Is the Inner Product in Quaternionic Vector Spaces Truly Hyperhermitian?

In summary, a quaternionic vector space with a quaternionic structure ##\{I,J,K\}## can be equipped with a Riemannian metric ##G## and a hyperkahler structure ##\{\Omega^{I},\Omega^{J}, \Omega^{K}\}##. However, the inner product defined as $$\langle p,q \rangle := G(p,q)+i\Omega^{I}(p,q)+j\Omega^{J}(p,q)+k\Omega^{K}(p,q)$$ does not satisfy the hyperhermitian condition, as shown in the calculation.
Leditto
Let ##V## be a quaternionic vector space with quaternionic structure ##\{I,J,K\}##. One can define a Riemannian metric ##G## and hyperkahler structure ##\{\Omega^{I},\Omega^{J}, \Omega^{K}\}##. Do this inner product
$$\langle p,q \rangle := G(p,q)+i\Omega^{I}(p,q)+j\Omega^{J}(p,q)+k\Omega^{K}(p,q)$$
really satisfy hyperhermitian condition?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Leditto.

Could you please (for those of us like myself unfamiliar with the field and terminology) give a description of the condition?

Also - what is a quaternionic structure? I know what a quaternion is - is it just a tensor product of three quaternions?

chiro said:
Hey Leditto.

Could you please (for those of us like myself unfamiliar with the field and terminology) give a description of the condition?

Also - what is a quaternionic structure? I know what a quaternion is - is it just a tensor product of three quaternions?

On a vector space, a quaternionic structure is a set of three linear operators ##I,J,K## such that

$$I^2 = J^2 = K^2 = IJK = -\mathrm{id}, \quad IJ = K, \quad JK = I, \quad KI = J.$$
However, I've not heard the word "hyperhermitian" before.

Ben Niehoff said:
On a vector space, a quaternionic structure is a set of three linear operators ##I,J,K## such that

$$I^2 = J^2 = K^2 = IJK = -\mathrm{id}, \quad IJ = K, \quad JK = I, \quad KI = J.$$
However, I've not heard the word "hyperhermitian" before.
Thanks for your response, Niehoff.

In complex case, Hermitian condition is described by $$\langle I u,I v \rangle=\langle u,v \rangle.$$ Quaternionic analogue of that condition is called hyperhermitian condition and defined by $$\langle I u,I v \rangle=\langle J u,J v \rangle=\langle K u,K v \rangle = \langle u,v \rangle.$$ In addition, there are metric compatibilities condition that make vector space ##V## a hyperkahler manifold, $$G(Iu,v)=\Omega^{I}(u,v),\quad G(Ju,v)=\Omega^{J}(u,v),\quad G(Ku,v)=\Omega^{K}(u,v).$$ I've checked that hyperhermitian condition can't be fulfilled by defining $$\langle u,v \rangle=G(u,v)+i\,\Omega^{I}(u,v)+j\,\Omega^{J}(u,v)+k\,\Omega^{K}(u,v).$$ My calculation:
\begin{eqnarray*}
\langle I u,I v \rangle&=&G(Iu,Iv)+i\,\Omega^{I}(Iu,Iv)+j\,\Omega^{J}(Iu,Iv)+k\,\Omega^{K}(Iu,Iv)\\
&=&\Omega^{I}(u,Iv)+i\,G(I^2u,Iv)+j\,G(JIu,Iv)+k\,G(KIu,Iv)\\
&=&-\Omega^{I}(Iv,u)-i\,G(Iv,u)-j\,G(Ku,Iv)+k\,G(Ju,Iv)\\
&=&-G(I^2v,u)-i\,\Omega^{I}(v,u)-j\,\Omega^{K}(u,Iv)+k\,\Omega^{J}(u,Iv)\\
&=&G(u,v)+i\,\Omega^{I}(u,v)+j\,\Omega^{K}(Iv,u)-k\,\Omega^{J}(Iu,v)\\
&=&G(u,v)+i\,\Omega^{I}(u,v)+j\,G(KIv,u)-k\,G(JIv,u)\\
&=&G(u,v)+i\,\Omega^{I}(u,v)+j\,G(Jv,u)+k\,G(Kv,u)\\
&=&G(u,v)+i\,\Omega^{I}(u,v)-j\,\Omega^{J}(u,v)-k\,\Omega^{K}(u,v)\\
&\neq& \langle u, v \rangle
\end{eqnarray*}

Did I make something wrong in my elaboration? Can You spot it?

Last edited:
jim mcnamara said:
Hmm. maybe this might help:

http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0105206

Thanks Jim McNamara

I focus only on a quaternionic vector space case which can be seen as a (linear) hyperkahler manifold.

Related to Is the Inner Product in Quaternionic Vector Spaces Truly Hyperhermitian?

1. What is the Hyperhermitian condition?

The Hyperhermitian condition is a mathematical concept in linear algebra that refers to a type of matrix that satisfies certain properties. It is closely related to the Hermitian condition, which is a property of a matrix that is equal to its conjugate transpose.

2. What are the properties of a matrix that satisfy the Hyperhermitian condition?

A matrix that satisfies the Hyperhermitian condition must be square, with complex entries. It must also be equal to its conjugate transpose, meaning that the complex entries on the main diagonal are real numbers and the complex entries above and below the diagonal are complex conjugates of each other.

3. What is the significance of the Hyperhermitian condition in mathematics?

The Hyperhermitian condition is important in mathematics as it is a necessary condition for a matrix to be considered a Hermitian matrix, which has many applications in quantum mechanics and other fields of physics. It also plays a role in the study of unitary matrices and the spectral theorem.

4. How is the Hyperhermitian condition used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, Hermitian matrices (which include matrices satisfying the Hyperhermitian condition) represent observables or measurements of physical quantities. The eigenvalues of a Hermitian matrix correspond to the possible outcomes of a measurement, and the eigenvectors represent the states of the system before and after the measurement.

5. Can a matrix satisfy the Hyperhermitian condition without being a Hermitian matrix?

No, a matrix must satisfy the Hyperhermitian condition to be considered a Hermitian matrix. However, not all matrices that satisfy the Hyperhermitian condition are Hermitian. For a matrix to be Hermitian, it must also be self-adjoint, meaning that it is equal to its own adjoint matrix (conjugate transpose).