Is the IXTP86N20X4 MOSFET a Suitable Choice for Driving at 5V?

• Thread starter core7916
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mosfet
In summary, this conversation is about a mosfet not working and not being able to be driven. There are dedicated MOSFET drivers that can be used, but they need to know the voltage of the MOSFET source, relative to the input to the buffer amplifier.
core7916
TL;DR Summary
How to drive mosfet.
Hello. Can any one help me to drive the mosfet - IXTP86N20X4 Mosfet. I tried with 555 timers, amplifiers(opa 404). Unable to drive the mosfet.
Is there any other way to drive. Any suggestions.
I have attached the datasheet.

Attachments

• ixtp86n20x4.pdf
    601.7 KB · Views: 77
Engineering news on Phys.org
core7916 said:
Can any one help me to drive the mosfet - IXTP86N20X4 Mosfet.
That depends on what the MOSFET is driving, and how quickly it needs to switch.
There are dedicated MOSFET drivers.
Maybe if you attach one of the circuits that you have tried to your next post, we will be able to identify why it did not work, and what changes are needed.

Likes DaveE
Baluncore said:
That depends on what the MOSFET is driving, and how quickly it needs to switch.
There are dedicated MOSFET drivers.
Maybe if you attach one of the circuits that you have tried to your next post, we will be able to identify why it did not work, and what changes are needed.
I have directly connected amplifiers. I dont have much knowledge about this, please suggest modification.

Attachments

• 16744775926193430925703572222337.jpg
    16744775926193430925703572222337.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 66
We need more information. We need to know the voltage of the MOSFET source, relative to the input to the buffer amplifier.
Why do you need the MOSFET ?
What load is the MOSFET driving ?
How are the source and drain connected to the load ?

Baluncore said:
We need more information. We need to know the voltage of the MOSFET source, relative to the input to the buffer amplifier.
Why do you need the MOSFET ?
What load is the MOSFET driving ?
How are the source and drain connected to the load ?
I am making one boost convertor. And i have already attached datasheet of mosfet.

Is the problem with a physical prototype or with a simulation of the circuit?

There is little I can do without the full schematic of the circuit.

The MOSFET is not there alone, it is intimately connected to all the other components on the schematic. How the MOSFET is driven, will be determined by the whole of the surrounding circuit.

Baluncore said:
Is the problem with a physical prototype or with a simulation of the circuit?

There is little I can do without the full schematic of the circuit.

The MOSFET is not there alone, it is intimately connected to all the other components on the schematic. How the MOSFET is driven, will be determined by the whole of the surrounding circuit.
Sir, i am using basic boost circuit to get higher voltage. The simulation is working fine. Only thing is mosfet is not switching properly.

The problem is somewhere in the physical circuit that is different to the simulation.
Please post the circuit you simulated.

300 kHz → T = 3.3 usec;
Guess at 150 nsec rise and fall times;
3 usec remains, 1.5 usec high or low;
t = 150 nsec;
c = 2200 pF;
v = 5 volt;
c = q / v = i * t / v ;
i = c * v / t ;
i = 2200p * 5 / 150n ;
i = 2.2 * 5 / 150 ;
i = 0.073 amp = 73 mA .
There should be no problem driving the gate with 75 mA .

Likes core7916
core7916 said:
IXTP86N20X4 Mosfet. I tried with 555 timers
For first look, that mosfet is not really an easy one to use. What's the drive voltage?

I suggest to get a logic level one instead, because this one is just ... well, not exactly beginner friendly.

• Skeptical
Likes DaveE
Rive said:
I suggest to get a logic level one instead, because this one is just ... well, not exactly beginner friendly.
All the critical details needed are in the schematic diagram and the simulation.

Changing the friendliness of the MOSFET will not make one iota of difference, without the support circuit. I am going to back out of this thread until a schematic diagram is produced.

core7916 said:
I have directly connected amplifiers. I dont have much knowledge about this, please suggest modification.
You are using a (linear) op-amp, about 6MHz GBW and something like 10mA of drive capability. It may not be able to operate stably with your huge capacitive load. In any case it will be WAY TO SLOW. You need a digital circuit to drive a MOSFET gate, like one of the innumerable gate drive ICs out there, or maybe just a couple of transistors.

You say you want help and "don't know much" but... google is awash with information about driving MOSFETs. Sorry, driving a high power MOSFET like this in a boost converter will require you to study a bit. Honestly, I don't know where to start to help yet. This doesn't sound like a circuit that can be built successfully via social media posts.

