Is The Velocity Of This Object Increasing Or Decreasing?

In summary, the plot describes a velocity that is negative at the start but becomes less negative over time, eventually reaching zero and then becoming more and more positive. The slope of the line indicates a constant and positive acceleration. The magnitude of the velocity (i.e. speed) is decreasing, but the velocity itself is increasing in the positive direction. It is important to note that velocity and speed are not the same, and velocity can be negative or positive.
kingandsona

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,
8th grade physics teacher here.

We are doing a handout where we have to identify time-velocity graphs with descriptions. Can you help me with this one?

https://imgur.com/a/vEIkg

A) The velocity is increasing at a uniform rate.
B) The velocity is decreasing at a uniform rate.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought it was decreasing but then an 8th grade student said 1) the slope is positive and 2) if you continue the line after the x-axis it will be increasing. Also, the Vf is literally higher on the y-axis than Vi.dd

I think the same question could be raised about displacement that is negative but with a positive slope approaching the x-axis. The displacement on the y-axis would be going up, but it is decreasing since it's getting closer to the starting point.

Let me know your thoughts!

Physics news on Phys.org
yPBCObO.png

You want to clearly distinguish "is positive/negative" from "is increasing/decreasing"

Positive velocity means "is moving in the positive direction"
Negative velocity means "is moving in the negative direction" (backwards, if you want)

The plot describes a velocity that is negative at the start but becomes more and more positive as time proceeds. The straight line shows that it increases at a uniform rate (+1 unit per +2 time units)

Ah, and: hello king&sonA, :welcome: . Happy teaching :rolleyes: !

Attachments

• yPBCObO.png
    yPBCObO.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 489
kingandsona said:

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,
8th grade physics teacher here.

We are doing a handout where we have to identify time-velocity graphs with descriptions. Can you help me with this one?

https://imgur.com/a/vEIkg

A) The velocity is increasing at a uniform rate.
B) The velocity is decreasing at a uniform rate.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought it was decreasing but then an 8th grade student said 1) the slope is positive and 2) if you continue the line after the x-axis it will be increasing. Also, the Vf is literally higher on the y-axis than Vi.dd

I think the same question could be raised about displacement that is negative but with a positive slope approaching the x-axis. The displacement on the y-axis would be going up, but it is decreasing since it's getting closer to the starting point.

Let me know your thoughts!

Velocity can be positive or negative, and is negative in your graph. However, speed is the magnitude of velocity, so is always >= 0.

In your case, velocity is increasing and speed is decreasing.

Likes CWatters and berkeman
In the case of 2d or 3d motion there would be no "positive" and "negative" directions, so in that case any motion with decreasing speed could also be described as having a decreasing velocity.

Likes PeroK
Look at the graph of again, think of it this way. First the car is moving in the backward direction as the velocity is negative, but then it's slowing down as the velocity in the negative direction is decreasing in magnitude and then comes to a halt after some time. The negative sign just tells you the direction of motion in 1D. Why are you looking at the slope? This is not position time graph . The slope of velocity time graph gives you acceleration and the acceleration in this case is constant.

NoahCygnus said:
Look at the graph of again, think of it this way. First the car is moving in the backward direction as the velocity is negative, but then it's slowing down as the velocity in the negative direction is decreasing in magnitude and then comes to a halt after some time. The negative sign just tells you the direction of motion in 1D. Why are you looking at the slope? This is not position time graph . The slope of velocity time graph gives you acceleration and the acceleration in this case is constant.

He is looking at the slope because that tells him the rate of increase or decrease in velocity

Ray Vickson said:
He is looking at the slope because that tells him the rate of increase or decrease in velocity
Well in that case the acceleration is a constant and positive, the velocity is negative so the velocity will decrease and hit zero and then start increasing at a constant rate in the positive direction.

NoahCygnus said:
Well in that case the acceleration is a constant and positive, the velocity is negative so the velocity will decrease
No, the magnitude of the velocity (i.e. the speed) will decrease, but the velocity becomes less negative, so is increasing.

haruspex said:
No, the magnitude of the velocity (i.e. the speed) will decrease, but the velocity becomes less negative, so is increasing.
That is what I said in my first post.
NoahCygnus said:
the velocity in the negative direction is decreasing in magnitude

NoahCygnus said:
That is what I said in my first post.
But in post #7 you wrote
NoahCygnus said:
the velocity will decrease
which is incorrect.
Besides "velocity in the negative direction" doesn't really mean anything. By definition, velocity is measured in the positive direction.

haruspex said:
But in post #7 you wrote

which is incorrect.
Will decrease in magnitude in the negative direction. I guess it wasn't self explanatory that by saying "Velocity will decrease", I meant it will decrease it's magnitude in the negative direction and hit zero and then increase its magnitude again but the direction of the velocity vector will be the positive direction.

NoahCygnus said:
I guess it wasn't self explanatory that by saying "Velocity will decrease"
Whatever you intended, the statement "Velocity will decrease" is simply wrong. These are well-defined terms. If you meant something else then you used the wrong terminology.

NoahCygnus said:
Well in that case the acceleration is a constant and positive, the velocity is negative so the velocity will decrease and hit zero and then start increasing at a constant rate in the positive direction.

You cannot say that because you have no way of knowing what the graph looks like outside the region plotted.

What you all missed is that this post is identical, word for word, to the one below from the 19th of December.

Likes jbriggs444
Why so it is. Different author names, but identical post. How droll.

NoahCygnus said:
Look at the graph of again, think of it this way. First the car is moving in the backward direction ...
Funny you bring in the word "car" -- I didn't see it anywhere

BvU said:
Funny you bring in the word "car" -- I didn't see it anywhere
So just because it's not given in the problem I can't assume the particle undergoing motion is a car. All right.

It might seem strange but the direction you define as "positive" determines if the velocity is increasing or decreasing.

Likes Willow Wanda and PeroK

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object changes its position. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. The formula for velocity is v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is displacement, and Δt is change in time.

3. How do you determine if the velocity of an object is increasing or decreasing?

The velocity of an object is increasing if its speed is increasing or if it is moving in a positive direction. It is decreasing if its speed is decreasing or if it is moving in a negative direction. This can be determined by analyzing the change in velocity over time.

4. What factors can affect the velocity of an object?

The velocity of an object can be affected by factors such as acceleration, friction, and external forces. For example, if an object is accelerating, its velocity will change over time. Friction can also slow down an object's velocity, while external forces such as gravity can affect its direction.

5. Why is it important to know if the velocity of an object is increasing or decreasing?

Knowing the velocity of an object and whether it is increasing or decreasing is important in understanding its motion and predicting its future movements. It can also help in determining the forces acting on the object and identifying any potential risks or hazards.