Analogy question for algebraists

In summary, the conversation discusses the analogy between polynomials with one variable and those with multiple variables, and how they relate to finite dimensional vector spaces over a field. The question asks what the equivalent of a linear transformation and eigenvalues/eigenvectors would be in the case of polynomials with multiple variables.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Polynomials with one variable and coefficients in the field K are to finite dimensional K vector spaces as polynomials in several variables over the field K are to ....?
An "analogy question":

Polynomials with one variable and coefficients in the field K are to finite dimensional K vector spaces as polynomials in several variables over the field K are to ....?

As a teenager, I recall taking tests that had "analogy questions" on them. The format was: Thing A is to thing B as Thing C is to ...what? They had objectively correct answers - at least in the mind of the people that posed them.

So I'm wondering if the above question has an answer that most algebraists would agree with. Thanks to Axler's book Linear Algebra Done Right, I can see that iterating a linear transformation ##T## applied to a particular vector ##v## leads to the existence of a (finite degree) polynomial in powers of ##Tv## that must equal to zero. That heads toward the topic of eigenvalues and eigenvectors. I don't know if there is some analogy to that situation that involves polynomials in several variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
... to the tensor product of as many vector spaces as there are variables.

1. What is an analogy question for algebraists?

An analogy question for algebraists is a type of problem that uses a comparison between two sets of elements to find a missing or unknown value in one of the sets. It requires the use of algebraic concepts and equations to solve.

2. How do I solve an analogy question for algebraists?

To solve an analogy question for algebraists, you first need to identify the relationship between the two sets of elements. Then, you can set up an equation using the known values and solve for the unknown value using algebraic principles such as the distributive property, combining like terms, and solving equations.

3. Can analogy questions for algebraists have more than one correct answer?

Yes, analogy questions for algebraists can have more than one correct answer. This is because there can be multiple relationships between the two sets of elements that can result in different equations and solutions.

4. What are some strategies for solving analogy questions for algebraists?

Some strategies for solving analogy questions for algebraists include identifying key words and phrases that indicate the relationship between the two sets of elements, setting up a table or diagram to organize the information, and using trial and error to test different equations until a solution is found.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving analogy questions for algebraists?

To improve your skills in solving analogy questions for algebraists, you can practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of analogy problems. You can also review algebraic concepts and equations to ensure a strong foundation in solving these types of problems.