Is the Salt Crystal Lamp Really Effective as an Air Purifier?

In summary, this lamp is supposed to emit negative ions which supposedly fight against positively charged particles that cause us to feel stuffy and sluggish. However, the lamp does not emit enough negative ions to have an effect, and even electronic air purifiers that use negative ion technology do not deliver antidepressant effects.
luxun2
So my dad got this Salt Crystal Lamp for a wedding gift that supposedly freshens the air naturally, and I need some help explaining to him why this doesn't actually work. It says on the box: "This lamp is scientifically proven to work like an air purifier. When lit, it can emit negative ions that fight against positively charged particles that cause us to feel stuffy and sluggish."
Paraphrasing here, it also vaguely implies that " A heat source will ionize the air with the help of the Himalayan salt that encompasses it."

In order for particles to be ionized don't you need a particle emitted with a big charge like an alpha particle? Also, since when do positively charged particles cause mal-effects in humans or tissue? Well, if you could help clarify this to me and furthermore my dad I would be very grateful. Even more interesting is how expensive this lamp was, you'd think it would look sharp but no. It looks like rice that went bad, considering its just a misshapen salt block with bulb in it. But I have a feeling you guys are smart enough to know this is a product that is trying to sell you something you didn't know you need. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that negative ion therapy has shown to help alleviate depression in clinical studies, but it was a very high amount of negative ions, the salt lamps and even air purifiers that emit negative ions do not emit enough to produce an effect.

The method does have an interesting precedent, in that many electronic air purifiers utilize negative ion technology. However, don’t expect your air purifier to deliver antidepressant effects—most often, the dose would be far too low, and we are evaluating special apparatus for this purpose.

http://asp.cumc.columbia.edu/psych/asktheexperts/ask_the_experts_inquiry.asp?SI=102

More here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_air_ionization_therapy

those lamps... we have one in our living room and I feel like throwing it into the bin ever since the moment my parents took it home. It's okay if you like its looks (doesn't look like it from your post), otherwise there are much more fulfilling ways to spend your money. Most of my friends in medical school and doctors I've talked to always shake their heads in disgust when people ask them about that negative ion business.

I know someone that has one, it's a nice night light. As a piece of accent furniture, they can be attractive. Do they do anything except put out a bit of light from the light bulb, no.

Thanks for the replies guys.

wukunlin said:
those lamps... we have one in our living room and I feel like throwing it into the bin ever since the moment my parents took it home. It's okay if you like its looks (doesn't look like it from your post), otherwise there are much more fulfilling ways to spend your money. Most of my friends in medical school and doctors I've talked to always shake their heads in disgust when people ask them about that negative ion business.

Combine it with that wristband that has frequencies inside of it to make you never fall down, and you'll be immortal.

1. How does a salt crystal lamp work?

Salt crystal lamps are believed to work by releasing negative ions into the air. These ions are thought to counteract the positive ions emitted by electronic devices and other pollutants, leading to improved air quality and potential health benefits.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the claims about salt crystal lamps?

While there have been some studies on the effects of negative ions on air quality, there is no scientific evidence to specifically support the claims about salt crystal lamps. Many of the health benefits attributed to these lamps are based on anecdotal evidence and have not been scientifically proven.

3. Do salt crystal lamps emit light?

Yes, salt crystal lamps do emit a soft, warm glow when lit. However, the light emitted is not strong enough to serve as a primary source of light in a room.

4. Can salt crystal lamps help with allergies or respiratory issues?

While some people claim that salt crystal lamps have helped with their allergies or respiratory issues, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional for proper treatment of allergies or respiratory issues.

5. Do salt crystal lamps have any benefits besides improving air quality?

Besides their potential effects on air quality, salt crystal lamps can also serve as a calming and aesthetically pleasing addition to a room. However, any other health benefits attributed to these lamps have not been scientifically proven.