Is There Ongoing Research on Isolating the Cause of Wave Function Collapse?

• Thread starter manases
  • Start date
In summary, researchers continue to explore the root cause of wave function collapse, a phenomenon observed in quantum mechanics where a quantum system transitions from a state of superposition to a definite state. Ongoing studies suggest that the collapse may be due to interactions with the environment or the limitations of our current understanding of quantum mechanics. Some theories propose the existence of hidden variables or alternate interpretations of quantum mechanics that could explain the cause of wave function collapse. However, the exact cause remains elusive and further research is needed to fully understand this fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.
manases
Hi there,
I have always had a huge interest in some questions like what are the forces?
More recently I am reading about quantum mechanics and it is just fascinating.
I can't believe things can be so interesting in science - it is more dramatic than sci-fi movies!

I am a web programmer.
Some time ago I wondered... maybe... is it possible that we create a system (application) where we input all the known effects of the forces and use AI to work out a solution that can satisfy all the effects?
But then I read about quantum mechanics and ...
The part where if we see a wave happening, it stops happening... it is hard but fascinating.

My biggest question I have currently is if there were any studies to look at the double split experiment with the purpose to solve the "Consciousness causes collapse".

If we add multiple switches, I think we can isolate the event that causes the wave function to collapse.
I mean - is not the whole process of investigating - it must be something in the process.
So we split the process into as many sections as possible and add switches.

We add a switch to the part where we register the result.
If the "Consciousness causes collapse" is the cause, then making the investigation but not recording it, could not collapse the wave function.
The same way we can split the process of investigating in multiple sections...

This must have been done, isn't it? It is too intuitive not to.
So can you please give me something to read in this direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

This thead should be for introductions only. Any questions on QM should be posted in the QM forum.

I can say, however, that "consciousness causes collapse" is an idea that was briefly considered in the 1930's, but is not subsequently part of mainstream QM. It has lived on, however, in popular science culture, where a number of long-outdated ideas are often given prominence of place.

Likes manases
Thanks PeroK I will ask there then.

Likes berkeman
I don't think my question was approved so I guess this is where I will be waiting for resources on work to isolate the cause of the wave collapse :(

Welcome to the PF. :smile:
manases said:
I don't think my question was approved so I guess this is where I will be waiting for resources on work to isolate the cause of the wave collapse :(
It was approved 10 minutes ago. There was an issue with the thread prefix level (you set it to "A" = Advanced/Graduate School Level), so once we adjusted it to "I" = Intermediate/Undergrad Level, you were good to go.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/investigations-to-find-the-cause-of-wave-collapse.991585/

Likes manases