Is the Definition of Sexual Harassment Too Narrow in Today's Workplace?

• News
  • Thread starter JOEBIALEK
  • Start date
In summary, sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination that violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. This includes unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature that interferes with an individual's employment or creates a hostile work environment. The work environment today in the United States is becoming more and more polarized with women disregarding company dress codes to flaunt their sexuality. However, the law works both ways and individuals have every right to report any behavior that makes them feel uncomfortable or harassed.
jimmy p said:
Very true. If an attractive male made a passing comment then it would be taken as a compliment but if an ugly man did he would be a "pervert".

However it does work the other way. If I were hit on by an attractive co-worker, I would accept the compliments and enjoy the attention. But if I were hit on by an unnattractive co-worker... I'd probably just ignore her like I ignore the customers I hate.. :tongue2:
That's terrible :mad: :eek: :grumpy:
and the worse is that you seem aware of it. If an unattractive girl compliment or be nice to me, I would be glad as well.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think he is admitting to reality.

jimmy p said:
But if I were hit on by an unnattractive co-worker... I'd probably just ignore her like I ignore the customers I hate.. :tongue2:

The point here, is that you surely wouldn't haul her ass to court.

Now, was that inappropriate language ?

There is a difference between a compliment and sexual harassment..

Monique said:
There is a difference between a compliment and sexual harassment..

There is? With so many court cases flying about it kinda makes me think twice before complimenting someone.

Or maybe I am exaggerating a little bit.

Hey everyone

Just joined..

Thought this is a 'cut and dry' case, but isn't frm the looks of it. It's interesting how different gents and ladies see this topic. I agree SH is about body language, tone, etc. But it's also about CONSISTENCY. 'Harrassment' refers to unwanted behaviour from another party on an ongoing basis. If the behaviour is derogatory or defaming is irrelevant when applying it to everyone. It basically cmes down to whether or not the person 'reciprocates' - returns the behaviour - or does not. Interesting stuff. Weird how we need laws to handle such a basic human right - the right to behaviour and the right to refusal of that behaviour.

donnie said:
I agree SH is about body language, tone, etc. But it's also about CONSISTENCY. 'Harrassment' refers to unwanted behaviour from another party on an ongoing basis.
good you joined donnie! :smile:

I think that is a good definition too, I really have no knowledge about the court cases.. a guy surely can't be sued for making a compliment, right? I know, some people have dollar signs in their eyes and will sue for about anything..

It's unfair if someone is sued for any type of verbalisation, no matter how crude it is. And it's an even more unfair system of justice that will allow that case to take place. Just think, I can hall Brad Pitt into court for just saying a swear word to the camera in a movie I saw last week at the cinema! Or I can sue the taxi driver that swore at me when I cut in front of him yesterday...

But that's on the face of it. There's something called 'extenuating circumstances' (keys are slippery!). These circumstances are what the case is really based on. Like the cnsistency of the undesired behaviour and the effects of that behaviour on the receiving person.

donnie said:
Hey everyone

I agree SH is about body language, tone, etc. But it's also about CONSISTENCY. 'Harrassment' refers to unwanted behaviour from another party on an ongoing basis. If the behaviour is derogatory or defaming is irrelevant when applying it to everyone.

this is a very valid point that so many of us overlooked! a comment that was well intended but mistook shouldn't be immediate consideration of sexual harrassment...

JohnDubYa said:
Only if he's ugly or old. If it's Brad Pitt...

Heck, you don't even need to be Brad Pitt. I've hit on plenty of co-workers, and all of them went out with me at least once or twice. Only one was under my supervision, though. I'd say the best way is to just be as upfront as possible. Offer a ride home or a post-work drink, and then make your move. Don't do it at work.