Is the Symmetric Difference of Finite-Dimensional Subspaces Well-Defined?

In summary: I don't really understand this part. So, if U has dimension k and V has dimension l, then the set of all orthonormal vectors in U+V has dimension k+l.
Talisman
Suppose U and V are finite-dimensional subspaces of some finite-dimensional space W (over the field Q in my actual case, but probably irrelevant)

I've got a subspace in mind that I can't quite define well. I'll start with a concrete example:

Consider R^3 with orthonormal basis {x, y, z}. Let U = Span{x, y} and V = Span{y, z}. The symmetric difference of {x, y} and {y, z} is {x, z}, and the strange thing I want is Span{x, z}. I resorted to using an "obvious" basis set here, but I want to know if the thing I'm looking for is well-defined. What if I haven't picked a basis; what if it's not a normed space; what if it's not even an inner product space; etc.

A bit more formally: Let [tex]U \cap V = I[/tex] have dimension k > 0. Then I can pick an orthonormal basis for I, Bi = {b1, ..., bk}, and then choose an orthonormal basis for [tex]U + V = Span(U \cup V)[/tex] (call it simply B) that has Bi as a subset. Now Span(B \ Bi) is uniquely defined (I think).

Is that well-defined, or is my intuition wrong? If it is, is there a cleaner way of specifying it?

Even if this is true, my problems have only just begun: the W I have in mind is not an inner product space; it's R over Q, with U and V being subspaces of some n-dimensional subspace S.

S is isomorphic to Q^n, so I can define an inner product and norm, but this seems like a painful way to go about things.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The orthocomplement of Bi in U+V ...

In general, the orthocomplement of K in H (K a subspace of H) is the set of all elements of H orthogonal to K. But you probably need real scalars, not rational.

Thanks g_edgar! The following then seems like it should hold, although my proof may be wrong.

Let [tex]U \cap V = I[/tex] have dimension k > 0. Let O be the orthocomplement of [tex]I[/tex] in [tex]W = U + V[/tex], [tex]O_{U}[/tex] be the orthocomplement of [tex]I[/tex] in [tex]U[/tex], and [tex]O_{V}[/tex] be the orthocomplement of [tex]I[/tex] in [tex]V[/tex].

Then [tex]O = O_{U} + O_{V}[/tex].

Seems straightforward: If U has dimension u, V has dimension v, and I has dimension i, then O is a subspace of W with dimension u+v-2i. Meanwhile, O_u has dimension u-i, and O_v has dimension v-i. Since O_u and O_v are linearly independent subspaces of O and have dimensions summing to u+v-2i, O_u + O_v = O.

Maybe?

Last edited:

Related to Is the Symmetric Difference of Finite-Dimensional Subspaces Well-Defined?

1. What is a strange kind of subspace?

A strange kind of subspace is a theoretical concept in physics that describes a region of space that has properties that are different from those of our normal three-dimensional space. It is often used in science fiction to explain phenomena such as time travel or parallel universes.

2. How is a strange kind of subspace different from our normal space?

A strange kind of subspace is different from our normal space in that it can have different dimensions and properties. For example, it may have more than three dimensions or allow for movement in directions that are not possible in our three-dimensional space.

3. What causes a strange kind of subspace to exist?

The existence of a strange kind of subspace is purely theoretical and has not been proven in reality. It is a concept used by scientists to explore the possibilities of space and time beyond what we currently understand.

4. Can humans access or travel through a strange kind of subspace?

Currently, there is no known way for humans to access or travel through a strange kind of subspace. It is purely a theoretical concept and there is no evidence to suggest that it exists in our physical universe.

5. What implications does a strange kind of subspace have for our understanding of the universe?

The concept of a strange kind of subspace challenges our current understanding of space and time and opens up the possibility of parallel universes and alternate realities. It also has implications for theories such as general relativity and quantum mechanics, as it could potentially explain phenomena that these theories cannot.