Is There Scientific Proof that Particles are 'Aware' of Their Surroundings?

• Thread starter Andew
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of a teenager studying physics who dislikes pseudoscience and new age beliefs. They are currently arguing with someone who claims that physics proves the idea of particles being 'aware' of things. The conversation also explores the issue of trying to change someone's beliefs and the potential waste of time in arguing with individuals who are already convinced they are correct.
Andew
Hello dear physicists
Me, as a teenager, I love studying some concepts of physics and I intend to become a respectable physicist in the future, and PhD, I really love physics.
but the problem is that I hate pseudoscience, and new age woo woo..
I'm arguing with a moron now that insists to say that David Bohr, John Wheeler, Routledge "proved" that particles are 'aware' of stuff, and he insists that this is not a 'new age BS', but he has no background in physics and his page is full of new age bollocks.
Can you guys help me? I know you guys can answer this better to me. Just take out this doubt for me.
THanks, It will be helpful for my future!

Physics news on Phys.org
Learn not to let it bother one and stay away from nonsense.

Some folks are beyond assistance.

Likes DennisN, billy_joule and Andew
People believe what they want to believe. Let them. It's a free world. Argument has no effect.

As far as I can tell, your acquaintance is referring to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

As it explains, this isn't physics, per se, but a "philosophical consideration." That might be worth debating if you could exclude all parties who can't resist the temptation to push it over into mysticism. Unfortunately, quantum physics is flypaper for mystics, so you can't. There's a long history of this going back to Arthur Eddington who wrote a book full of essays about QM exploring its philosophical implications, as he saw them, and created an atmosphere about it ripe for infestation by mystical animacules.

Anyway, I suspect the anthropic principle's tautological underpinning:

"The anthropic principle is often criticized for lackingfalsifiability and therefore critics of the anthropic principle may point out that the anthropic principle is a non-scientific concept, even though the weak anthropic principle, "conditions that are observed in the universe must allow the observer to exist",[7] is "easy" to support in mathematics and philosophy, i.e. it is a tautologyor truism. "

is being mistaken by some as a "proof" of something, being blown up into much more than it actually is.

Hornbein said:
People believe what they want to believe. Let them. It's a free world. Argument has no effect.

No, It is not that simple. Arguments do have some effect, can lead people to the wrong side of the whole thing, with the misuse of physics being used by non-physicists and their new age bs. We physicists are here for what? To be new agers food and direct the public in a wrong way? Or are we here to show the truth? It is obviously nonsense that there is any 'awareness' in a particle, I know this is a big lie, so I won't let a moron argue for it as If it was a real truth and that physics support it. NO, this is a lie and must be debunked as a lie. I go for the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the person you are arguing with is receptive to having their opinion changed, then arguing can certainly be productive. Unfortunately, it's far more often that the person is already convinced that they are correct and your argument will actually polarize them even more, pushing their view even further away from mainstream science.

Likes WWGD and Sophia
Drakkith said:
If the person you are arguing with is receptive to having their opinion changed, then arguing can certainly be productive. Unfortunately, it's far more often that the person is already convinced that they are correct and your argument will actually polarize them even more, pushing their view even further away from mainstream science.

That's not the problem, the problem is with this quote from Hornbein "People believe what they want to believe. Let them."
This way of thinking is wrong, as they are using PHYSICS to prove their point.
If they simply say "I believe there is awareness in a particle, because that's what I believe" whatever, you believe whatever you want to believe, while you don't use the physics to prove something, it's all ok
but no, instead, they are like "There is awareness in a particle, and physics prove it, you are wrong, because I read somewhere else , and must be a fact "

this is totally a affront for all physics lovers that one day want to become a great physicist studying hard, with a lot of dedication reading by a new ager hippy who never even read the first page of a basic quantum physics book

Andew said:
That's not the problem, the problem is with this quote from Hornbein "People believe what they want to believe. Let them."
Let's see how wrong you think it is in 5 years time. After you've wasted countless hours banging your head against a wall trying to convince crackpots the error of their ways.

If you are interested in improving science skills and awareness in the general public then there are legitimate ways of doing so but arguing with crackpots will only waste your time.

