How to calculate rotor flux of the three phase squirrel cage induction motor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the nominal value of the rotor flux for a three-phase squirrel cage induction motor. The T equivalent circuit is used, and the nominal values of motor quantities such as stator voltage and current are used to calculate the phasors of stator and rotor current. The Scilab command linsolve is used to obtain the values, and the phasor of the rotor flux is calculated using a specific equation. There are doubts about the correctness of the procedure and a request for verification. The concept of rotor magnetic flux is also discussed, and the units and calculation of average and rms values for stator and rotor current are explained.
adamaero
Homework Statement
How to calculate rotor flux of the three phase squirrel cage induction motor?
Relevant Equations
Rotor flux and more
Three phase squirrel cage induction motor with given parameters (stator winding connected in delta)

• nominal power: Pn=22.4kW
  • nominal stator voltage: Vsn=230V
  • nominal stator current: Isn=39.5A
  • nominal stator frequency: fsn=60Hz
  • nominal speed: nn=1168min−1
  • number of pole pairs: 3
  • stator resistance per phase (T equivalent circuit): Rs=0.294Ω
  • stator leakage inductance per phase (T equivalent circuit): Lsl=0.00139H
  • rotor resistance per phase (T equivalent circuit): Rr=0.156Ω
  • rotor leakage inductance per phase (T equivalent circuit): Lrl=0.0007401H
  • magnetizing inductance per phase (T equivalent circuit): Lm=0.041H

I have been struggling with calculation of the nominal value of the rotor flux. My idea was that I will use the T equivalent circuit for that purpose
8tYEX.jpg

and I will use nominal values of the motor quantities i.e. I set the motor operating point into the nominal operation point (nominal slip, nominal stator voltage etc.). Then I calculate phasor of the stator current (Is) and phasor of the rotor current (Ir) according to the below given set of equations
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachments/1620849888346-png.238168/

For the motor parameters mentioned above the Scilab command linsolve gave mehttps://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachments/1620849901203-png.238169/
Based on the known phasors of the stator and rotor current I used the below given equation for calculation of the phasor of the rotor flux
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachments/1620849925020-png.238170/
which gives λr=0.5554856−0.0613638j i.e. |λr|=0.5588647V⋅s.

This value seems to me to be too low. So I have doubts regarding the way I have used for its calculation. Unfortunately I don't know any other way for its calculation which I can use for verification. Can anybody tell me whether the applied procedure is correct or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
@adamaero, please repost the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th images. Use the Attach files button to attach files. A link to an external site won't work.

adamaero said:
Homework Statement:: How to calculate rotor flux of the three phase squirrel cage induction motor?
Relevant Equations:: Rotor flux and more

Three phase squirrel cage induction motor with given parameters (stator winding connected in delta)

• nominal power: Pn=22.4kW
  • nominal stator voltage: Vsn=230V
  • nominal stator current: Isn=39.5A
  • nominal stator frequency: fsn=60Hz
  • nominal speed: nn=1168min−1
  • number of pole pairs: 3
  • stator resistance per phase (T equivalent circuit): Rs=0.294Ω
  • stator leakage inductance per phase (T equivalent circuit): Lsl=0.00139H
  • rotor resistance per phase (T equivalent circuit): Rr=0.156Ω
  • rotor leakage inductance per phase (T equivalent circuit): Lrl=0.0007401H
  • magnetizing inductance per phase (T equivalent circuit): Lm=0.041H

I have been struggling with calculation of the nominal value of the rotor flux. My idea was that I will use the T equivalent circuit for that purpose
View attachment 283353

and I will use nominal values of the motor quantities i.e. I set the motor operating point into the nominal operation point (nominal slip, nominal stator voltage etc.). Then I calculate phasor of the stator current (Is) and phasor of the rotor current (Ir) according to the below given set of equations
1.png
For the motor parameters mentioned above the Scilab command linsolve gave me
2.png

Based on the known phasors of the stator and rotor current I used the below given equation for calculation of the phasor of the rotor flux
3.png

which gives λr=0.5554856−0.0613638j i.e. |λr|=0.5588647V⋅s.

This value seems to me to be too low. So I have doubts regarding the way I have used for its calculation. Unfortunately I don't know any other way for its calculation which I can use for verification. Can anybody tell me whether the applied procedure is correct or not?

I am not sure what do you mean by "rotor magnetic flux”. I don't think the leakage rotor magnetic field it has to be included since the stator and rotor main magnetic field has to be the same.
However, you may calculate-using T equivalent diagram-the current Is . At first calculate the equivalent impedance of parallel Xm with Xlr and Rr/s and then divide Vsn by total impedance Rs+jXs+jXm||(Rr/s+jXlr).The result will be the same. Ir you may calculate by dividing the Is voltage drop on the equivalent impedance of jXm and Rr/s+jXlr by Zr=Rr/s+jXlr.
I think the flux units are average values but Is and Ir are rms.
i=Imax*sin(ωt) Iav=Imax/π Irms=Imax/√2 Iav=√2*Irms/π

I am sorry. Iav=1/ π ʃ Imax*sin(ωt)dt| ωt=0 up to ωt= π| then
Iav=2*Imax/π ; Irms=Imax/√2; Iav=2*√2*Irms/π
My mistake!

1. What is rotor flux in a three phase squirrel cage induction motor?

Rotor flux is the magnetic field that is generated by the rotor of a three phase squirrel cage induction motor. It is responsible for inducing currents in the rotor bars, which in turn creates torque and drives the motor.

2. Why is it important to calculate rotor flux?

Calculating rotor flux is important for understanding the performance and efficiency of a three phase squirrel cage induction motor. It can also help in determining the appropriate size and type of motor for a specific application.

3. How is rotor flux calculated in a three phase squirrel cage induction motor?

Rotor flux can be calculated by using the formula: Flux = (Stator Voltage / Stator Frequency) x (Rotor Resistance / Rotor Reactance). This formula takes into account the electrical parameters of the motor, such as stator voltage, stator frequency, rotor resistance, and rotor reactance.

4. What factors can affect the rotor flux in a three phase squirrel cage induction motor?

The rotor flux in a three phase squirrel cage induction motor can be affected by various factors such as the stator voltage, stator frequency, rotor resistance, rotor reactance, and the load on the motor. Any changes in these parameters can impact the rotor flux and, consequently, the performance of the motor.

5. Can rotor flux be controlled in a three phase squirrel cage induction motor?

Yes, rotor flux can be controlled in a three phase squirrel cage induction motor by adjusting the stator voltage and frequency. This can be done through various methods such as variable frequency drives or soft starters, which can help in optimizing the motor's performance and efficiency.