Is There a Scientific Basis for 'Hyperspace' Travel in My Fictional World?

• Thread starter darkranger85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation was about a science fiction writer seeking help in making the concept of "Hyperspace" in their book sound plausible. The writer's ships require a "weak spot" to enter subspace and there is a danger of colliding with objects in normal space while in hyperspace. Suggestions were given, including looking into Wheeler's notion of quantum "foam" and extra dimensions. The writer apologized for their use of "scientific gibberish" and thanked everyone for their input and resources.
darkranger85
Hello,

I should put this disclaimer on here first, I'm not really sure if this is the right place to ask these questions or not so please, if this isn't the place, feel free to point me in the right direction. :)

I am a Science Fiction writer. And I'm polishing up the base idea for my book and I was hoping to put some scientific basis into it or at the very least make it sound good.

What I want to do is this. My ships move via a form of 'Hyperspace' but the difference between mine and most others is I don't simply flip a switch and the ship disappears into subspace.

1. My ships require some sort of "weak spot" in order to punch through into subspace.

2. While in hyperspace there is a danger. In my world, objects in 'normal space' indent subspace. So basically if your ship in subspace intersects the space where an object would be in normal space it would collided with this "Subspace Indent". For simplicity I'm simply going to assume that the object has to be of fair size to be considered. (i.e. a planet, star, comet, etc etc)

Now, basically my question is, is there any kind of theory or whatever that makes my method sound plausible and perhaps some scientific gibberish that I can use? lol

Any thoughts are very much welcome.

Thank you ahead of time! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How would these ships travel? Assuming higher then light speed then more often then not there will be "a fair sized object" in its path.

I have a series of satellites and stations that constantly monitor dangers and transmit course corrections to ships in transit.

Look into Wheeler's notion of quantum "foam." These are spaces between the virtual particles that make up empty space (or something like that). Kip Thorne actually came up with a mathematical model that exploit the foam to create portals through space and time, but they require an absurd amount of energy density. "Negative energy" even, IIRC.

Prof. Lisa Randall "popularized" (comparatively speaking) the idea of extra dimensions in her book Warped Passages. I suggest you read the book, but here's my summary on the extra dimensions. These are thin, long, hollow folds of space (technically, spacetime) too "narrow" for any object or force except gravity to seep into. (In theory the extra dimensions absorb excess gravity, as it were, which explains why gravity is so weak compared to the other fundamental forces.) Suppose you find a weak spot that allows access into and through a fourth spatial dimension; and that enables you to travel at a faster-than-light speed as observed from within the ordinary 3D-space. But since gravity seeps into the extra dimension, your travel could be impeded by the presence of massive objects nearby.

Last edited:
EnumaElish said:
But since gravity seeps into the extra dimension, your travel could be impeded by the presence of massive objects nearby.
Very nice, EnumaElish! I like that.

Grep said:
Very nice, EnumaElish! I like that.
Thanks; frankly I hesitated before posting this because of OP's "scientific gibberish" remark; I think it's borderline offensive and self-defeating.

[URL]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/nfforums/NF%20smilies/15gch6u.png[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
EnumaElish said:
Thanks; frankly I hesitated before posting this because of OP's "scientific gibberish" remark; I think it's borderline offensive and self-defeating.

I apologize, I didn't mean for it to be offensive. I was thinking of Stargate SG1 where Sam Carter goes rambling on about stuff that the people around her don't understand.

I do appreciate your input though. :)

http://www.eurekalert.org/features/doe/2001-10/dbnl-gil053102.php

Thank you guys very much!

This information will be very useful!

1. What is the concept of hyperspace travel?

Hyperspace travel refers to the ability to travel faster than the speed of light by utilizing alternate dimensions or pathways. In science fiction, it is often portrayed as a way to travel vast distances in a short amount of time.

2. Is there any scientific evidence for the existence of hyperspace?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence for the existence of hyperspace. The concept is purely theoretical and has not been proven by any experiments or observations. However, some theories in physics, such as string theory, suggest the possibility of other dimensions that could potentially be used for hyperspace travel.

3. Can hyperspace travel be achieved in the real world?

At this time, there is no known way to achieve hyperspace travel in the real world. The laws of physics, as we understand them, do not allow for faster-than-light travel. However, scientific advancements and discoveries in the future could potentially make it possible.

4. How does hyperspace travel work in fictional worlds?

In fictional worlds, the concept of hyperspace travel is often portrayed differently depending on the story. Some may use advanced technology, like warp drives, to manipulate space-time and travel faster than light. Others may use magical or supernatural abilities to access alternate dimensions. Ultimately, it is up to the author's imagination and the rules they establish in their fictional world.

5. Are there any potential dangers or limitations to hyperspace travel?

In fictional worlds, authors may create their own limitations and dangers for hyperspace travel, but in reality, we can only speculate. Some theories suggest that traveling through alternate dimensions could have unforeseen consequences or bring about unknown dangers. Additionally, the immense amount of energy required for such travel could also be a limitation. Without fully understanding the concept and its potential effects, it is difficult to determine all the possible limitations and dangers of hyperspace travel.