Is There a Solution to the Challenge of Inequality?

In summary, given that $0<k,\,l,\,m,\,n<1$ and $klmn=(1-k)(1-l)(1-m)(1-n)$, we can show that $(k+l+m+n)-(k+m)(l+n)\ge1$ by using a valid proof that does not rely on the coupling of the four variables. This proof is different from the one that is found online and is considered to be valid and correct. So, there is no need to apologize, lfdahl, as your proof is perfect and valid. Great job!
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Given that $0<k,\,l,\,m,\,n<1$ and $klmn=(1-k)(1-l)(1-m)(1-n)$, show that $(k+l+m+n)-(k+m)(l+n)\ge1$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I´m so sorry for my mistake: A minus-sign was overlooked, and the coupling of the four variables k, l, m, n is not obvious. Sorry!

Given:
\[klmn = (1-k)(1-l)(1-m)(1-n),\: \: \: \: 0 < k,l,m,n < 1\]

This equality is only possible, if LHS and RHS have equal factors* (not necessarily in the same order).

\[klmn = (1-k)(1-l)(1-m)(1-n)\\\\ =1 - (k+l+m+n)+(k+m)(l+n)+mk+nl-(klm+kln+kmn+lmn)+klmn\\\\ \Rightarrow (k+l+m+n)-(k+m)(l+n)=1+mk(1-n-l)+nl(1-m-k)\]

Using (*): WLOG I can take $k = 1-l$, and $n = 1-m$. Thus, the variables are coupled pairwise. I could as well take $k = 1-n$ and $l = 1-m$. The outcome will be exactly the same. But taking $k = 1-m$ and $l = 1-n$ doesn´t work. I don´t know why ...
(- well, it works, because the $\ge$ is still valid).\[(k+l+m+n)-(k+m)(l+n)=1+mk((1-l)-n)+nl(1-m-k)\\\\ =1+mk(k-(1-m))+(1-m)(1-k)(1-m-k)\\\\ =1-mk(1-m-k)+(1-m)(1-k)(1-m-k)\\\\ =1+(1-m-k)(1-m-k+mk-mk)\\\\ =1+(1-m-k)^2 \geq 1\]

Last edited:
lfdahl said:
I´m so sorry for my mistake: A minus-sign was overlooked, and the coupling of the four variables k, l, m, n is not obvious. Sorry!

Hey lfdahl, seriously, there's no need to apologize!(Smile) And everything is fine and perfect with your valid proof!:cool:

lfdahl said:
Given:
\[klmn = (1-k)(1-l)(1-m)(1-n),\: \: \: \: 0 < k,l,m,n < 1\]

This equality is only possible, if LHS and RHS have equal factors* (not necessarily in the same order).

\[klmn = (1-k)(1-l)(1-m)(1-n)\\\\ =1 - (k+l+m+n)+(k+m)(l+n)+mk+nl-(klm+kln+kmn+lmn)+klmn\\\\ \Rightarrow (k+l+m+n)-(k+m)(l+n)=1+mk(1-n-l)+nl(1-m-k)\]

Using (*): WLOG I can take $k = 1-l$, and $n = 1-m$. Thus, the variables are coupled pairwise. I could as well take $k = 1-n$ and $l = 1-m$. The outcome will be exactly the same. But taking $k = 1-m$ and $l = 1-n$ doesn´t work. I don´t know why ...
(- well, it works, because the $\ge$ is still valid).\[(k+l+m+n)-(k+m)(l+n)=1+mk((1-l)-n)+nl(1-m-k)\\\\ =1+mk(k-(1-m))+(1-m)(1-k)(1-m-k)\\\\ =1-mk(1-m-k)+(1-m)(1-k)(1-m-k)\\\\ =1+(1-m-k)(1-m-k+mk-mk)\\\\ =1+(1-m-k)^2 \geq 1\]

Well done, lfdahl! Your proof is different from the one that I saw online somewhere, hence, I will post it here to share with the community:

We're given $klmn=(1-k)(1-l)(1-m)(1-n)$, we can rewrite it as $\dfrac{km}{(1-k)(1-m)}=\dfrac{(1-l)(1-n)}{ln}$ and this is also equivalent to $\dfrac{(k+m)-1}{(1-k)(1-m)}=\dfrac{1-(l+n)}{ln}$.

Recall that if we have $a=b$, then $ab= a^2=b^2\ge0$.

Hence, $\dfrac{(k+m)-1}{(1-k)(1-m)}\cdot\dfrac{1-(l+n)}{ln}\ge 0$.

Since $0<k,\,l,\,m,\,n<1$, we see that the product of the terms in the denominator greater than zero, this yields:

$((k+m)-1)(1-(l+n))\ge0$

$k+m-(k+m)(l+n)-1+l+n\ge0$

$k+m+l+n-(k+m)(l+n)\ge1$ (Q.E.D.)

Related to Is There a Solution to the Challenge of Inequality?

What is the challenge of inequality?

The challenge of inequality refers to the persistent disparities in wealth, opportunities, and power among individuals and groups in society. It is a multifaceted issue that encompasses economic, social, and political dimensions, and has significant impacts on the well-being and stability of communities and countries.

What are the main causes of inequality?

There are many factors that contribute to inequality, including historical and structural factors, such as colonization and systemic discrimination, as well as current policies and practices that favor certain groups over others. Economic factors, such as globalization and technological advancements, also play a role in widening the gap between the rich and the poor.

How does inequality affect society?

Inequality can have far-reaching consequences for society, including increased poverty and social unrest, decreased social mobility and economic growth, and unequal access to education and healthcare. It can also exacerbate existing social issues, such as discrimination and crime, and undermine trust and cohesion among individuals and communities.

What are some solutions to address inequality?

Addressing inequality requires a comprehensive approach that involves both short-term and long-term solutions. These may include implementing policies to reduce income and wealth disparities, promoting education and job training opportunities for marginalized groups, and addressing systemic discrimination. Other solutions may involve creating more inclusive and equitable social and economic systems, and promoting greater social and economic mobility.

How can individuals contribute to reducing inequality?

Individuals can contribute to reducing inequality by becoming informed and engaged citizens, supporting organizations and initiatives that promote equality and social justice, and advocating for policy changes that address systemic issues. They can also examine their own biases and privileges, and actively work towards creating more inclusive and equitable environments in their personal and professional lives.