Is the marble shot, fired, or thrown?

• Thread starter Turrialba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Marble
In summary, the conversation is about translating a document from Spanish to English that discusses the history of Newton and Kepler. The question is regarding frequently used terminology in a sentence that involves a marble being "shot," "fired," or "thrown" from a table at the same time and height as another marble being dropped. The experts agree that "shot" is the best translation in this instance.
Turrialba
I am not an expert or even a student of physics, but I am translating a document from Spanish to English that discusses the history of Newton and Kepler.

My question is regarding frequently used terminology.

I have a sentence that translates to this: “From the edge of a table, a marble is shot/(spring) fired/thrown horizontally at the same instant and from the same height that another marble is dropped.”

Which is the more commonly used word in this instance; shot, fired, or thrown? The word used in Spanish can be interpreted as anyone of these three but I am certain that there exists an often-repeated and accepted standard.

Thank you in advance for your polite response.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thrown would NOT be appropriate but either shot or fired would be OK. Personally, I would use shot.

Thank you. I will use 'shot'.

Yap, I'd say shot is the best translation. Just imagine some spanish non physicist translating physics text from english to spanish. He would probably be most confused by the word 'shot'.

I can provide a response to your question. In this context, the most commonly used term would be "thrown." This is because "shot" and "fired" typically refer to projectiles being propelled by a force, such as a gun or a slingshot. "Thrown" is a more general term that can encompass any object being propelled through the air by a person or machine. In this case, the marble is being thrown by hand, so "thrown" would be the most accurate and commonly used term. However, it is worth noting that "shot" and "fired" could also be used in this context, but they may not be as commonly used or as accurate. I hope this helps clarify the terminology for you.

1. Is the marble shot, fired, or thrown?

The answer depends on the context in which the marble is being used. If it is being used in a game or sport, it is likely thrown. If it is being used in a scientific experiment or study, it may be shot or fired from a device.

2. What is the difference between shooting and firing a marble?

The terms "shooting" and "firing" are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference. Shooting typically refers to the act of propelling a projectile, such as a marble, with a device like a slingshot or air gun. Firing typically refers to the act of igniting a chemical or explosive compound to launch a projectile, such as a bullet or cannonball.

3. How does the force used to shoot or throw a marble affect its trajectory?

The force used to shoot or throw a marble can greatly impact its trajectory. The greater the force, the faster the marble will travel and the farther it will go. However, too much force can also cause the marble to deviate from its intended path or even break apart.

4. What factors can influence the accuracy of a shot or throw with a marble?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of a shot or throw with a marble. These include the weight and shape of the marble, the force used to propel it, any external forces such as wind or friction, and the skill and technique of the person throwing or shooting the marble.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when shooting or throwing marbles?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to consider when using marbles in a shooting or throwing activity. It is important to wear eye protection to prevent any injuries from flying marbles. Also, make sure to use marbles that are appropriate for the device being used and to always follow proper safety guidelines and instructions.