Andew said:
If they simply say "I believe there is awareness in a particle, because that's what I believe" whatever, you believe whatever you want to believe, while you don't use the physics to prove something, it's all ok
but no, instead, they are like "There is awareness in a particle, and physics prove it, you are wrong, because I read somewhere else , and must be a fact "

this is totally a affront for all physics lovers that one day want to become a great physicist studying hard, with a lot of dedication reading by a new ager hippy who never even read the first page of a basic quantum physics book

You are preaching to the choir, Andrew. The problem is that the other person doesn't see it this way and you are unlikely to convince them that they are wrong. That's just how people work.

Likes billy_joule
Andew said:

Ask for a link to a paper (that is published in a serious peer-reviewed journal) that demonstrates this as an empirical fact. And/or ask where the Nobel Prize for this discovery is. :smile:

Andew said:
Hello dear physicists
Me, as a teenager, I love studying some concepts of physics and I intend to become a respectable physicist in the future, and PhD, I really love physics.
but the problem is that I hate pseudoscience, and new age woo woo..
I'm arguing with a moron now that insists to say that David Bohr, John Wheeler, Routledge "proved" that particles are 'aware' of stuff, and he insists that this is not a 'new age BS', but he has no background in physics and his page is full of new age bollocks.
Can you guys help me? I know you guys can answer this better to me. Just take out this doubt for me.
THanks, It will be helpful for my future!
I would want to advise you to not argue with them too much about scientific truths because they are true to you and many more but probably not the rest of others. For this specific case, I and they would have enlisted a series of criteria to define what were called "awareness" then asked them to answer all based on their current assumptions and knowledge about particles, if I were you.
Fallacies are always hard to detect. The older people get the more fallacies they can create.
Nuances too are embarrassing people as insiders and sometimes can even make them lose their control. But how serious we should consider stuff to shoot the right one at the right time to complete each other seems more essential in life than to earn stupid nonsensical pride like what a kid always likes to do. :smile:

Andew said:
This way of thinking is wrong

See what I mean?

Pepper Mint said:
The older people get the more fallacies they can create.

I've got something to look forward to.

Likes Drakkith
Andew said:

I'm sorry Andrew, but this person still has all the right to say and believe what he wants to. The fact that he's provably wrong doesn't mean he can't say these things;
What do you propose? Censoring him? Punishing him? I would be totally against any of this.
Maybe trying to set him straight? Argue with him? Let him see the error of his ways? Good luck with that. It's impossible to do that. If you don't realize that now, then you'll realize this very soon. Arguing with these kind of people is very fun, but don't do it from some kind of higher moral purpose such as defending the truth. You'll end up frustrated and disillusioned.

It's better to put your time into teaching people who are interested to listen and who will listen. This is what we do on PF.

The guy believes what he believes. Let him be. He's probably happy this way.

Likes billy_joule
Andew said:
...they are using PHYSICS to prove their point...

No, they aren't. And that's why physicists just ignore them.

Likes Drakkith
Arguing with people that understand science, especially if they believe misinformation, aren't worth your time. And this thread won't change anything, so it is closed.

1. What does it mean for particles to be ‘aware’ of their surroundings?

Particles being aware of their surroundings means that they are able to sense and respond to their environment in some way. This goes beyond just physical interactions with other particles, but also includes the ability to make decisions or adapt based on the information they receive.

2. Is there any evidence to support the idea that particles are aware?

While there is no definitive proof yet, there have been several experiments and observations that suggest particles may have some level of awareness. For example, the double-slit experiment has shown that particles can behave differently depending on whether they are being observed or not, which implies some level of consciousness.

3. How can particles be aware if they are so small and simple?

While particles are indeed very small and simple, they still possess certain properties that allow them to interact with their surroundings. For example, particles have charge and mass, which allows them to be affected by electromagnetic and gravitational forces. These interactions could potentially be a basis for their awareness.

4. Can the concept of particles being aware be applied to all particles, or just a select few?

This is still a topic of debate and research in the scientific community. Some theories suggest that all particles have some level of awareness, while others propose that only certain types of particles, such as those with consciousness-like properties, possess this trait. Further studies are needed to fully understand this concept.

5. What implications does the idea of particles being aware have on our understanding of the universe?

If particles are indeed aware of their surroundings, it could have significant implications on our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could potentially change the way we think about the origins of consciousness and the nature of reality. However, more research is needed before any definitive conclusions can be made.