Is there a better way to present proofs by contradiction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of proof by contradiction and its effectiveness in proving statements. One example shows the proof of n being even if and only if n^2 is even, which can also be proven using the contrapositive. Another example presents a more well-crafted proof by contradiction, showing that every integer greater than 1 can be written as a product of prime numbers. The difference between the two proofs lies in the assumption made and its contradiction, with the latter providing a stronger proof. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of clear and concise presentation in proof by contradiction.
Dr. Seafood
Sometimes I find that while a proof can be carried out "by contradiction", this is a pretty sloppy way of proving the desired statement. I wonder if the "←" direction of the following proof is sound presentation of proof by contradiction.

Statement. An integer is even if and only if its square is even.

Proof. First suppose the integer n is even. Then for some k ∈ ℤ, n = 2k and n2 = 4k2 = 2(2k2), so n2 is even. Conversely, if n2 is even, suppose n is odd. Then n = 2k + 1 with k ∈ ℤ. Then n2 = (2k + 1)2 = 4k2 + 4k + 1 = 2(2k2 + 2k) + 1, so n2 is odd; a contradiction. Thus n must be even. □

Is it messy to prove "n2 is even ⇒ n is even" (*) via contradiction? It seems like a jumble of words in this case. I didn't actually rely on the assumption "n2 is even" when directly showing that n = 2k + 1 leads to contradict that. I feel like all I've done is shown that the square of an odd integer is also odd. It seems like a messy way to go about it, there should be a more well-crafted proof for that.

In my opinion the next proof is a strong example of proof by contradiction:

Statement. Every integer greater than 1 can be written as a product of prime numbers.

Proof. Suppose towards contradiction that the result is false. Then let n > 1 be the smallest integer that cannot be written as a product of primes. n is not prime, so n = pq for some integers p, q with 1 < p ≤ q < n. Since p and q are both smaller than n, it must be possible to factor them into primes; thus n can be written as a product of primes after all, a contradiction. □

The difference between this and the previous statement proven is that the assumption made (towards contradiction) directly contradicts itself: we assumed n cannot be written as a product of primes, and showed that this implies that it indeed can be. I tend to think that presenting it this way really strikes at the core of proving by contradictions.

For the first proof about even numbers, I think there's a better way to carry that out. It just seemed to work when worded as a "proof by contradiction", but it's actually a simpler proof in disguise.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
nerdology said:
Proof.Conversely, if n2 is even, suppose n is odd. Then n = 2k + 1 with k ∈ ℤ. Then n2 = (2k + 1)2 = 4k2 + 4k + 1 = 2(2k2 + 2k) + 1, so n2 is odd; a contradiction. Thus n must be even. □

I removed the first part of the proof. This is more of a contrapositive proof than contradiction:

n is odd => n2 is odd

is the same thing as

n is even <= n2 is even.

Amusingly, in the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_by_contrapositive" on the topic uses this example.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, oh wow yeah that is indeed amusing.

I guess the kinks I'm trying to work out are regarding the presentation of the proof. It seemed pretty ugly when shown as a "proof by contradiction". Stating it as showing the contrapositive works a lot nicer there, thanks.

1. What is a proof by contradiction?

A proof by contradiction is a method of proving a statement by assuming the opposite of what you want to prove is true, and then showing that this leads to a contradiction or absurdity.

2. Why use a proof by contradiction?

A proof by contradiction can be useful when a direct proof or a proof by contrapositive is difficult to construct. It can also be used to prove statements that are not easily proven using other methods.

3. How does a proof by contradiction work?

In a proof by contradiction, you assume the opposite of what you want to prove is true, and then use logical reasoning and previous knowledge to show that this leads to a contradiction. This contradiction then proves that the original statement must be true.

4. Can any statement be proven by contradiction?

No, not all statements can be proven by contradiction. Only statements that are logically contradictory, meaning they cannot both be true at the same time, can be proven using this method.

5. What are the limitations of a proof by contradiction?

A proof by contradiction can only prove the existence of something, it cannot provide an explicit example or construction. It also does not provide a constructive solution to a problem, but rather shows that a solution exists. Additionally, it may not be the most efficient or elegant method of proof for certain statements.