Is the Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics credible?

• B
  • Thread starter houlahound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Journal
In summary, the criteria for determining if a journal is legitimate include factors such as peer-review process, editorial board, indexing and impact factors, publication ethics and policies, and overall reputation in the scientific community. To verify the authenticity of a journal, you can check if it is indexed in reputable databases such as Web of Science or Scopus and look for information about the journal's publisher, editorial board, and review process. Predatory journals are not considered legitimate as they often lack quality control, charge high fees, and engage in deceptive practices. It is important to publish in a legitimate journal to ensure the quality and validity of your research and to advance your career as a scientist. To avoid publishing in a predatory journal, thoroughly research the journal, seek
houlahound
Papers from this journal a being quoted by a guy that refutes relativity. I know right red flag, lots of pros here so I thought if someone would vouch for this journal it might save me time trying to critique the papers.

The editorial board has editors from all around the world, there credentials are not mentioned. Some at uni Colorado.

http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-atmospheric-and-solar-terrestrial-physics/

Physics news on Phys.org
houlahound said:
Papers from this journal a being quoted by a guy that refutes relativity. I know right red flag, lots of pros here so I thought if someone would vouch for this journal it might save me time trying to critique the papers.

The editorial board has editors from all around the world, there credentials are not mentioned. Some at uni Colorado.

http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-atmospheric-and-solar-terrestrial-physics/
What credentials are you looking for? If you click on the link "Editorial Board", you get the board member's academic or professional affiliation. If you want an individual's CV, you'll probably have to do some additional research.

houlahound said:

There are many legitimate sources that are often used in crackpottery, simply because the person who used it either do not understand what they are citing, simply picked and chose what they wish to believe, or is utterly nuts. We continue to see anti-evolution websites citing Thermo's 2nd law (a legitimate concept) as "evidence" that evolution cannot occur.

Here's the deal. If there ARE experimental evidence that SR is wrong,, it would have been published in Nature, Science, PRL, etc... after all, where did you think the initial OPERA "faster-than-light-neutrinos" were published?

Zz.

I don't believe this source is legit, I am not a pro so thought I would get a more informed opinion.

The paper splits photons into their positive and negative charges.

The journal appears to my amateur mind as completely dishonest and bogus, I thought it was a Poe.

houlahound said:
I don't believe this source is legit, I am not a pro so thought I would get a more informed opinion.

The journal appears to my amateur mind as completely dishonest and bogus, I thought it was a Poe.

WHAT?

Check your link! All you gave was the main page of the journal. You didn't provide ANY citation to a specific paper! So what paper are you referring to that ".. splits photons into their positive and negative charges..."?

Zz.

houlahound said:

It's not clear to which paper you are referring.

Elsevier is a reputable academic publisher with an international business. I don't believe they could stay in that business very long if their journals were no better than picking up a copy of the "World Weekly News" at the supermarket checkout.

What is the paper? And was it really published in that journal? Elsevier has a good reputation for scientific content.

The site was started because editors if a scientific site would not publish papers by anyone just because they submitted them.

Here is the why behind the journalhttp://vixra.org/why

houlahound said:
Cited paper

First of all, this is not a "paper". A paper means that it is published in a scientific journal.

Secondly, you don't seem to have understood my response to your post. I said that CITED SOURCE can be legitimate, even when it is cited for the WRONG REASON by some crackpots! You should really learn how to read and analyze thing. You complain and dismiss the Elsevier journal because it was used as a source by this joker. Yet, you pay WAAAAAY too much attention and wasting time with this particular vixra garbage! What gives?

And don't you have anything better to do than trolling stuff on vixra?

This is an utter waste of time.

Zz.

The only specific paper cited in this thread is not a legitimate source. The journal itself is fine, but that doesn't mean everyone who reads a paper in it interprets it correctly. Also, the specific paper cited does not appear to have been published in that journal, although the paper's author has published another paper in that journal. Thread closed.

Just to be clear, Elsevier is fine, Vixra is not.

1. What is the criteria for determining if a journal is legitimate?

The criteria for determining if a journal is legitimate include factors such as peer-review process, editorial board, indexing and impact factors, publication ethics and policies, and overall reputation in the scientific community.

2. How can I verify the authenticity of a journal?

To verify the authenticity of a journal, you can check if it is indexed in reputable databases such as Web of Science or Scopus. You can also look for information about the journal's publisher, editorial board, and review process on their website. Additionally, you can seek recommendations from colleagues or consult the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ).

3. Are predatory journals considered legitimate?

No, predatory journals are not considered legitimate. These journals often have low or no quality control, charge high publication fees, and engage in deceptive practices. They are not recognized in the scientific community and can damage the credibility of your research.

4. Is it important to publish in a legitimate journal?

Yes, it is crucial to publish in a legitimate journal to ensure the quality and validity of your research. Publishing in reputable journals also increases the visibility and impact of your work and can help advance your career as a scientist.

5. How can I avoid publishing in a predatory journal?

To avoid publishing in a predatory journal, you should thoroughly research the journal before submitting your work. Look for information about their peer-review process, editorial board, and policies. You can also consult with your colleagues or seek advice from your university or institution's library. Additionally, trust your instincts and be cautious of journals that promise a quick publication or charge high fees.