Is the Energy Stress Tensor of Dust Always Zero Inside a Moving Cloud?

In summary, the conversation discusses the stress-energy tensor of a moving dust cloud and whether all spatial components should be zero. It is concluded that this is not the case and only specific components are non-zero, based on a Lorentz boost in the x^1 direction. It is also mentioned that the original interpretation of the stress-energy tensor was incorrect.
epovo
If a large cloud of dust of constant ρ is moving with a given ##\vec v ## in some frame, then at any given time and position inside the cloud there should not be no net energy or i-momentum flow on any surface of constant ##x^i ## (i=1,2,3) because the particles coming in cancels those going out off the opposite side of the volume element. So all the spatial ##T^{ij}## components of the energy-stress tensor should be zero. Is my reasoning correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
From the definition of the stressfensor of a dust it is clear that those components vanish for comoving observers. So i'd say your condition is only satisfied by those observers.

The stress-energy density of the dust in it's rest frame is
$$T_{ij} = \begin {bmatrix} \rho & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end {bmatrix} $$

To change frames to one where the dust is moving, we perform a Lorentz boost on ##T_{ij}##

$$T'_{uv} = T_{ij} \, \Lambda^i{}_u \Lambda^j{}_v$$

Letting ##\beta = ||v||/c## and ##\gamma = 1/\sqrt{1-\beta^2}## for a Lorentz boost in the ##x^1## direction we can write:

$$\Lambda = \begin {bmatrix} \gamma & -\beta \gamma & 0 & 0 \\ -\beta \gamma & \gamma & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end {bmatrix} $$

So we get that the only nonzero components are

$$T'_{00} = \Lambda^0{}_0 \, \Lambda^0{}_0 \,T_{00} = \gamma^2 \, \rho \quad T'_{01} = T'_{10} = \Lambda^0{}_0 \, \Lambda^0{}_1 \, T_{00} = -\beta \gamma^2 \rho \quad T'_{11} = \Lambda^0{}_1 \, \Lambda^0{}_1 \, T_{00} = \beta^2 \gamma^2 \rho $$

i.e.

$$T'_{ij} = \begin {bmatrix} \gamma^2 \rho & -\beta \gamma^2 \rho & 0 & 0 \\ -\beta \gamma^2 \rho & \beta^2 \gamma^2 \rho & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end {bmatrix} $$

So no, all the spatial components of ##T'_{ij}## are not zero, in particular ##T'_{11}## which is what I think you mean by "spatial component"(?) is nonzero in the example where v points in the ##x^1## direction.

Likes epovo
Okay. Thank you very much. I think that my interpretation of the definition of the stress energy tensor was wrong. I assumed that the flow of α-momentum across a surface of constant ##x^β## meant the net flow of the α-momentum in an element of volume in the β direction. That was an unwarranted assumption, so the reasoning in my original post is invalid.

1. What is the energy stress tensor of dust?

The energy stress tensor of dust is a mathematical representation of the energy and momentum distribution in a system of dust particles. It describes the flow of energy and momentum through space and time.

2. How is the energy stress tensor of dust different from other energy stress tensors?

The energy stress tensor of dust is specific to a system of particles that behave like a fluid, rather than individual particles with distinct trajectories. It takes into account the average properties of the dust particles, such as their mass and velocity, rather than their individual characteristics.

3. What factors affect the energy stress tensor of dust?

The energy stress tensor of dust is affected by the density, velocity, and pressure of the dust particles in the system. It also takes into account any external forces acting on the particles, such as gravity or electromagnetic fields.

4. How is the energy stress tensor of dust used in physics?

The energy stress tensor of dust is used in the study of fluid dynamics, astrophysics, and cosmology. It is a crucial tool for understanding the behavior of large systems of particles, such as galaxies or galaxy clusters, and for predicting the evolution of the universe.

5. Can the energy stress tensor of dust be measured in experiments?

Yes, the energy stress tensor of dust can be measured through various experimental techniques, such as particle tracking and imaging methods. These measurements can provide valuable insights into the properties and behavior of dust particles in different systems.