Is there an answer to Zeno's paradox of Achilles and the tortoise ?

• Thread starter xod_s
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary, the paradox is that Achilles is always behind the tortoise, even though he is always catching up to it.
xod_s
Is there an answer to Zeno's paradox of "Achilles and the tortoise"?

I'm not sure if there is an answer or way to resolve this paradox nor do I know if it would go in the category of physics or math (even though I've heard that as a math problem it was solved a few centuries ago).It goes something like a tortoise runs ahead of Achilles but it is Achilles who is always behind it and ALWAYS only makes it as far as the last spot where the tortoise was no matter how infinitemestal..:uhh:..or something to that effect.I'm sorry to say that I can't really explain to well.There's a link below that'll explain it better

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achilles_and_the_Tortoise#Achilles_and_the_tortoise

My question is though has there been in a way to mathematically solve it and/or is there a way to solve it at all?.

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, using elementary calculus. The link you posted contains an explanation. The problem reduces to a convergent infinite series.

If you want an in-depth exlanation, "Everything and More: the compact history of infinity" explains what the exact problem is, and how it was finally solved. It's a book and requires about two semesters of calculus to grasp all of the concepts in the book, though you can get through it with less.

It does indeed simplify down to a convergent infinite sum, but in order to get there, there was a whole theory (and in George cantor's mind philosophy) of infinity needed in order to proof definitively, without a doubt, Achilles really can pass the hare, that arrows really do move, and one can indeed cross the street/touch their nose with their hand.

The book has lots of math in it, but is written extremely well and is entertaining.

The basic idea is this: suppose for the tortoise to reach the first point takes 1 second. Of course, during that time Achilles has gone even further. To get to that new point takes 1/2 seconds. The next stage takes 1/4 seconds. Etc. This goes on ad infinitum, so goes the paradox.

But how much time does it take the tortoise? Well [itex]1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{8} + \cdots[/itex] seconds. This sum is equal to 2 seconds. (*)

(*) to see why, note that if you divide every term by 2 and you add 1, you get the same sum, hence [itex]\frac{\textrm{sum}}{2} + 1 = \textrm{sum}[/itex]. Hence [itex]\textrm{sum} = 2[/itex].

Actually, the reasoning in my last post was a bit of cheating. At least the part where I said it was finite and equal to 2 was cheating. After all, the same reasoning would gives that [itex]1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + \cdots [/itex] is -1, since if you multiply the sum by 2 and add 1, you get the same sume. I.e. [itex]2 \textrm{sum} + 1 = \textrm{sum}[/itex] such that [itex]\textrm{sum} = -1[/itex].

A more rigorous way to prove that [itex] 1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} + \cdots = 2[/itex] goes as follows: if you take only a finite number of terms (say N+1), i.e. [itex]\textrm{sum} = 1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} + \cdots + \frac{1}{2^N}[/itex], then one can note that [itex]2\textrm{sum} - 2 + \frac{1}{2^N} = \textrm{sum}[/itex]. Solving this gives that [itex]\textrm{sum} = 2 - \frac{1}{2^N}[/itex]. If we let N get bigger and bigger (i.e. we take more and more terms into our sum), we see that the sum approaches 2 (since [itex]\frac{1}{2^N}[/itex] becomes smaller and smaller).

xod_s said:
.It goes something like a tortoise runs ahead of Achilles but it is Achilles who is always behind it and ALWAYS only makes it as far as the last spot where the tortoise was no matter how infinitemestal..:uhh:
Achilles is indeed always behind the tortoise during the time period where he's catching up to it. What's the problem with that?

Well thanks for the replies guys but an alternative for a laymen like myself..:uhh:.is there like a philosophical way to solve this paradox:confused:.

Last edited by a moderator:

xod_s said:
Well thanks for the replies guys but an alternative for a laymen like myself..:uhh:.is there like a philosophical way to solve this paradox:confused:.
What paradox?

Before one can 'solve' a paradox, one must first know what the paradox is. What contradiction do you think arises? Explain in precise detail.

One can 'philosophically' 'solve' a paradox by observing that the claimed paradox is lacking a valid argument.e.g.
Achilles who is always behind it
why would you think Achilles is always behind the tortoise, rather than only being behind the tortoise during the time period when he's catching up?

1. What is Zeno's paradox of Achilles and the tortoise?

Zeno's paradox of Achilles and the tortoise is a thought experiment that questions the concept of motion. It states that if Achilles, a swift runner, is in a race with a tortoise, who is much slower, and gives the tortoise a head start, he can never surpass the tortoise because he will always have to cover half the distance the tortoise has already covered.

2. Why is Zeno's paradox considered unsolvable?

Zeno's paradox of Achilles and the tortoise is considered unsolvable because it presents a logical contradiction that cannot be resolved. It challenges the idea of infinite divisibility, as it suggests that an infinite number of smaller distances must be covered in order to reach a destination, making it impossible to ever reach that destination.

3. How have scientists attempted to explain Zeno's paradox?

Scientists have attempted to explain Zeno's paradox through various theories, such as the theory of calculus, which suggests that infinite series can be summed up to reach a finite value. Other theories include the concept of limits and the idea of converging infinite sums.

4. Can Zeno's paradox be proven or disproven?

No, Zeno's paradox cannot be proven or disproven. It is a philosophical thought experiment that raises questions about the nature of motion and infinity. While scientists have proposed various theories to explain the paradox, it ultimately remains unsolvable and continues to spark debate and discussion.

5. How has Zeno's paradox influenced modern science?

Zeno's paradox has influenced modern science by challenging scientists to think critically about the concept of infinity and motion. It has also led to the development of calculus, which has been used to solve many other scientific problems. Additionally, it has sparked discussions about the nature of time and space in fields such as physics and philosophy.