Is the work caused by the force of friction negative?

In summary: If that work is negative then adding it to the initial kinetic energy results in a decrease.In no case do you subtract the work done on a system from the energy already in the system. That's a sign error.In summary, a student pushes a 0.65kg book along a desk and when he stops pushing it, the book moves 85cm before slowing down. The coefficient of friction between the book and the desk is 0.27. The work done on the book by friction should be negative because friction is in the opposite direction of displacement, reducing the kinetic energy of the book. The net energy statements are ΣE2 = ΣE1 - w, where w represents the
Jamesgortrig

Homework Statement

A student pushes a 0.65kg box Ali g a desk. When he stops pushing the book, it moves 85cm before stoping (slowing down in this period). Coefficient of friction between book and Table is 0.27.Calculate the work done on the book by the friction. Should it be positive or negative?

Homework Equations

Doesn't matter. Just need theory explanation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm struggling on the last part. I calculated work to be 1.46J, but I don't know if it's positive or negative. I say it's. Negative, because the force of friction is opposite to the displacement, but the answer says positive?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry. It should say he pushes a book ALONG a desk.

I usually work this sort of thing out by considering what is doing the work on what.
Work done on the body is the change in that bodies energy ... which is negative if the bodies energy decreases.

Think gravity... when the body is lifted, there is negative work done by the gravitational field and positive work done by the lifting force.

That way you are thinking in phyiscal terms rather than just mathematical definitions.

BTW: By definition, whatever applies the force does work according to: $$\mathrm{d}W = \vec F \cdot \mathrm{d}\vec s$$

Likes Delta2
To compliment the first reply - keep in mind the following: If the force has a component in the same direction as the displacement of the object, the force is doing positive work. If the force has a component in the direction opposite to the displacement, the force does negative work.

Likes Enelafoxa
Jamesgortrig said:
I'm struggling on the last part. I calculated work to be 1.46J, but I don't know if it's positive or negative. I say it's. Negative, because the force of friction is opposite to the displacement, but the answer says positive?

I'd agree with you. The work done by friction is negative in this case, because a) it is in the opposite direction from the displacement and b) it reduces the KE of the book.

My net energy statements are...
ΣE2 = ΣE1 - w

In this case, calculating a positive answer badges server right? But I would still consider it to be negative?

Jamesgortrig said:
My net energy statements are...
ΣE2 = ΣE1 - w
The sum of all energies afterward equals the sum of all energies before minus work done in between?
Work done by external entities on the system?
Or work done by the system on external entities?

jbriggs444 said:
The sum of all energies afterward equals the sum of all energies before minus work done in between?
Work done by external entities on the system?
Or work done by the system on external entities?
Work done on the book by the table (resulting in the friction). So technically external because it's a normal external interaction with the desk

Jamesgortrig said:
Work done on the book by the table (resulting in the friction). So technically external because it's a normal external interaction with the desk
Why would you subtract the energy that is added to the system?

jbriggs444 said:
Why would you subtract the energy that is added to the system?
Well, in the first instant of time when the book is being pushed, there's more energy than the second instant. I'm subtracting because friction is in opposite direction of displacement. With the force pushing the book gone, ∑E2 should have the work subtracted from it, as the friction from the table is working against the book.

Jamesgortrig said:
Well, in the first instant of time when the book is being pushed, there's more energy than the second instant.
Stop right there.

If you are talking about the book being pushed then the external work being done is from the push. Friction is not yet being considered. So do not consider it.

The work that is being done by the push should be added to the initial energy of the book to get the final energy of the book.

Now we can proceed to consider friction after the push has ended. The work done by friction on the book is still added to the kinetic energy of the book. If that work is positive then adding it to the initial kinetic energy results in an increase. If that work is negative then adding it to the initial kinetic energy results in a decrease.

In no case do you subtract the work done on a system from the energy already in the system. That's a sign error.

jbriggs444 said:
Stop right there.

If you are talking about the book being pushed then the external work being done is from the push. Friction is not yet being considered. So do not consider it.

The work that is being done by the push should be added to the initial energy of the book to get the final energy of the book.

Now we can proceed to consider friction after the push has ended. The work done by friction on the book is still added to the kinetic energy of the book. If that work is positive then adding it to the initial kinetic energy results in an increase. If that work is negative then adding it to the initial kinetic energy results in a decrease.

In no case do you subtract the work done on a system from the energy already in the system. That's a sign error.
So under no circumstances I subtract work in an energy statement? It's always added?

Jamesgortrig said:
So under no circumstances I subtract work in an energy statement? It's always added?
You could subtract the work done on a system from the final energy of that system to get the initial energy of that system.

You could subtract the work done by a system from the initial energy of that system to get the final energy of that system -- if you had an assurance that there were no dissipative losses. [But with sliding friction there will be dissipative losses, so that's a non-starter in this case]

Jamesgortrig said:
If you're using the conventional definition of work, you should always have ##E_\text{f}-E_\text{i}=W##. What you don't want to do is say that because friction is going to slow the object down that ##E_\text{f}-E_\text{i}=-W##. In the case of kinetic friction, the work is negative (##W<0##), so putting in the minus sign into the equation by hand is unnecessary.

Likes jbriggs444

1. What is the force of friction?

The force of friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the irregularities and roughness of the surfaces, and it acts in the opposite direction of the applied force.

2. How is the force of friction measured?

The force of friction can be measured using a spring scale or a force meter. The force required to overcome the frictional force and keep an object moving at a constant speed is equal to the force of friction.

3. Is the force of friction always negative?

In most cases, the force of friction is negative because it acts in the opposite direction of the applied force. However, in some cases, such as rolling friction, the force of friction can act in the same direction as the applied force, making it positive.

4. How does the force of friction affect motion?

The force of friction can either slow down or stop the motion of an object, or it can also cause an object to move at a constant speed. It depends on the direction and magnitude of the applied force and the force of friction.

5. Can the force of friction be reduced?

Yes, the force of friction can be reduced by using lubricants or by making the surfaces smoother. This can help in reducing the amount of energy needed to overcome the frictional force and can also prevent wear and tear on the surfaces.