Is the force on a dipole parallel or perpendicular to the electric field?

In summary, the force exerted by a uniform electric field on a dipole is either parallel or perpendicular to the electric field, depending on the orientation of the dipole. When the dipole is aligned parallel to the electric field, the force is parallel to the electric field lines. When the dipole is perpendicular to the electric field, the force is perpendicular to the electric field lines.
Iron_Man_123

Homework Statement

The force exerted by a uniform electric field on a dipole is:
A) Parallel to the dipole moment.
B) Perpendicular to the dipole moment.
C) Parallel to the electric field.
D) Perpendicular to the electric field.
E) non of the above.

Homework Equations

Net force on dipole = 0 N

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer is C just out of an image from a google search but I don't know if it is correct or not

Physics news on Phys.org
Make a drawing of the dipole as two charges separated by some distance. Put in the force on each charge, then add the two. What do you get?

On edit: I did my own search of images and I saw several showing what I asked you to draw. If the force is parallel to the electric field, as you say, in what direction would it be? With the field lines or against the field lines?

What is a dipole in an electric field?

A dipole in an electric field is a system in which there are two opposite charges separated by a distance. This creates a dipole moment, which is a measure of the polarity and strength of the dipole. In an electric field, the dipole experiences a torque or rotational force that aligns it with the field.

How does a dipole interact with an electric field?

A dipole experiences a torque or rotational force in an electric field due to the attraction of the positive charge towards the negative end of the field and vice versa. This causes the dipole to align itself with the electric field lines.

What is the equation for the electric potential of a dipole?

The electric potential, V, of a dipole in an electric field is given by the equation V = (kq/r^2)cosθ, where k is the Coulomb constant, q is the magnitude of the charges, r is the distance between the charges, and θ is the angle between the dipole moment and the direction of the electric field.

How is the electric field strength affected by a dipole?

The electric field strength around a dipole is affected by the orientation of the dipole moment with respect to the direction of the electric field. When the dipole is parallel to the field, the electric field strength is weakened, and when it is perpendicular, the field strength is enhanced.

What are some real-life applications of dipoles in electric fields?

Dipoles in electric fields can be found in many everyday objects, such as batteries, capacitors, and molecules. They are also used in various technologies, such as antennas, lasers, and particle accelerators. In nature, dipoles play important roles in the behavior of ions and molecules in living organisms.