Is there anyone who is good at computational physics?

If you replace the discrete acceleration in the latter to the one in the former, you havev_n+1 = v_n + a(x_n+1)*dtx_n+1 = x_n + v_n*dtwhich is the former method. So, v_n+1 is always evaluated at x_n+1, which is the reason why the energy is conserved.In summary, the two methods are almost the same, except for the interpretation of v_n.In summary, the two methods of solving a mechanical system of particles include using the Runge-Kutta 4th order method with a computer, and using the same method in both C and Mathematica. While Mathematica provides an exact result, the use of
geniejhang

Homework Statement

I tried to solve mechanical system of particles.
I first tried with two particles rotating with respect to each other.
Of course, i solved this using computer with Runge kutta 4th order method.
Here's the problem.
I used the same method in C and Mathematica.
In mathematica it gives me exact result what i expected.
but in C, the distance of two particles is getting larger and larger.
What is should I do?
What's the problem?

PS. If I post wrong place, please let me know. Thanks

Homework Equations

[tex]\mathbf{F}=-G\frac{Mm}{r^2}\hat{\mathbf{r}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's the source code.
Mathematica: http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...&attid=0.2&disp=attd&realattid=f_fvn6ox701&zw
C: http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...&attid=0.1&disp=attd&realattid=f_fvn6ordk0&zw

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't open the source code, but I had a similar dilemma when I have once tried to solve the same problem using the Euler's method(1st order).

I have used the following equations. (Discretized version of the eq. of motion)

x_n+1 = x_n + v_n*dt
v_n+1 = v_n + a(x_n+1)*dt

Here, x_n, v_n, a(x_n) and dt are position, the velocity, acceleration(at x_n), and the time interval.

You should note that in the second equation, I have evaluated the acceleration at x_n+1, but not x_n.

The reason is simple. The particle travels from x_n to x_n+1 with the velocity v_n, and then, it travels from x_n+1 to x_n+2 with the velocity v_n+1. The velocity changes at x_n+1.

I found out that the particle moves farther and farther away when I evaluate the acceleration at x_n.

I have never tried the higher order approximation(i.e. Runge-Kutta), but I think your problem is basically "the position at which you should evaluate the acceration".

Last edited:
weejee said:
x_n+1 = x_n + v_n*dt
That is not the quite the standard Euler method. Using your notation, the basic Euler method for updating the position and velocity is

x_n+1 = x_n + v_n*dt
v_n+1 = v_n + a(x_n)*dt

One way of looking at the basic Euler method is by looking at the position+velocity state as a 6-vector:

[tex]\mathbf u_n = \bmatrix
x_{n,1} \\ x_{n,2} \\ x_{n,3} \\
v_{n,1} \\ v_{n,2} \\ v_{n,3} \endbmatrix[/tex]

Euler's method for a scalar function u is simply [itex]u_{n+1} = u_n + f(u_n)\Delta t[/math] where \(\displaystyle f(u_n)\) is the derivative function: \(\displaystyle du/dt = f(u)[/itex].

Now extend this to multiple dimensions: [itex]\mathbf u_{n+1} = \mathbf u_n + \mathbf f(\mathbf u_n)\Delta t[/itex]. Finally, the derivative function in this case is

[tex] \mathbf f(\mathbf u_n) = \bmatrix
v_{n,1} \\ v_{n,2} \\ v_{n,3} \\
a_1(x_n) \\ a_2(x_n) \\ a_3(x_n) \endbmatrix[/tex]One problem with the basic Euler method is that it fails to conserve energy in a problem where energy should be conserved. There is a simple technique that does conserve energy. Once again using your notation,

v_n+1 = v_n + a(x_n)*dt
x_n+1 = x_n + v_n+1*dt

This is called the symplectic Euler technique (it has a lot of other names as well). Basic Euler updates position using the previous velocity and updates velocity using the acceleration based on the previous position. Symplectic Euler updates velocity using the acceleration based on the previous position and updates position using the updated velocity.

Your technique updated position using the previous velocity and updated velocity using the acceleration based on the updated position. Switching from basic Euler to symplectic Euler results in a drastic improvement. Switching from basic Euler to what you did makes the basic Euler technique look good. (Quite an accomplishment!)How about RK4? It, like the basic Euler technique, does not conserve energy in a conservative problem.\)

weejee said:
x_n+1 = x_n + v_n*dt

D H said:
v_n+1 = v_n + a(x_n)*dt
x_n+1 = x_n + v_n+1*dt

It seems to me that both methods are almost the same, except for the definition of 'v_n'.

In the former, v_n means 'the velocity between x_n and x_n+1', while in the latter it means 'the velocity between x_n-1 and x_n'.

In fact, these two methods should give slightly different results for the same initial condition (x_0,v_0) because v_0 is interpreted differently. In the former(latter), it is considered the velocity between x_0(x_-1) and x_1(x_0).

For the energy conservation problem, two methods are identical.

Related to Is there anyone who is good at computational physics?

1. What is computational physics?

Computational physics is a branch of physics that uses numerical methods and algorithms to solve complex physical problems that are difficult or impossible to solve analytically.

2. What skills are needed to be good at computational physics?

To be good at computational physics, one needs a strong background in physics and mathematics, as well as programming skills. Knowledge of computer science and numerical methods is also important.

3. Is it necessary to have a degree in physics to be good at computational physics?

While having a degree in physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a degree in physics to be good at computational physics. However, a strong understanding of physics concepts and mathematics is essential.

4. What types of problems can be solved using computational physics?

Computational physics can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including those in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, materials science, and fluid dynamics.

5. What tools and software are commonly used in computational physics?

Some commonly used tools and software in computational physics include programming languages such as Python, MATLAB, and C++, as well as numerical libraries like NumPy and SciPy. Simulation software, such as COMSOL and ANSYS, are also commonly used.