? it's larger and going faster?

Moving on... elasticity just means KE is equal before and after. before is 820 and after is 500. Therefore not elastic. This seems to make sense in the real world because energy would be lost by sound, and i want to say friction as heat, even though we didnt factor friction into the motion.

So I have my numbers, pretty sure they are right. is it reasonable? it doesn't seem like a larger cart moving faster would stop, but then I also think back to those metal balls that bounce back and forth and transfer their energy. Does this seem right?

Physics news on Phys.org
All your math is right. The carts don't need to behave like those balls because the collisions between them are very nearly elastic, whereas the collision between these two carts is not.

if it were elastic, shouldn't i get the same KE for before and after? it's 320 (Joules?) difference.

The collision between the carts is NOT elastic. The collision between those steel balls is.

ok that's what i thought. so since the larger mass is larger and moving faster, how does it stopping make sense? obviously the math shows it but it just seems like it would have some motion left. I guess that it transfers all it's energy to the smaller box and the rest (the extra 320) is dispersed through sound, etc, other energy loss sources?

SteelDirigibl said:
ok that's what i thought. so since the larger mass is larger and moving faster, how does it stopping make sense? obviously the math shows it but it just seems like it would have some motion left. I guess that it transfers all it's energy to the smaller box and the rest (the extra 320) is dispersed through sound, etc, other energy loss sources?

Yes. All the smaller box does is bring the larger box to a halt. The larger box has to stop the smaller one and force it to go in the opposite direction.

Related to Is the Collision Between Two Moving Carts Elastic?

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In simpler terms, it is a measure of how difficult it is to stop a moving object.

2. How is momentum related to energy transfer?

Momentum and energy transfer are closely related because when an object transfers its momentum to another object, it also transfers its energy. This is because kinetic energy, a type of energy associated with motion, is directly proportional to an object's momentum.

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that, in a closed system, the total momentum of all objects before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction. This means that momentum is conserved, or remains constant, in a system unless an external force acts on it.

4. How is momentum transferred between objects?

Momentum can be transferred between objects through collisions or interactions. In a collision, momentum is transferred from one object to another. In an interaction, one object exerts a force on another, resulting in a transfer of momentum.

5. How do different factors affect momentum and energy transfer?

The momentum and energy transfer between objects can be affected by various factors such as the mass and velocity of the objects, the angle of collision or interaction, and external forces acting on the system. These factors can change the amount of momentum and energy transferred between objects.