Is the Validity of an Argument Dependent on Premise Truth?

• MHB
  • Thread starter solakis1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a valid argument in mathematical logic and whether a valid argument can have false premises and a true conclusion. The participants also provide examples and ask for clarification on the definition.
solakis1
it has been claimed that in an argument false premises can never produce a correct conclusion.is that correct ??

Physics news on Phys.org
"An argument" is not a term that is used in most textbooks of mathematical logic. What Copi calls a valid or invalid argument is a true (correspondingly, false) claim about logical (or semantic) consequence. This claim is usually denoted by $\Gamma\models A$ where $\Gamma$ is a set of formulas and $A$ is another formula.

That said, a valid argument with false premises can definitely have a true conclusion. For example, $p\land\neg p\models q\to q$ is a valid argument (form).

If tomorrow is Christmas then 2+ 2= 4.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
"An argument" is not a term that is used in most textbooks of mathematical logic. What Copi calls a valid or invalid argument is a true (correspondingly, false) claim about logical (or semantic) consequence. This claim is usually denoted by $\Gamma\models A$ where $\Gamma$ is a set of formulas and $A$ is another formula.

That said, a valid argument with false premises can definitely have a true conclusion. For example, $p\land\neg p\models q\to q$ is a valid argument (form).
Is the following argument valid?
1)if 2+2=4,then 3+6=5.......false
2) 2+2 is not 4..........false
conclusion: 3+6 is not 5........true
Here we also have false premises implying true conclusion

Since the term "argument" is not usually used in books on mathematical logic, as I wrote above, I am not familiar with the definition of a valid argument when it involves digits, + and =. If the statements occurring in an argument are proposition or predicate formulas that consist of some generic propositional variables, functionl and predicate symbols, then I believe I know the definition, but not when formulas have symbols that usually have a fixed meaning.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Since the term "argument" is not usually used in books on mathematical logic, as I wrote above, I am not familiar with the definition of a valid argument when it involves digits, + and =. If the statements occurring in an argument are proposition or predicate formulas that consist of some generic propositional variables, functionl and predicate symbols, then I believe I know the definition, but not when formulas have symbols that usually have a fixed meaning.
okay let me get rid of the +,=

1) if London is in England ,then Paris is in Gernany......false
2) but London is not in England...............false
conclusion: hence Paris is not in Gernany...........true
Is that argument valid?
That is propositional calculus
London is in England is a proposition which is true
Paris is in Gernany is also a proposition which false
Hence Paris in not in Germany is proposition which is true
London is not in England is a proposition which is false

Instead of writing another example it would be more useful to provide a definition of a valid argument.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
If the statements occurring in an argument are proposition or predicate formulas that consist of some generic propositional variables, functional and predicate symbols, then I believe I know the definition, but not when formulas have symbols that usually have a fixed meaning.
Your argument involves not just propositional variables, but propositional constants (such as "London is in England"), which have fixed truth values.

i did write on my post No 6 that the argument form corresponding to the argument mentioned is the formula ((p->q)$~p)->~q) where p,q are variables and the above argument is just an instant subsitution of this formula.
But i don't know why that disappeared from my post No 6

The argument that derives $\neg q$ from $p\to q$ and $\neg p$ is not valid. You most likely already know this.

OK
Evgeny.Makarov said:
The argument that derives $\neg q$ from $p\to q$ and $\neg p$ is not valid. You most likely already know this.
OK and one of the substitution instances of this argument form is my argument in post No 6
And i ask you again is the argument in that post valid?

solakis said:
And i ask you again is the argument in that post valid?
And I am telling you again:
Evgeny.Makarov said:
If the statements occurring in an argument are proposition or predicate formulas that consist of some generic propositional variables, functional and predicate symbols, then I believe I know the definition, but not when formulas have symbols that usually have a fixed meaning.
And knowing your tendency to conceal the definitions you use, I expect you to ask this question several more times without revealing the definition or the reason for your question.

Related to Is the Validity of an Argument Dependent on Premise Truth?

1. What is a false premise?

A false premise is a statement or assumption that is not true or accurate. It is often used as a starting point for an argument or reasoning, but if the premise is false, the conclusion drawn from it will also be false.

2. How can a false premise affect the outcome of an experiment?

A false premise can significantly impact the outcome of an experiment as it can lead to incorrect conclusions. If the premise is not based on reliable evidence or is biased, the results of the experiment will be flawed and not reflect the actual truth.

3. What is a false conclusion?

A false conclusion is a statement that is drawn from a false premise. It may seem logical and reasonable, but it is not supported by evidence or facts. It is important to carefully evaluate the premises and evidence before drawing a conclusion to avoid false conclusions.

4. How can we identify false premises and conclusions?

To identify false premises and conclusions, we need to critically evaluate the evidence and reasoning used to support them. We can look for any biases, logical fallacies, or lack of evidence. It is also helpful to consider alternative explanations and perspectives.

5. How can we avoid using false premises and conclusions in our scientific research?

To avoid using false premises and conclusions in scientific research, it is important to follow the scientific method and use reliable and unbiased sources of information. We should also be open to challenging our own assumptions and beliefs and be willing to revise our conclusions based on new evidence.