Is there a passive molecular flow 'diode'?

In summary, there is currently no known passive geometry for compressing gas in the molecular flow regime. While a trumpet cone may seem like a possible solution, simulations have shown that it actually works in the opposite direction due to the converging walls acting as a block to molecular flow. Additionally, the elasticity of molecule-wall collisions and the potential for extracting mechanical energy from thermal energy also raise questions about the effectiveness of such a pump.
cmb
During high vacuum pumping, one sucks viscous gas out of a chamber down to just above the molecular flow density where viscous flow becomes absent, and then may employ a different sort of pump to start pulling in the remaining molecules: Molecular flow.

I have been wondering for a while if there is some geometry of pipe, maybe of changing diameter or internal baffles, that would automatically and passively compress gas in the molecular flow regime. A bit like a Tesla valve is in the viscous regime.

I was thinking about this, this evening, and did a search for 'trumpet molecular flow diode'. What I was thinking was that if molecular flow bounces its way into a trumpet cone, surely it will end up tending in one direction. However I came across this; https://www.comsol.com/paper/download/182051/eisenschmid_abstract.pdf

which shows a straight cone has the theoretical capacity to do this, but it actually works the other way around, the converging walls of the cone representing a block to molecular flow like a prism to light, or like a charged particle in a magnetic cusp.

So, are there any 'passive molecular flow pump' geometries used, do they exist, do they work well?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are molecule-wall collisions elastic? I seem to recall they stick for some time and then break free flying off in some unrelated direction. This would make the transport calculation more involved.

Two additional thoughts,

<general simulation skepticism>
1) I suspect that the simulation shown doesn't represent a long term average.

<general thermodynamic skepticism>
2) A pressure differential developed between regions allow one to extract mechanical energy from the thermal energy in the gas. This would violate the usual thermodynamic arguments against a free lunch. An example is a semiconductor diode which has no net current flow from thermal charge carrier motion.

1. What is a passive molecular flow 'diode'?

A passive molecular flow 'diode' is a hypothetical device that would allow for the directional flow of molecules without the need for external energy input. It would function similarly to an electrical diode, which allows for the flow of current in only one direction.

2. How does a passive molecular flow 'diode' work?

The exact mechanism of how a passive molecular flow 'diode' would work is still unknown, as it is a theoretical concept. However, it is believed that it would utilize the principles of molecular diffusion and selective permeability to allow for the directional flow of molecules.

3. Is there any evidence of a passive molecular flow 'diode' existing in nature?

Currently, there is no evidence of a passive molecular flow 'diode' existing in nature. However, there are some natural systems, such as cell membranes, that exhibit similar properties of selective permeability, which could potentially be harnessed for the development of a passive molecular flow 'diode'.

4. What are the potential applications of a passive molecular flow 'diode'?

If a passive molecular flow 'diode' were to be successfully developed, it could have a wide range of applications in various fields such as nanotechnology, drug delivery, and filtration. It could also potentially improve the efficiency of chemical reactions and separation processes.

5. What are the challenges in creating a passive molecular flow 'diode'?

One of the main challenges in creating a passive molecular flow 'diode' is the design and fabrication of a material that can selectively allow for the flow of molecules in one direction. Additionally, the device would need to function at the molecular level, which presents technical difficulties in terms of measurement and control.