Is there enough torque in the motor for the system?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a rotary to linear pressure cycling system. The size of the air cylinder has been decided and the person is trying to design around it. They are considering using the Ampflow A28-400 motor and have provided details such as torque and gear ratios. They have also attempted calculations to see if the motor can handle a pressure of 250 psi, but are unsure if their calculations are correct. The expert suggests making a proper kinematic and dynamic analysis and creating a P-V diagram to properly evaluate the suitability of the motor.
Epiphany Man
Good morning,

I have little problem here and I've come here with hopes of a solution!
I'm currently messing with a rotary to linear pressure cycling system. The size of the air cylinder has already been decided and I'm simply trying to design around it.

Here are the specifics! I've added a picture of the rough model.

http://imgur.com/1co9b7u
http://imgur.com/1co9b7u

Starting from left to right...

The motor I'm thinking of is the...

Ampflow A28-400

Torque @ 1100 RPM = 177.01 in*lb.

1st Spur Gear (Pinion)

Radius : .3 in
17 teeth

2nd Spur

Radius: 3.5 in
120 teeth

Rectangle bar attached to the spur gear and rod clevis(w/ pin)

Length : 5 in

Air cylinder

Produces a force of 459 lbs @ 100 psi
Stroke 6"
Diameter 2.5"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attempted
Calculations

Torque from Air Cylinder ONLY.

I want to see if the torque supplied by the current motor is enough if I wanted to cycle 250 psi.

Force(Air cylinder @ 250 psi)

[F = P*pi*(d^2/4)]

F = (250 lb/in^2)(3.14)(2.5^2/4) = 1227 lbs (Needed to move)

Torque needed @ 250 psi (w/ rectangle bar)

[T = F * d]

T = (1227 lb)(5 in) = 6135 lbs ( This is where I believe I'm totally off.)-----------------------------------------

Torque from MOTOR w/ GEARs

Find the force from motor to spur 1

[F1 = T1/r1]

F = 177.01 in*lb/.3 in = 590.03 lbs

Find torque in spur 2

[T2 = F1 * r2]

T2 = (590.03 lbs)(3.5 in) = 2065.00 lbs
From my calculations, there is no way this motor can do its job but the numbers seem crazy high to me. Am I performing these calculations correctly? If so, would there be anything you guys can suggest?Thank you for your future assistance!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your equation T = F*d is wrong. Torque is force times radius, but that is only the beginning of your difficulties.

You need to make a proper kinematic and dynamic analysis of this device, remembering that the cylinder pressure is not 250 psi all the time at all. You need to put together a P-V diagram for your cycle, all for energy storage in the moving parts, and write the complete system equation of motion. Only then will you be anywhere close to evaluating the suitability of the motor.

1. What is torque and why is it important in a motor?

Torque is a measure of a force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In a motor, torque is important because it is what allows the motor to produce rotational motion and do work.

2. How is torque calculated in a motor?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the motor by the distance from the axis of rotation. This can be represented by the formula: Torque = Force x Distance.

3. How do you determine if there is enough torque in a motor for a specific system?

To determine if there is enough torque in a motor for a specific system, you must first know the required torque for the system. This can be calculated by considering the load being moved and the distance it needs to be moved. Then, you can compare this required torque to the torque output of the motor to see if it is sufficient.

4. What factors can affect the amount of torque in a motor?

The amount of torque in a motor can be affected by several factors, including the size and strength of the motor, the type and placement of the motor's magnets, the amount of current flowing through the motor, and the efficiency of the motor's mechanical components.

5. What happens if there is not enough torque in a motor for a system?

If there is not enough torque in a motor for a system, the motor will not be able to produce enough rotational force to move the load or do the required work. This can result in the system not functioning properly or even causing damage to the motor or other components.