Is the Young's Modulus Equation Homogeneous?

In summary, the conversation is about an experiment to determine the young's modulus and the equation involved. There is a mistake in the calculation of the base units, resulting in the equation not being homogeneous. The units for the Young's modulus are discussed and it is found that there was a mistake in the calculation. The correct units for the Young's modulus are kg.m^-1.s^-2.
Frozenblaze1

Homework Statement

I'm doing an experiment to determine the young's modulus involving the following equation:

Homework Equations

PP9IZ62.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding the base units of the young's modulus with the equation resulted in the young's modulus being dimensionless, which of course is not true.

GPYmxEh.jpg

Further attempts to check if the equation is homogeneous resulted in the equation not being homogeneous. Can someone double check whether or not this is the case?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The difference between two values with units kg/m is a value with units kg/m.

If it happens to be exactly zero, then some quantity is zero, but that is not part of the dimensional analysis.

Likes Frozenblaze1
mfb said:
The difference between two values with units kg/m is a value with units kg/m.

If it happens to be exactly zero, then some quantity is zero, but that is not part of the dimensional analysis.

You're right, that's a mistake.

I've worked out the base units again and this is what i got.

[tex]\frac{m}{y} = \frac{8.π.r^2.ϒ.y^2}{g.L^3} + \frac{4.T}{L.g}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{kg}{m} = \frac{kg.m^5.s^-2}{m^4.s^-2} + \frac{kg}{m}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{kg}{m} = kg.m + \frac{kg}{m}[/tex]
This means the equation is not homogeneous right? Or is there a mistake somewhere?

Check the units of Young's modulus.

I checked the units in your equation, and they look OK to me.

The equation in post 1 ("Relevant equations") has matching units. The calculation in post 3 has a mistake.

Yeah, I was taking the value of the Young's from google which seems to be incorrect. It should be kg.m^-1.s^-2
SsE0QLr.png

What is Young's modulus equation?

Young's modulus equation, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness of a material. It is used to describe the ratio of stress to strain in a material under tensile or compressive forces.

How is Young's modulus calculated?

You can calculate Young's modulus by dividing the stress (force per unit area) by the strain (change in length divided by original length) of the material. The resulting unit is typically in gigapascals (GPa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

What are some factors that can affect Young's modulus?

The composition, structure, and temperature of a material can all affect its Young's modulus. Generally, materials with strong bonding between atoms tend to have a higher modulus, while materials with weaker bonds have a lower modulus.

Is Young's modulus the same for all materials?

No, Young's modulus varies for different materials. For example, diamonds have a very high Young's modulus of around 1,200 GPa, while rubber has a much lower modulus of around 0.01 GPa.

Why is Young's modulus important in material science?

Young's modulus is an important property in material science as it helps to determine the strength, stiffness, and elasticity of a material. It is also used to predict how a material will behave under different types of stresses, which is crucial for designing and engineering structures and products.