Is the Planck Length the Ultimate Limit of Measurement?

In summary: A factor of ##2\sqrt{\pi}## too big?In summary, the Planck length is the point at which quantum effects mess up any attempt to apply our present physical laws.
nomadreid
Gold Member
If I understand correctly, the Planck length, or maybe a tenth of it, is considered the point at which quantum effects mess up any attempt to apply our present physical laws, and so one could not even in theory make a dependable measurement of something smaller. However, I was wondering what would be wrong with the following simpler argument; it must be wrong somewhere because my answer is too big.

Suppose we had some slit of width d . To measure it would require a photon with a wavelength of d/2 or smaller, that is, an Energy of at least 2hc/d, the equivalent rest mass of 2h/(cd). If we try to get the photon into the slit of width d, d will have to be bigger than the Schwarzschild radius r = 2GM/c2 = 4Gh/(c3d) . That is, d>4Gh/(c3d), or d>2√(Gh/c3) , but that is a factor of 2√(2π) too big, as the Planck length is √(Għ/c3). What is wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
What is wrong?

You're reading into terms of order one when you only have an order of magnitude estimate.

Last edited:
Likes nomadreid
Thanks for the reply, Vanadium 50. I ask forgiveness for my own density (hopefully less than that needed to collapse into a black hole), but I am afraid that I don't quite understand your comment. What are you saying that I am estimating?

nomadreid said:
If I understand correctly, the Planck length, or maybe a tenth of it, is considered the point at which quantum effects mess up any attempt to apply our present physical laws...
Not "at which quantum effects mess up..." but "around which, give or take a factor of ten or thereabouts, quantum effects must mess up..."

The statement isn't precise enough to worry about a factor of ##2\sqrt{\pi}##

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, Nugatory. Ah. So the Planck length is a rather fuzzy border?

The Planck length is very well defined. The size where you have to worry about quantum gravity is fuzzy - just like the size where you have to worry about everything else. Are you making a 10% measurement? A 1% measurement? A 0.00000001% measurement?

1. What is the Planck length?

The Planck length is a unit of length in the field of quantum mechanics. It is the smallest possible length that can be measured and is approximately 1.6 x 10^-35 meters.

2. Why is there confusion surrounding the Planck length?

There is confusion surrounding the Planck length because it is a concept that is difficult for many people to understand. It is also often associated with other complex theories and ideas in quantum mechanics.

3. Is the Planck length the smallest length in the universe?

Yes, according to current theories, the Planck length is considered to be the smallest possible length that can exist in the universe. However, this is still a topic of debate among scientists.

4. How is the Planck length calculated?

The Planck length is calculated using a combination of fundamental constants in physics, including the speed of light, the gravitational constant, and the Planck constant.

5. Why is the Planck length important?

The Planck length is important because it is a fundamental unit of length that helps us understand the scale and workings of the universe at the quantum level. It also plays a crucial role in theories such as string theory and loop quantum gravity.