Is There a Formula for Unit Eigenvectors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for finding eigenvectors for a given matrix, with a specific focus on unit eigenvectors. The formula for a unit eigenvector is to take any eigenvector and divide it by its length. However, there is no specific formula that can be used to find eigenvectors for any given matrix, and it is considered one of the harder problems in Linear Algebra. Additionally, the conversation touches on the definition of eigenvectors and eigenvalues, with an emphasis on non-zero vectors. The idea of the zero vector as a "trivial eigenvector with an ill-defined eigenvalue" is mentioned, but ultimately dismissed as having no practical value.
Jhenrique
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
?? Take any eigenvector and divide by its length.

HallsofIvy said:
?? Take any eigenvector and divide by its length.

And which is the formula for the eigenvector?

^ What do you mean by that? A (right) eigenvector of A, x, is a (nonzero) solution to Ax=λx, and λ is the corresponding eigenvalue. Any vector fulfilling the condition can be divided by its length ||x||, so that the resulting vector is still an eigenvector, since the eigenvector is not the zero vector.

(EDIT: Ok, technically talking about ||x|| obviously means that we have to be able to define a norm, but I don't think that was the issue?)

Last edited:
Again: which is the formula for the eigenvectors?

What's wrong with Ax=λx? Given A and λ, it can be used to (numerically or analytically) solve x.

Your original question was about unit eigenvectors and that is what I responded to. There are a number of ways of finding eigenvectors but there is no "formula" you can just plug numbers into. Finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors is one of the harder problems in Linear Algebra.

HallsofIvy said:
Your original question was about unit eigenvectors and that is what I responded to. There are a number of ways of finding eigenvectors but there is no "formula" you can just plug numbers into. Finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors is one of the harder problems in Linear Algebra.

If I want to express an eigenvector like (cos(Θ), sin(Θ)), is this form good way of constraint the expression, so that Θ is function of eigenvalues?

By defition:

##A\vec{v} =\lambda \vec{v}##
##(A - \lambda I)\vec{v} = \vec{0}##

So any eigenvector ##\vec{v}## is:
##\vec{v} = (A - \lambda I)^{-1}\vec{0} = \vec{0}##
##\vec{v} = \vec{0}##

What is wrong?

A square matrix M has an inverse iff [itex]|M|\neq0[/itex]. To obtain the eigenvalues [itex]\lambda[/itex], you solve the equation [itex]|A-\lambda I|=0[/itex]. In your post, you use the expression [itex](A-\lambda I)^{-1}[/itex], which is meaningless, because the eigenvalues are exactly the values for which the inverse doesn't exist.

Also, although the math used was wrong, the 0 vector really is technically an eigenvector of all matrices...it's the trivial eigenvector, with an ill-defined eigenvalue. A*0=lambda*0 for all A and all lambda.

Matterwave said:
the 0 vector really is technically an eigenvector of all matrices...it's the trivial eigenvector, with an ill-defined eigenvalue. A*0=lambda*0 for all A and all lambda.

No, eigenvectors are defined to be non-zero vectors.

Definition: A scalar λ is called an eigenvalue of the n × n matrix A is there is a nontrivial solution x of Ax = λx. Such an x is called an eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue λ
http://www.math.harvard.edu/archive/20_spring_05/handouts/ch05_notes.pdf

Eigenvectors may not be equal to the zero vector.
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Eigenvector.html

An eigenvector of a square matrix A is a non-zero vector v that ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigenvalues_and_eigenvectors

The notion of the zero vector as a "trivial eigenvector with an ill-defined eigenvalue" doesn't have any practical (or even theoretical) value.

Alright. Well, if it's right there in the definition, then looks like I was wrong. :)

1. What is a unit eigenvector?

A unit eigenvector is a vector that has a magnitude of 1 and is associated with a specific eigenvalue of a matrix. It is often used in linear algebra to simplify calculations and represent the direction of the largest change in a system.

2. How do you find the formula for a unit eigenvector?

The formula for a unit eigenvector can be found by normalizing the eigenvector, which involves dividing each element of the vector by its magnitude. This ensures that the resulting vector has a magnitude of 1.

3. Why is the unit eigenvector important?

The unit eigenvector is important because it represents the direction of the largest change in a system and can simplify complex calculations involving eigenvectors and eigenvalues. It is also used in numerous applications, such as image and signal processing, physics, and engineering.

4. Can a matrix have multiple unit eigenvectors?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple unit eigenvectors. In fact, the number of unit eigenvectors is equal to the number of distinct eigenvalues of the matrix. This is because each eigenvalue is associated with a unique unit eigenvector.

5. How is a unit eigenvector used in diagonalization?

In diagonalization, a matrix is transformed into a diagonal matrix using its eigenvalues and corresponding unit eigenvectors. This makes it easier to perform calculations and solve systems of equations involving the matrix. The diagonal matrix also provides important information about the behavior of the system represented by the original matrix.