Is there anything wrong with using the same poster again?

• Other
  • Thread starter axmls
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poster
In summary, it is not frowned upon to present the same poster at two undergraduate research conferences.
axmls
My university system hosted an undergraduate research conference at which I presented a poster that I made. There is another undergraduate research conference that I plan on attending in addition to this. Is it frowned upon to present the same poster at both conferences? I know they're not "real" professional conferences, but I'd just like to make sure that I'm not doing anything that's looked down upon.

Physics news on Phys.org
axmls said:
My university system hosted an undergraduate research conference at which I presented a poster that I made. There is another undergraduate research conference that I plan on attending in addition to this. Is it frowned upon to present the same poster at both conferences? I know they're not "real" professional conferences, but I'd just like to make sure that I'm not doing anything that's looked down upon.

I certainly hope there's nothing wrong with that. I used the same poster at the same symposium three years in a row. I had to pay for my own posters and the poster was so general that it described at a third-grade level the research I did all four years. Plus, it was just to fulfill an honors requirement, I also gave an oral presentation at the same symposium that I obviously switched up each year.

Long story short, it's not really frowned upon, especially if it's at two different conferences. No sane person can be expected to produce new research between two conferences that are so close together. If you're concerned, ask your advisors and see what people usually do.

People do it all the time, especially at showcases such as an undergraduate research conference. If the poster is still relevant, it is ok to use it. It is *very* common for students to re-use conference posters they presented at peer-reviewed conferences at these undergraduate (or graduate) research events.

Technically you shouldn't.

Most conferences expect you to present an original piece of work, unless otherwise stated. Where this can come back to bite you is if you list these on your CV as separate conference abstract publications. It's like trying to claim twice the credit for work that was done only once. This is something that people on admissions committees or hiring committees know to look out for.

That said, it's fairly common for people to present posters at larger national or international conferences and then bring the posters back and present them at more local venues. I think it's fine to present the same poster at two conferences that are targeted at undergraduates. And then on your CV, you might list the citation once, but state that the poster was presented at two conferences.

To be fair, you probably won't have "presented paper at my University undergraduate research conference" on your CV for long, but you'll have a poster you presented at a national conference on forever.

I never put my "department research forum" posters on my CV since they were automatically accepted so they weren't really an accomplishment. For me they were a burden since I had to study for classes!

Choppy said:
That said, it's fairly common for people to present posters at larger national or international conferences and then bring the posters back and present them at more local venues. I think it's fine to present the same poster at two conferences that are targeted at undergraduates. And then on your CV, you might list the citation once, but state that the poster was presented at two conferences.

Right, that was my plan. Does presenting at undergraduate events like this help with graduate admissions in general? i.e. it's open to any undergraduate doing research, but at the same time, it's still experience doing a poster.

Check the conference guidelines, eg. https://www.sfn.org/annual-meeting/...or-abstracts/rules-for-scientific-submissions

"Work submitted for presentation should not have been reported previously in an archival scientific publication, either as an article or as an abstract, at the time of submission.
Furthermore, the abstract and poster presentation may not be presented at another meeting prior to the scheduled SfN presentation date unless it is at a published satellite event of Neuroscience 2016."

You can email the conference organizer to check if you are not sure.

Last edited:
atyy said:
"Work submitted for presentation should not have been reported previously in an archival scientific publication, either as an article or as an abstract, at the time of submission.
Furthermore, the abstract and poster presentation may not be presented at another meeting prior to the scheduled SfN presentation date unless it is at a published satellite event of Neuroscience 2016."

You can email the conference organizer to check if you are not sure.

This looks to be about a full, new-results, publication, professional conference, though. How does that compare to conferences held specifically for undergrads to show their research?
I will check out the website, though.

axmls said:
This looks to be about a full, new-results, publication, professional conference, though. How does that compare to conferences held specifically for undergrads to show their research?
I will check out the website, though.

I'm not sure, it probably varies, so check the specifics for the conferences you are interested in, and send them an email if their website doesn't seem to be very clear.

axmls said:
Does presenting at undergraduate events like this help with graduate admissions in general? i.e. it's open to any undergraduate doing research, but at the same time, it's still experience doing a poster.

It's largely the research project itself that's the big help with graduate school admissions. But generally speaking I think that presenting your work, even at an undergraduate conference or a local venue is seen positively. Presenting your work is part of being a successful researcher.

Likes Andy Resnick

1. Is it ethical to reuse the same poster multiple times?

It ultimately depends on the context and purpose of the poster. If it was used for a previous event or campaign and is still relevant, it may be considered acceptable. However, if the poster contains outdated information or is being used for a new event with a different message, it may be seen as unethical.

2. Can reusing a poster affect its impact or effectiveness?

Yes, reusing the same poster may diminish its impact and effectiveness. People may be less likely to pay attention to a poster they have already seen, and it may not stand out as much compared to new material. It is important to consider the target audience and the purpose of the poster when deciding whether to reuse it.

3. Are there any copyright concerns with reusing a poster?

If the poster was created by someone else, it is important to obtain their permission before reusing it. This ensures that you are not infringing on their intellectual property rights. If the poster was created by you, it is up to your discretion on whether or not to reuse it.

4. How can I make a reused poster more effective?

To make a reused poster more effective, consider making small changes to the design or content. This could include updating information, changing the layout, or adding new visuals. Additionally, targeting the poster towards a different audience or using it for a different purpose can also help make it more effective.

5. Are there any alternatives to reusing a poster?

Yes, there are alternatives to reusing a poster. You can create a new poster with a similar design or theme, or you can repurpose the existing poster for a different format, such as a digital ad or social media post. Another option is to create a series of posters with a cohesive design to maintain consistency while still providing new and fresh content.