Is the Kronecker delta linear?

In summary, the kronecker delta function is not linear, and cannot serve as a dual basis for a ket space. The functionals with the Kronecker delta property are, though, and the significance of a basis vector with respect to physical reality lies in the Born rule.
entropy1
I don't see how the kronecker delta function is linear, and hence I don't see how it can serve as a dual basis for a ket space.

How is the kronecker delta linear? How can it serve as a dual basis?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are different meanings of "linear" depending on the context. It seems you are mixing them up, as well as Dirac and Kronecker. The functions spanning a function space don't have to be linear, but the space is a linear space, because it consists of linear superpositions of those functions.

In case of the Dirac delta you don't even have a function however. But the associated functional that extracts a single value from a test function is linear.

Look up these concepts, maybe that will clear up your confusion.

I think I understand now. Thanks. I mistook the Kronecker delta for being defined 0 for any vector which was not a particular basevector, but in fact it is only defined such for certain basevectors. And the Kronecker delta is not a function. The functionals with the Kronecker delta property are. :wink:

Last edited:
New question:
What is the significance of a basis functional with respect to physical reality? :smile:

Last edited:
entropy1 said:
What is the significance of a basis functional with respect to physical reality? :smile:

I presume you mean basis vectors.

I think 'physical reality' is far too vague and undefined a concept to be of any value here.

Its value lies in the Born rule. If you expand the state |u> in terms of an observables O = Σyi |bi><bi| eigenvectors, |u> = Σ ci |bi>, the coefficients of that expansion, ci, give the probability of outcome i by |ci|^2.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:
I presume you mean basis vectors.
Nope, I ment basis functionals. But I guess I have to learn further to what eigenvectors are first. :wink:

1. Is the Kronecker delta linear?

Yes, the Kronecker delta is a linear function.

2. What is the definition of the Kronecker delta?

The Kronecker delta, denoted by Δ, is a mathematical function defined as:

Δ(i,j) = 1 if i = j

Δ(i,j) = 0 if i ≠ j

3. How is the Kronecker delta used in linear algebra?

The Kronecker delta is used in linear algebra to represent the identity matrix. It is also used in defining linear transformations and in solving linear systems of equations.

4. Can the Kronecker delta be used in non-linear situations?

No, the Kronecker delta is a linear function and can only be used in linear situations. It is not applicable in non-linear situations.

5. What are the properties of the Kronecker delta?

The Kronecker delta has several properties, including symmetry, transposition, and the Kronecker delta product. It also satisfies the Kronecker delta identity, which states that the product of two Kronecker deltas is equal to the Kronecker delta with the same indices.