Is there a common measurement term for joules/volume/°C?

In summary, you need to find the maximum thermal energy that can be stored within an area, and to do this you need to convert the specific heat capacity to measure by volume.
some bloke
TL;DR Summary
I am looking to find the highest thermal energy density per volume, for a mass heater project.
I need to work out the maximum thermal energy which can be stored within an area, and to do this I need to convert the specific heat capacity (which measures by mass) to measure instead by volume. Is there a common measurement term I can search for (in the same way as I might search "specific heat capacity of _X_") that I can look for?

Currently I'm finding that hydrogen has the highest SHC, but I feel it might be difficult to make something out of it!

The goal is to be able to store as much energy as possible in a mass, and then for it to reduce as little as possible whilst it heats the water I run through it! I know that it will take longer to heat a mass with more SHC, but that's not an issue!

Also, Am I correct that I need the highest specific heat capacity to store the maximum energy for this project?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you use a phase change? There are eutectic salts that can be tuned to the transition temperature you want. They store a lot of energy.
Otherwise water has a very high heat capacity.

Likes sophiecentaur
What you are talking about is called a thermal store. Water is generally used because (i) it has a high specific heat capacity (ii) it is easy to get heat into the store (just pump in hot water) (iii) heat exchangers for getting heat out of the store work best with fluids (iii) it is cheap. Even if you find something that is better at a combination of (i), (ii) and (iii), water will almost always win hands down on (iii) (the exception being if you want a temperature out that is near boiling).

some bloke said:
Also, Am I correct that I need the highest specific heat capacity to store the maximum energy for this project?
No, you can store the maximum energy with the highest heat capacity (i.e. specific heat capacity x mass). However what you need is the maximum usable energy: if you want a mug of boiling water, 1MJ of heat energy at 50°C is not a lot of use to you.

So design parameters for a thermal store are more than just 'store as much thermal energy as possible'.

Last edited:
some bloke said:
Is there a common measurement term I can search for

Sounds like you are defining volumetric heat capacity.

onatirec said:
Sounds like you are defining volumetric heat capacity.
@onatirec beat me to it.

##density~ \frac {lbm} {ft^3} * sp~ heat~ \frac{Btu} {lbm~-~F} = \frac {Btu} {ft^3 ~-~F}##

Sorry for the units, a lifetime habit

1. What is the common measurement term for joules/volume/°C?

The common measurement term for joules/volume/°C is energy density.

2. How is energy density measured?

Energy density is measured by dividing the amount of energy (in joules) by the volume (in cubic meters) and temperature (in degrees Celsius).

3. Is there a specific unit for energy density?

Yes, the unit for energy density is joules per cubic meter per degree Celsius (J/m3/°C).

4. Why is energy density an important measurement in science?

Energy density is an important measurement in science because it allows us to compare the amount of energy stored in different materials or systems, regardless of their size or temperature.

5. Can energy density be converted to other units?

Yes, energy density can be converted to other units such as joules per liter per degree Celsius (J/L/°C) or kilojoules per cubic meter per kelvin (kJ/m3/K).