Is the position vector a real vector?

In summary, the position vector is a real vector, but it can change in magnitude and direction depending on the reference frame that is used.
WildBohr137
Is the position vector a real vector?
I have a hard time with this question because vectors are unchanged if I were to change my reference frame.
Example: If I place a pencil such that it points towards the door. It doesn’t matter what I define my origin to be. The pencil’s length and direction remain unchanged.
However this is not true for the position vector. Example: If I move my origin back 5 meters then the position vector changes its magnitude and direction.

Please let me know if I have been trolled here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, position is better characterized as an affine space than a vector space.

A vector space has some operations that don’t make sense for the space of positions. Specifically, the addition of two positions doesn’t make sense (which position is the position of New York plus the position of Paris?), nor does the multiplication of a position by a real number (which position is 5 times the position of New York?).

However, the difference between two positions is a vector, and differences in position form a vector space with sensible addition and multiplication operations.

In curved spacetimes positions lose even their affine structure. In curved spacetime the best mathematical structure is a manifold. The difference between two positions is no longer a vector except locally.

Likes David Lewis, phinds, sophiecentaur and 3 others
Dale said:
Indeed, position is better characterized as an affine space than a vector space.

A vector space has some operations that don’t make sense for the space of positions. Specifically, the addition of two positions doesn’t make sense (which position is the position of New York plus the position of Paris?), nor does the multiplication of a position by a real number (which position is 5 times the position of New York?).

However, the difference between two positions is a vector, and differences in position form a vector space with sensible addition and multiplication operations.

In curved spacetimes positions lose even their affine structure. In curved spacetime the best mathematical structure is a manifold. The difference between two positions is no longer a vector except locally.
Thanks! I’ll share this with my friends.

WildBohr137 said:
Thanks! I’ll share this with my friends.
"It's not for me, Doctor; it's for a friend. :smile:

But you were the one to go to the trouble of asking the question. 10/10
And you will knock 'em dead with @Dale 's great answer.

Likes WildBohr137
sophiecentaur said:
"It's not for me, Doctor; it's for a friend. :smile:

But you were the one to go to the trouble of asking the question. 10/10
And you will knock 'em dead with @Dale 's great answer.
Haha thanks!

What is a real vector?

Likes WildBohr137
malawi_glenn said:
What is a real vector?
It's not one of those knock-off fake vectors that you get from Southeast Asia

• Care
Likes malawi_glenn
malawi_glenn said:
What is a real vector?
One that the is fully automatic:

haushofer said:
One that the is fully automatic:
Yoiks, that dog running downrange almost wasn't a real dog anymore... :oops:

• Haha
Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is a position vector?

A position vector is a mathematical representation of the location of a point in space. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing from the origin to the point, and its magnitude represents the distance from the origin.

2. Is the position vector a physical quantity?

No, the position vector is a mathematical concept used to describe the location of a point in space. It is not a physical quantity like velocity or force.

3. Can the position vector be negative?

Yes, the position vector can have negative components if the point is located in a direction opposite to the positive axes. However, the magnitude of the position vector is always positive.

4. How is the position vector different from a displacement vector?

The position vector represents the location of a point in space, while a displacement vector represents the change in position of a point from one location to another. The displacement vector has both magnitude and direction, while the position vector only has magnitude.

5. Is the position vector a real vector?

Yes, the position vector is considered a real vector because it follows the properties of a vector, such as having magnitude and direction, and being able to undergo vector operations like addition and subtraction.