Is there a Switch that can Withstand a Very High Current?

• Thread starter leVanw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Switch
leVanw
Is there any compact electronic component used to make a switch that can withstand large currents from a series of capacitors connected in parallel with a total voltage of over 600V?

Engineering news on Phys.org
leVanw said:
Is there any compact electronic component used to make a switch that can withstand large currents from a series of capacitors connected in parallel with a total voltage of over 600V?
How "compact" is compact? What kind of switch -- thrown mechanically or electrically?

Have you looked at contactors yet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactor

OK, yes. But, this may be the worst component specification ever. We don't know what you actually need.

But I'll guess: A high current 600VDC capacitor discharge is likely to be done with a big SCR. But there are many other choices.

Note: Real engineering design skill will be require here. You are perilously close to my standard "if you have to ask, you shouldn't do it" answer. But then, you haven't even really asked, more like you put us on notice that a switching application will be specified sometime.

Likes russ_watters, Rive, hutchphd and 1 other person
BTW, you get bonus points for showing us an equivalent circuit schematic. Nothing too fancy, just sketch it by hand and post a picture.

Likes russ_watters
leVanw said:
switch that can withstand large currents
You might also tell us how large is "large".

You want large current, but specified voltage. Like @DaveE and his rule of thumb, I have to wonder if maybe you shouldn't be doing whatever you are planning.

Likes russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
I have to wonder if maybe you shouldn't be doing whatever you are planning.
Oh lighten up you guys, geeze. We've all used large capacitor banks for laser fun at uni...

1705719448658.jpeg

https://www.tfiny.org/blog/detail/real_genius_our_favorite_science_films

Likes Delta Prime
leVanw said:
Yes there is.
There are many possible solutions.
What is the total capacitance ?

Why are you doing this?
What will the current flow through when the switch turns on?
For how much time will the current need to flow?
When will the switch be required to turn off.

I actually worked with a DPDT knife switch that carried about 6 kA. It lived in a big metal box, maybe 1 meter on a side. I asked if I could be there the next time they reversed it. The reply was "Can't. Fused."

Um...that does not mean they put a fuse on it.

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, phinds and DaveE
berkeman said:
Oh lighten up you guys, geeze. We've all used large capacitor banks for laser fun at uni...

View attachment 338870
Some of us got paid* to do it too! This one had a flashlamp pumped YAG with two PFNs at 1KVDC, 1KApk, 45J, 10Hz

SLCAIR84.jpg

*Disclaimer: It's not as fun as it looks in the movies, that's why they have to pay you. It also took a damned site longer than asking about how to do it on social media.

berkeman said:

View attachment 338870
OK, off topic, but I can't resist: Anytime you see a "laser beam" going through space like this picture, it's 100% fake, or perhaps you have a trash can fire or fog in your room (in which case you should turn it off and go home). That's not what lasers look like IRL.

Likes Guineafowl
DaveE said:
OK, off topic, but I can't resist: Anytime you see a "laser beam" going through space like this picture, it's 100% fake, or perhaps you have a trash can fire or fog in your room (in which case you should turn it off and go home). That's not what lasers look like IRL.
That‘s why, in films, they call it a:
1705757623296.jpeg

Likes russ_watters
DaveE said:
or perhaps you have a trash can fire or fog in your room
Well, back in the day, the smoke in the laser lab wasn't from a trash can fire... :wink:

• Haha
Likes DaveE and Delta Prime
And then there is this old joke:

Two engineers were in the development lab arguing over a complex optical setup. They couldn't agree where the beam waist was.

The technician that built the apparatus stood by and listened for some minutes.
Eventually he walked over, blew some cigarette smoke at the beam, and walked away.

Sheepskin ≠ Common Sense.

Likes DaveE and berkeman
Standard DTTAH warning.

• Wow
Likes Guineafowl and berkeman
This circuit breaker finder just popped up on reddit. Works every time. Amperage guaranteed high enough.

p57mzbgtdl261.jpg

• Wow
Likes nsaspook and Tom.G
nsaspook said:
Standard DTTAH warning.

That chap is, I believe, a high voltage safety consultant for govt and industry. And mad scientist.

Clever people doing silly things make the best videos.

1. What is considered a very high current for switches?

A very high current typically refers to currents that exceed the standard handling capacity of most electrical switches, often above 100 amps. These currents are common in industrial applications and power distribution systems where large amounts of power are transmitted or switched.

2. What types of switches can withstand very high currents?

Switches designed to handle very high currents include industrial-grade switches, contactors, and circuit breakers. These devices are built with robust materials and often have specialized contact designs and arc suppression features to manage and break high current flows safely.

3. How do switches handle very high currents without failing?

Switches that can handle very high currents are typically designed with heavy-duty contacts and robust construction. They may also employ arc suppression techniques such as arc chutes or use inert gases to quench the arc that forms when interrupting high currents. Additionally, cooling mechanisms might be used to dissipate the heat generated by the high current.

4. Are there specific materials used in switches that withstand very high currents?

Yes, materials used in high-current switches include copper, silver, or alloys that offer excellent conductivity and durability. Contacts are often plated with materials like silver to improve conductivity and resistance to welding and erosion under high current conditions.

5. What are the safety considerations when using switches with very high currents?

Safety is crucial when dealing with high-current switches. Proper installation, adequate insulation, and regular maintenance are essential to prevent electrical accidents. Additionally, protective gear and adherence to safety standards and regulations are necessary to ensure safe operation and handling of these switches.