Is there a formula to obtain the mass of a proton from c?

In summary, this person is talking about numerology and how it doesn't have any physical significance. They are also saying that there is a system that is spitting out formulas that equate to many constants/other known values.
TarbalTheLabRat
TL;DR Summary
Is there a formula to obtain the mass of a proton.
Just as E= hc/λ is anyone aware of a mathematical formula to obtain the mass of a proton from C ?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is not.

The mass of a proton is ##1.67262192369(51)\times 10^{−27}## kg, but that tells us more about how we've defined the kilogram than about protons. To get something physically significant we need a ratio that is independent of the units we're using: for example the universe would be very different if the mass of a proton were not greater than the mass of the electron by a factor of 1836 and change.

Last edited:
Proton Formula.JPG

What do you think of this? I know where and what this comes from. Been blistered a lot on forums up to now. So I'm hesitant to state anything else. But this seems to point to being the mass.

• Skeptical
  • Sad
Likes Vanadium 50, weirdoguy and PeroK
TarbalTheLabRat said:
What do you think of this?
Meaningless numerology because it depends on your choice of units. That’s ##1.670\times 10^{-27}## of what?

Likes Vanadium 50, vanhees71, PeroK and 2 others
It's actually Kg I believe. The same formula also appears to give the Mass of the neutron when 3 is replaced with pi.

Were these true before the kilogram was invented? Were they true before mankind evolved? Were they true before the Earth formed?

TarbalTheLabRat said:
It's actually Kg I believe.
And that is how we know that there is no physical significance to any of this. Suppose that human history on Earth had followed a very slightly different course, so that the French revolution fizzled, the metric system was never developed and the kilogram was never invented, far less used used to describe the mass of the proton... Then we wouldn't find anything interesting about the number ##1.670\times 10^{-27}##.

Likes nasu and Vanadium 50
TarbalTheLabRat said:
Been blistered a lot on forums up to now.

As you should.

`1. It's innumerate nonsense. The left-hand side has units of s/m and the right hand side has units of kilograms.
B. The proton mass doesn't work out. Sure you get four digits right, but m(p) is known to about 11.
III. The neutron mass doesn't work out either. It's about 100x worse than the proton.
d. You came in here claiming to have a question, but you really wanted to push this idea. Kind of disingenuous, don't you think?

Likes nasu, weirdoguy and phinds
I don't have a clue. I'm actually a programmer and started looking at physics programatically about a year ago. And just over the past couple of weeks a system has evolved that's just spitting out very simple and somewhat elegant formulas that equate to many constants/other known values and describe pretty much everything from gravity to time and mass to energy. I believe a lot of issues are a by-product of our units of measurement. It's probably nothing new, but it is still pretty cool to look at as I'm organizing it. Though I must say, it is very odd that all these numbers are coming out the way they are. I'm also thinking they are implying that the universe is pressurized (in a sense) with gravity and mass is like a pinhole. Just a hypothesis. But no, I do not have a clue if it was set up this way or not. It's most likely an artifact of how our units of measurements are aligned with one another.

• Skeptical
  • Sad
Likes weirdoguy, PeroK and Motore
Nugatory said:
Suppose that human history on Earth had followed a very slightly different course, so that the French revolution fizzled, the metric system was never developed and the kilogram was never invented

Ah, but this is telling us that in all universes the kilogram would eventually be invented. It's fate, I tells ya!

• Haha
Likes Nugatory
OK, enough. This thread is closed.

1. How is the mass of a proton related to the speed of light (c)?

The mass of a proton is not directly related to the speed of light (c). However, the speed of light is used in the formula for calculating the mass of a proton, which is based on the theory of relativity.

2. What is the formula for calculating the mass of a proton from c?

The formula for calculating the mass of a proton from c is E=mc^2, where E is the energy of the proton and m is its mass. This formula was derived by Albert Einstein in his theory of relativity.

3. Can the mass of a proton be accurately calculated using this formula?

Yes, the mass of a proton can be accurately calculated using this formula. However, it is important to note that this formula is based on theoretical concepts and there may be some margin of error in the calculation.

4. Are there any other factors that affect the accuracy of the mass of a proton calculation?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the accuracy of the mass of a proton calculation. These include experimental error, uncertainties in measuring the speed of light, and variations in the proton's energy levels.

5. Is the mass of a proton a constant value?

No, the mass of a proton is not a constant value. It can vary slightly depending on the energy level of the proton and other factors. However, the formula for calculating the mass of a proton from c is still considered to be a reliable and accurate method for determining its mass.