Is there a vibration energy term associated with mesons?

In summary, there is currently no widely accepted model of hadrons that includes vibrational energy, but there have been some theoretical proposals and studies on the topic.
Pedro de la Torre
Hello, I am learning about solutions of the Schrodinger equation including the term of rotational energy (i.e. L^2 /2I, in its quantized form) and I was wondering if there should be another quantum term describing vibrational states of hadrons or any other composite subatomic particle, in analogy to what happens with molecules.
In my mind, thinking, for example, in a pion, I imagine a couple of quarks joint by a non-rigid string and both quarks rotating around its center. In addition to this rotation, they will have a vibration (like in a spring) whose frequency must matter in the total energy of the particle or its interaction with other particles.
Could anyone tell me if this is used or not and, if possible, some literature to read about?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I am aware, there is no accepted model of hadrons that includes vibrational energy. Hadrons are made up of quarks, which interact via the strong nuclear force, and so any vibration or rotational energy would be very hard to calculate. However, some theoretical models have been proposed which include vibrational energy. In particular, the string-flip model suggests that the quarks can flip their orientation while travelling along a string, resulting in a vibrational energy associated with the hadron. There have also been some studies of hadronic vibrations using lattice QCD simulations. If you are looking for more information on these topics, I suggest you start by doing a literature search for "hadronic vibrations" and "string-flip model".

1. What is a meson?

A meson is a subatomic particle composed of a quark and an antiquark. They are the intermediate mass particles between the lighter leptons and heavier baryons.

2. What is vibration energy?

Vibration energy refers to the energy associated with the oscillation or movement of a particle or system. In the context of mesons, it refers to the energy associated with the vibration of the quark and antiquark within the particle.

3. How is vibration energy related to mesons?

Mesons are composite particles, meaning they are made up of smaller particles. The vibration energy term associated with mesons refers to the energy needed to keep the quark and antiquark bound together in a meson. This energy is a result of the strong force that holds the particles together.

4. Is vibration energy the only energy associated with mesons?

No, mesons also have kinetic energy, which is the energy associated with their movement. Additionally, they may also have potential energy, which is the energy associated with the interaction between particles.

5. How is vibration energy measured in mesons?

Vibration energy in mesons is typically measured using particle colliders, which accelerate particles to high energies and then collide them together. By studying the particles produced in these collisions, scientists can infer the amount of vibration energy present in mesons.