In any case, you have been asked a few times to show us your schematic, or at least describe the application, and you haven't. As if, all boost converters are the same thing I guess?

So, do an internet search for "MOSFET drive circuits" also "boost converters" read something, ask us specific questions. Motivate us to help you, we are confused about what your real problem is.

Baluncore said:
All the critical details needed are in the schematic diagram and the simulation.

Changing the friendliness of the MOSFET will not make one iota of difference, without the support circuit. I am going to back out of this thread until a schematic diagram is produced.
Exactly. He's asking about driving an 80A, 200V MOSFET in a boost converter. It's not friendly. Also, no one uses logic level MOSFETs in high power SMPS, for many reasons, not the least of which is that you can't find any to buy.

I am uploading image of schematic. If this mosfet is able to use in boost converter. Pls suggest other mosfets.

Attachments

• 20230124_091900.jpg
    20230124_091900.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 68
core7916 said:
I am uploading image of schematic. If this mosfet is able to use in boost converter. Pls suggest other mosfets.
Pls suggest any corrections also..

DaveE said:
Also, no one uses logic level MOSFETs in high power SMPS
Sure. But, you know, by the time of the mention of 555 it could be ... guessed that we don't have an actual SMPS here, and based on the previous topic and the general approach the available input/logic voltage could be also determined fairly accurately.

At this point the only thing I can suggest here (apart from trying this again after some more study) is to try it at significantly lower frequencies and with a logic level FET. It would spare lot of trouble for the OP at these starting steps.

Where does one find polarized 390 picofarad capacitors? ;)

You don't. They are all non-polar, typically disc-ceramic construction.

Polarized capacitors are only used/made when an extremely high value (a few microfarads and up) is needed in a small space. Also their lifetime and reliability is much less than non-polar caps, and they typically are not very good for high frequency applications.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
You don't. They are all non-polar, typically disc-ceramic construction.

Polarized capacitors are only used/made when an extremely high value (a few microfarads and up) is needed in a small space. Also their lifetime and reliability is much less than non-polar caps, and they typically are not very good for high frequency applications.

Cheers,
Tom
It was a rhetorical question.

Hmm... o:) But the question fit so well into the level of the thread! That's what I get for reading the post and not noticing the author.
Sorry @Averagesupernova.

Tom

Am I wrong to point out at Fig 2 shows this Mosfet is totally NOT suitable for 5V.

And the Schematic does not have a load ? So we charge a cap, and done?

Windadct said:
Am I wrong to point out at Fig 2 shows this Mosfet is totally NOT suitable for 5V.

And the Schematic does not have a load ? So we charge a cap, and done?
You are correct.
There needs to be some form of input current limit and output voltage regulation. If the MOSFET could be reliably turned on, the voltage at the output would continue to rise until the capacitor failed due to the high voltage.

There is no specification of the maximum output current required, nor the maximum ripple voltage.

1. What is a MOSFET and why do I need help driving it?

A MOSFET, or Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor, is a type of transistor used in electronic devices to amplify or switch electronic signals. It is commonly used in power supplies, motor control circuits, and other electronic systems. Driving a MOSFET refers to the process of controlling its behavior, such as turning it on or off, and managing its electrical characteristics.

2. What are the common challenges when driving a MOSFET?

One of the main challenges when driving a MOSFET is ensuring that it is properly turned on and off to avoid damaging the device or causing it to overheat. Other challenges include managing the MOSFET's gate capacitance, which can affect its switching speed, and minimizing voltage spikes and ringing in the circuit.

3. How can I determine the appropriate driving circuit for my MOSFET?

The appropriate driving circuit for a MOSFET depends on several factors, including the MOSFET's specifications, the desired switching speed, and the load it will be driving. It is important to consult the MOSFET's datasheet and use proper calculations and simulations to determine the best driving circuit for your specific application.

4. What are some common methods for driving a MOSFET?

Some common methods for driving a MOSFET include using a simple resistor to control the gate voltage, using a MOSFET driver IC, or using a gate driver circuit with additional features such as overcurrent protection and voltage level shifting. The method chosen will depend on the specific requirements of the circuit and the MOSFET being used.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when driving a MOSFET?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when driving a MOSFET to avoid potential hazards. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and ensuring that the circuit is properly grounded. It is also important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions and use caution when handling high voltages and currents.