Is the weight of a small satellite in its orbit zero?

In summary, the weight of a satellite in its orbit is determined by its mass and the force of gravity acting on it. While the weight may appear to be zero, it still has mass and is subject to the force of gravity. The weight of a satellite does not directly affect its movement, but it does play a role in the amount of fuel and thrust needed to maintain its orbit. The weight of a satellite in its orbit can change due to factors such as changes in mass or changes in gravitational force. It can be measured using the same methods as on Earth, but it is more common to use the terms "mass" and "gravitational force" to describe a satellite's weight in orbit.
shk

Physics news on Phys.org
shk said:
How is weight measured? And what would the result be for a satellite?

I'm not going to give a sarky answer to a zero research effort question here, so I'll just report the labeling.

m4r35n357 said:
so I'll just report the labeling.
I have changed it from A to B.

Duplicate thread locked

1. What determines the weight of a small satellite in its orbit?

The weight of a satellite in its orbit is determined by its mass and the force of gravity acting on it. The satellite's mass remains constant, but the force of gravity may vary depending on the distance from the satellite to the center of the planet or celestial body it is orbiting.

2. Is the weight of a small satellite in its orbit always zero?

No, the weight of a satellite in its orbit is not always zero. While the satellite may appear to be weightless due to the absence of a supporting surface, it still has mass and is subject to the force of gravity.

3. How does the weight of a small satellite in its orbit affect its movement?

The weight of a satellite in its orbit does not directly affect its movement. The satellite's motion is determined by its velocity and the gravitational force acting on it. However, the weight of the satellite does play a role in the amount of fuel and thrust needed to maintain its orbit.

4. Can the weight of a small satellite in its orbit change?

Yes, the weight of a satellite in its orbit can change due to several factors such as changes in its mass or changes in the gravitational force acting on it. For example, if a satellite collects debris or fuel during its mission, its weight will increase.

5. How is the weight of a small satellite in its orbit measured?

The weight of a satellite in its orbit can be measured using the same methods as on Earth. However, due to the lack of a supporting surface, it is more common to use the terms "mass" and "gravitational force" to describe a satellite's weight in orbit.