Is the Converse of the Given Statement True for Any Positive Integer n?

In summary: Yes, if $m$ is greater than or equal to $n$, then $a$ is not a perfect square.However, if $m<n$, then $a$ is a perfect square.Thanks for the question!
johnny009
if n is a positive integer greater than 2 and m the smallest integer greater than or = n, that is a perfect square.
Let a = m-n.

Show that if n is prime, then a is not a perfect square.

Also, is the converse of above true, for any integer n?

any guidance, will be much appreciated?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
johnny009 said:
if n is a positive integer greater than 2 and m the smallest integer greater than or = n, that is a perfect square.
Let a = m-n.

Show that if n is prime, then a is not a perfect square.

Also, is the converse of above true, for any integer n?
any guidance, will be much appreciated?Thanks

Hey johnny009! Welcome to MHB! (Smile)Guidance: let's try a couple of examples, starting with the simplest we can think of.The smallest prime $n$ is $3$, in which case $m=2^2=4$, and $a=4-3=1$, which is a perfect square!
Ah well, maybe $a=1$ is a special case...

Let's try again, the next prime $n$ is $5$, so that $m=3^2=9$, and $a=9-5=4$, which is again a perfect square!

Erm... I think it's not true, and we have 2 counter examples to prove it.Continuing with $n=6$, we get $m=3^2=9$, and $a=9-6=3$, which is not a perfect square... and $n$ is not prime.
So we have a counter example for the converse as well.

I like Serena said:
Hey johnny009! Welcome to MHB! (Smile)Guidance: let's try a couple of examples, starting with the simplest we can think of.The smallest prime $n$ is $3$, in which case $m=2^2=4$, and $a=4-3=1$, which is a perfect square!
Ah well, maybe $a=1$ is a special case...

Let's try again, the next prime $n$ is $5$, so that $m=3^2=9$, and $a=9-5=4$, which is again a perfect square!

Erm... I think it's not true, and we have 2 counter examples to prove it.Continuing with $n=6$, we get $m=3^2=9$, and $a=9-6=3$, which is not a perfect square... and $n$ is not prime.
So we have a counter example for the converse as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi There,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

But, your solutions ignores the fact, that 'm' cannot be less than 'N' ...as per the QUESTION??

So, your solution...is not really addressing the Question.

CHEERS

John.

johnny009 said:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi There,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

But, your solutions ignores the fact, that 'm' cannot be less than 'N' ........as per the QUESTION??

So, your solution...is not really addressing the Question.

CHEERS

John.

I'm assuming you mean 'n' instead of 'N', since there is no reference to 'N'?
Erm... in each of the examples $m\ge n$ as per the question... am I missing something? (Wondering)

1. What is a proof in mathematics?

A proof in mathematics is a logical argument that demonstrates the truth of a mathematical statement. It is a step-by-step process that uses previously established facts, definitions, and axioms to arrive at a conclusion.

2. Why is proof important in mathematics?

Proofs are essential in mathematics because they provide a rigorous and systematic way to verify the validity of mathematical statements. They ensure that mathematical arguments are logical and free from errors, allowing for a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and ideas.

3. How do you write a proof in mathematics?

To write a proof in mathematics, you must first clearly state the theorem or statement you are trying to prove. Then, use logical reasoning and previously established definitions, theorems, and axioms to build a logical argument that leads to the conclusion. Finally, end the proof with a clear and concise conclusion that summarizes your argument.

4. What are the different types of proofs in mathematics?

There are several types of proofs in mathematics, including direct proofs, indirect proofs, proof by contradiction, proof by mathematical induction, and proof by contrapositive. Each type of proof has its own unique structure and method of reasoning.

5. How can I improve my proof-writing skills in mathematics?

To improve your proof-writing skills in mathematics, practice is key. Start by studying different types of proofs and their structures, and then attempt to solve problems and write proofs on your own. Seeking feedback from peers or instructors can also help identify areas for improvement.