Is there no translational energy?

In summary, the equation for I starts with stating that the moment of inertia about the rotation axis is 1/2.
TheCanadian

Homework Statement

A uniform rod of length b and mass m stands vertically upright on a floor and then tips over.
a) Assuming that the floor is rough (i.e., the end of the rod that is initially touching the floor cannot slip), what is the rod’s angular velocity when it hits the floor?

2. Homework Equations

$$ T = \frac{1}{2} mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2 $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the solution, but only by setting $$ U_i = T_f $$ (initial potential energy = final kinetic energy). But what I found odd is that I set $$ T_f = \frac{1}{2}I\omega_f^2 $$ and stated the translational energy term goes to 0. I got the right answer by doing this, but it doesn't seem right. I understand that the CoM of the rod remains at the same length radially, but since there is an x- and y-component to its velocity, shouldn't it have a non-zero final translational velocity? Although this is reminiscent almost of a ball kept stationary but rotated, which has only rotational energy, and zero net translational energy (at its CoM)...but are these two cases really analogous? In one case it seems very clear that the CoM is moving, while in the other, the CoM is stationary from a fixed axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheCanadian said:

Homework Equations

$$ T = \frac{1}{2} mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2 $$

To help answer your question, think about the meaning of the above equation. In particular, the speed ##v## in the equation refers to the speed of what point? The symbol ##I## refers to the moment of inertia about what axis?

TSny said:
To help answer your question, think about the meaning of the above equation. In particular, the speed ##v## in the equation refers to the speed of what point? The symbol ##I## refers to the moment of inertia about what axis?

## v ## would refer to the CoM, or ## \frac {b}{2}sin\theta## if ##\theta## is the angle the rod makes with the horizontal, right? And ## I ## represent the inertia about the rotation axis (i.e. parallel to the rod itself), point in the radial direction. Is it wrong to think of this as non-uniform circular motion, so that there's only a tangential velocity equivalent ##b\omega##? Is it because there is only a tangential velocity that we consider the velocity of the CoM to be 0?

Yes, ##v## is the speed of the center of mass when using the equation ## T = \frac{1}{2} mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2 ##. However, ##I## in this equation is the moment of inertia about an axis through the center of mass, not the moment of inertia about the end of the rod. So, it might be clearer to write the equation as $$ T = \frac{1}{2} mv_c^2 + \frac{1}{2}I_c\omega^2 $$

If you are familiar with the parallel axis theorem, you can relate ##I_{end}## about one end of the rod to ##I_c## about the center of mass. Then you can show that $$ T = \frac{1}{2} mv_c^2 + \frac{1}{2}I_c\omega^2 = \frac{1}{2}I_{end}\omega^2$$

TSny said:
Yes, ##v## is the speed of the center of mass when using the equation ## T = \frac{1}{2} mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2 ##. However, ##I## in this equation is the moment of inertia about an axis through the center of mass, not the moment of inertia about the end of the rod. So, it might be clearer to write the equation as $$ T = \frac{1}{2} mv_c^2 + \frac{1}{2}I_c\omega^2 $$

If you are familiar with the parallel axis theorem, you can relate ##I_{end}## about one end of the rod to ##I_c## about the center of mass. Then you can show that $$ T = \frac{1}{2} mv_c^2 + \frac{1}{2}I_c\omega^2 = \frac{1}{2}I_{end}\omega^2$$

Wow, I was looking at it very wrong. Thank you!

TSny said:

I also just had a small related question. I was just wondering why in this image, the derivation for I begins with stating ## dI = \frac{1}{2} y^2dm ##. Where exactly does this 1/2 coefficient come from? Shouldn't it just be ## dI = y^2dm ##?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 11.14.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 11.14.52 PM.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 402
TheCanadian said:
I also just had a small related question. I was just wondering why in this image, the derivation for I begins with stating ## dI = \frac{1}{2} y^2dm ##. Where exactly does this 1/2 coefficient come from? Shouldn't it just be ## dI = y^2dm ##?
Here, ## dI = \frac{1}{2} y^2dm ## is the rotational inertia of a thin disk of radius ##y## and mass ##dm##, as shown in the figure. So, the 1/2 factor is correct here. If ##dm## were the mass of a particle (rather than a disk), then ## dI ## would equal ##r^2dm ##, where ##r## is the distance from the point mass to the axis of rotation.

What is translational energy?

Translational energy is the kinetic energy associated with the movement of an object from one point to another. It is a type of mechanical energy that is observed in the form of motion.

Why is translational energy important?

Translational energy plays a crucial role in various physical processes and phenomena, such as the movement of particles in a gas, the motion of planets in space, and the behavior of objects in collisions. It is also a fundamental concept in physics and is used to calculate the velocity and momentum of an object.

Can translational energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, translational energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or thermal energy. For example, when a ball is thrown into the air, its translational energy is converted into potential energy as it gains height. Similarly, when an object slides across a surface, its translational energy is converted into thermal energy due to friction.

Is there a limit to translational energy?

According to the laws of physics, there is no limit to the amount of translational energy an object can possess. However, as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its kinetic energy becomes increasingly large and can result in relativistic effects.

How is translational energy related to temperature?

The average translational energy of particles in a substance is directly related to its temperature. As the temperature increases, the particles gain more kinetic energy, resulting in increased translational energy and faster movement. This is why substances at higher temperatures are typically more energetic and have a higher tendency to expand or change states.