Is the Stick Lying Against the Wall at Rest?

• Thread starter coconut62
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary, the floor needs to be rough to provide a horizontal reaction force to balance the weight of the stick.
coconut62

Homework Statement

A stick is lying at rest against the wall. Which of the following statements is true?

A) Friction must be present on both the wall and the floor surfaces.
B) The wall surface must be rough, but the floor may be smooth.
C) The floor surface must be rough, but the wall may be smooth.
D) The wall and the floor surfaces can both be smooth.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose D. The answer is C.

I know there's the weight of the stick acting downwards.
The reaction force of the wall on the stick.
The reaction force of the floor on the stick.

Because the reaction of the wall ----> must have a horizontal component (even if it's not horizontal), so there should be a <---- force provided by the floor.

But can't the floor just provide that by having a non-vertical reaction force?

Attachments

• stick.jpg
    stick.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
coconut62 said:

Homework Statement

A stick is lying at rest against the wall. Which of the following statements is true?

A) Friction must be present on both the wall and the floor surfaces.
B) The wall surface must be rough, but the floor may be smooth.
C) The floor surface must be rough, but the wall may be smooth.
D) The wall and the floor surfaces can both be smooth.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose D. The answer is C.

I know there's the weight of the stick acting downwards.
The reaction force of the wall on the stick.
The reaction force of the floor on the stick.

Because the reaction of the wall ----> must have a horizontal component (even if it's not horizontal), so there should be a <---- force provided by the floor.

The reaction force from a surface is always normal to the surface. It is often called "normal force". Imagine that the reaction force from the floor has horizontal component. Then a box on the floor would accelerate by itself.

ehild

Why the reaction force from a hinge can be slanted?

The cross section of the hinge is circular, the reaction force is radial, it can have any direction, normal to the surface of the hinge.

ehild

ehild said:
The reaction force from a surface is always normal to the surface.
Not sure I go along with that. Why can't the friction be considered part of the reaction? It's a reaction against a tendency to slide, no? If I try to push a box along the floor, friction between the box and the floor applies a horizontal force to the floor, and I feel the floor's reaction to that.
I thought this in the OP was good enough:

Usually we talk about normal force and friction separately in such problems, instead of "reaction force" as something, including both, and having arbitrary direction. Normal force is force of constraint. Friction is a force opposing relative motion, and related to the normal force. It does not exist without the normal force.

The original question was if the floor must be rough in order to keep the stick in rest. Coconut62's answer "C" was correct, the horizontal reaction force from the wall had to be balanced by a horizontal force from the floor. That force is provided by friction. He asked if the reaction force from the floor could have horizontal component, which meant he did not consider friction as reaction force.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
He asked if the reaction force from the floor could have horizontal component, which meant he did not consider friction as reaction force.

ehild
That's true, cocnut62 wrote:
But I don't think the right response is to say the reaction force is always normal to the surface. Rather, the reaction force consists of a normal component and a parallel component; the parallel component is what we call friction.

Well, the reaction force need not be normal to the ground even in case of no friction. The surface might be slightly deformed by the object and the deformed surface can exert a force parallel with the original surface. But the Introductory Physics courses consider a surface macroscopically smooth and not deformable, and call the force of constraint exerted by the support "normal force" as reaction force to weight or pressing force of the object.
What we call "reaction force" from a support, it depends on the definition, friction may or may not included. I could not know how it was taught to the OP, but it seemed to me, that they did not include friction. Anyway, he was right, the floor need not be rough, it can be sticky to prevent the stick from sliding.
ehild

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What causes a stick to stand upright against a wall?

The stick stands upright against the wall due to the force of gravity. The center of mass of the stick is balanced over its base, allowing it to remain in a stable position against the wall.

2. Will any stick be able to stand against a wall?

No, not all sticks will be able to stand against a wall. The stick must have a flat base and be balanced in its weight distribution to remain upright against the wall.

3. Can a stick stand against any type of wall surface?

Yes, a stick can stand against any type of wall surface as long as it is stable and the surface is not too slippery. However, some surfaces, such as a rough brick wall, may provide more friction and make it easier for the stick to stand upright.

4. Is there any scientific explanation for why a stick can stand against a wall?

Yes, the scientific explanation for why a stick can stand against a wall is due to the principles of equilibrium and balance. The stick's center of mass must be directly over its base in order to maintain stability and remain upright against the wall.

5. How long can a stick stand against a wall before falling?

The length of time a stick can stand against a wall depends on various factors such as the stick's weight, the surface it is leaning against, and any external forces acting upon it. With proper balance and stability, a stick can potentially stand against a wall indefinitely.