Is the Maximum Radius of a Wire Floating on Liquid Affected by Surface Tension?

In summary, the maximum radius of a wire that can float on the surface of a liquid with a surface tension of 44 dyne/cm is 1/10 cm, based on the formula T/[(pi) x d x g]. The book answer of 10/7 cm appears to be incorrect.
Amith2006
Sir,
The material of a wire has a density of 1.4 gm/cc. If it is not wetted by a liquid of surface tension of 44 dyne/cm, then what is the maximum radius of the wire that can float on the surface of the liquid?
Can you give a hint to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Amith2006 said:
Sir,
The material of a wire has a density of 1.4 gm/cc. If it is not wetted by a liquid of surface tension of 44 dyne/cm, then what is the maximum radius of the wire that can float on the surface of the liquid?
What is the force of gravity (per cm) on the wire as a function of its radius? What is the force (per cm) required to overcome the surface tension?

AM

Amith2006 said:
Sir,
I solved it in the following way:
Let the radius, density and length of the wire be r, d and l respectively. Let T be surface tension.
Mass per unit length of the wire = volume x density
= (pi) x (r^2) x d
Force per unit length of the wire = (pi)(r^2)d x g (g ~ 1000 cm/sec^2)
By definition of surface tension,
Force per unit length of the wire = surface tension
(pi)(r^2)d x g = T
r^2 = T/[(pi) x d x g]
By solving I get,
r =1/10 cm
But the book answer is 10/7 cm. Is there any mistake in my solution?

Amith2006 said:
I solved it in the following way:
Let the radius, density and length of the wire be r, d and l respectively. Let T be surface tension.
Mass per unit length of the wire = volume x density
= (pi) x (r^2) x d
Force per unit length of the wire = (pi)(r^2)d x g (g ~ 1000 cm/sec^2)
By definition of surface tension,
Force per unit length of the wire = surface tension
(pi)(r^2)d x g = T
r^2 = T/[(pi) x d x g]
By solving I get,
r =1/10 cm
But the book answer is 10/7 cm. Is there any mistake in my solution?
Your answer appears to be correct. A metal wire 1.4 cm thick will not float on water. Again, your book is wrong.

AM

Last edited:

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is the force that causes the molecules on the surface of a liquid to stick together and form a sort of "skin" or barrier.

2. How does surface tension affect objects on the surface of a liquid?

Surface tension can cause objects on the surface of a liquid to float or be suspended, as the force of the surface tension supports their weight.

3. What factors can affect surface tension?

Surface tension can be affected by temperature, the type of liquid, and the presence of impurities or additives.

4. How is surface tension measured?

Surface tension can be measured using a tool called a tensiometer, which measures the force required to break the surface tension of a liquid.

5. How is surface tension important in nature and everyday life?

Surface tension plays a crucial role in nature, as it allows insects to walk on water and allows plants to transport water from their roots to their leaves. In everyday life, surface tension allows for phenomena like capillary action and the formation of soap bubbles.