Is there an easier way to do this question about series?

In summary, the question is asking for the value of a over the range of .5 to 3000. The answer is 1000 and 3000 respectively.
Banker
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
Hey guys, the question is 6.b. in the picture : http://imgur.com/FaKUMUZ
Here is what I did to solve it : http://imgur.com/YrIvbTO
I made these two simultaneous equations. 1875 comes from the fact that U1 + U2 = 1500 and U3 + U4 = 375. Then S4 must equal 1500+ 375(1875).
I then found a formula for 'a' and substituted it back into S2, which I further simplified into a polynomial of degree 3 and I got the solutions r = 1, .5 & -.5.
r can't be 1 as then the whole series would stay at whatever 'a' is, so then I concluded that it must be .5 and -.5.
I then substituted .5 and -.5 into one of the equations and solved for 'a' which is 1000 & 3000 respectively.
That is the actual answer, but it seemed a bit long-winded for 4 marks.
Is there an easier way to do it? Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Banker said:
Hey guys, the question is 6.b. in the picture : http://imgur.com/FaKUMUZ
Here is what I did to solve it : http://imgur.com/YrIvbTO
I made these two simultaneous equations. 1875 comes from the fact that U1 + U2 = 1500 and U3 + U4 = 375. Then S4 must equal 1500+ 375(1875).
I then found a formula for 'a' and substituted it back into S2, which I further simplified into a polynomial of degree 3 and I got the solutions r = 1, .5 & -.5.
r can't be 1 as then the whole series would stay at whatever 'a' is, so then I concluded that it must be .5 and -.5.
I then substituted .5 and -.5 into one of the equations and solved for 'a' which is 1000 & 3000 respectively.
That is the actual answer, but it seemed a bit long-winded for 4 marks.
Is there an easier way to do it? Any help would be appreciated.
Set ##a_n=ar^n##.
You know that ##a_0+a_1=1500##, ##a_2+a_3=375##.
Replace the ##a_i##'s by their values expressed in ##a,r## in these two equations.
They then easily let you find ##r##, and then ##a##.

Last edited:
Likes Banker
Samy_A said:
Set ##a_n=ar^n##.
You know that ##a_0+a_1=1500##, ##a_2+a_3=375##.
Replace the ##a_i##'s by their values expressed in ##a,r## in these two equations.
They then easily let you find ##r##, and then ##a##.
Yep, that worked and was much easier than my way, thanks!

1. Is there a specific formula for solving series questions?

Yes, there are several formulas for solving series questions, such as the arithmetic and geometric series formulas.

2. Do I have to memorize all the formulas for series questions?

No, it is not necessary to memorize all the formulas. It is more important to understand the concepts and principles behind them.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve series questions?

Yes, you can use a calculator for basic calculations, but it is important to also show your work and understand the steps involved.

4. Is it possible to solve series questions without using formulas?

Yes, it is possible to solve some series questions without using formulas by using patterns and common sense. However, formulas can make the process more efficient and accurate.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving series questions?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving series questions. Try solving different types of series questions and review your mistakes to understand where you went wrong. Also, seeking help from a tutor or studying with a group can also be beneficial.