Is this a petrified fruit or a concretion?

• Thread starter Jimm2
  • Start date
In summary, a person found a 2 inch diameter round rock in Oregon that split in half when hit with a hammer. Inside, there was a "seed" that resembled an apple seed in shape, color, and size, but the inside pattern was different from any known concretion. The person sanded one half and tried various tests to identify the rock, ruling out gypsum. Some suggested it could be a petrified osage orange fruit or a burl. However, its formation and mineral composition remain a mystery. The person is advised to consult a paleobotanist for identification before altering the rock further.
Jimm2
I found a 2 inch diameter round rock in Oregon. When I hit it with a hammer it split it in half and there was a "seed" in the middle that had the appearance of an apple seed in shape, color, and size. I know that concretions start with a seed, but the inside pattern is not like any concretion I have seen. I goes out in "rays" from the center like a citrus fruit. What do you think it is? I sanded one of the halves.
petrified citrus fruit (3)_edited.jpg
petrified citrus fruit (2)_edited.jpg
petrified citrus fruit (1)_edited.jpg

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Physics news on Phys.org
Gypsum.

No. I have seen "desert roses" (gypsum). None ever formed like this. But if you do find a photo of one that has rays perfectly formed around a center point, I would like to see it (contained within a sphere).

IMGP0434.JPG

Interesting... almost looks like an avocado pit.

Okay - instead of bumbling about let's try Science:
1. do you know how to test approximate Moh's hardness? Give us a number.

2. Does the rock fizz or bubble or become shiny clean under the drop when you put a tiny drop of acid on it? Lemon juice will work.

Since you cut it, therefore it must be fairly soft - which is why I asked #2.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
I tried two different acids and it did not fizz. Neither a fingernail nor a penny scratched it. So I guess that rules out gypsum.

I did not cut the rock. I hit it with a hammer until it split in two. I did not sand the outside. It is a hard rock.

How about the other two tests?

It seems to leave a shiny trail of metal when I try to scratch it with a paper clip. With my bifocals I just couldn't focus that well even with magnifying glass to see if it left a permanent scratch. If it did it wasn't a deep scratch. It does not scratch glass.

Andy Resnick said:
Interesting... almost looks like an avocado pit.
I've never cut open an avocado pit, so I wouldn't know.
It looks like a petrified Osage Orange fruit to me.
openosageorange.jpg

Maybe polished in a river bed.

Could also be one of those round tree thingys. (google google google).. Burl!
Though I'm not a wood burl expert.

Where's @phinds when you need him.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Pepper Mint
Burls generally are the result of a virus infection in trees - like Witches broom for example. They do not look like that in general. Basically the plant tissues are all 'screwed around'. Burls are probably best thought of as growing a tumor on a tree. Some are bacterially induced.

Structurally it does resemble osage orange (Maclura pomifera) fruits, yup. And a distribution map shows that it is native to Oregon
http://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=MAPO

So, if the concretion is more than about 2-3 inches in diameter Osage orange looks like a very possible source. The fact that it split so conveniently with a hammer also indicates the fruit structure (locules) that M. pomifera has. As a comment, whacking things like that with a hammer is a great way to create a pile of dust and pebbles, most times. You lucked out as they say.

The only issue is formation. It's Moh's hardness is high-ish, and it clearly is not a carbonate. So, I'm not sure what mineral it is.

However that is a nice specimen. If you know a rockhound or there is a local rock shop, consider finding out about getting the two inside surfaces of the ball polished. You know, all shiny. Something like that may have some real collector value.

Last edited:
jim mcnamara said:
However that is a nice specimen. If you know a rockhound or there is a local rock shop, consider finding out about getting the two inside surfaces of the ball polished. You know, all shiny. Something like that may have some real collector value.
I wouldn't do anything to it until it's positively identified one way or the other. The still rough side shows the direction of the "flakes" or whatever they are much better than the sanded side, and I'd assume that would help with identification.

If it were an orange, it would be very peculiar for it to have petrified without first having dried up into a shape not immediately recognizable as an orange. Seems more likely it would have been a seed or nut of some kind, something that started out with more oil content than water, so that when it dried out, the overall shape was not much distorted.

Were I the OP I would email images to whatever paleobotanists I could find the email's of. They might already know what nut or fruit it is, or might already know of some purely mineral process that has this organic-looking result.

Likes Pepper Mint
Kinda looks like this aso,
800px-MarcasiteGeode.jpg

If it is pyrite or marcasite (which I am not saying it is ) degradation with moisture could have made the specimen more flaky.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcasite
In any case, mineral deposits can look like organic material petrified.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
256bits said:
If it is pyrite or marcasite (which I am not saying it is )
aah . . . iron pyrite (otherwise known as fool's gold!:biggrin:)

you should have someone who knows what they are doing take a look at it before you ruin it more than you already may have.

Related to Is this a petrified fruit or a concretion?

1. Is it possible for a fruit to become petrified?

Yes, it is possible for a fruit to become petrified. Petrification is the process in which organic material is replaced by minerals, resulting in a stone-like appearance. This can occur over thousands or even millions of years, and can happen to any type of organic material, including fruits.

2. How can I tell if it is a petrified fruit or a concretion?

One way to tell the difference between a petrified fruit and a concretion is by looking at the texture. Petrified fruits will often have a more detailed and recognizable texture, while concretions tend to have a more uniform and smooth surface. Additionally, petrified fruits may also retain some of their original shape, while concretions are often irregularly shaped.

3. Can a concretion be mistaken for a petrified fruit?

Yes, a concretion can be mistaken for a petrified fruit. Concretions are natural formations that can have a similar appearance to petrified fruits, but they are not made from organic material. They are typically formed when minerals accumulate around a nucleus, such as a shell or piece of wood, and can take on a round or spherical shape.

4. How old can a petrified fruit or concretion be?

The age of a petrified fruit or concretion can vary greatly. Some may be only a few hundred years old, while others can be millions of years old. The age can be determined by analyzing the minerals and the surrounding sediment. Some petrified fruits and concretions have been found to be over 200 million years old.

5. Are petrified fruits and concretions valuable?

The value of a petrified fruit or concretion depends on several factors, such as its rarity, size, and condition. Some petrified fruits and concretions can be quite valuable to collectors and museums, while others may have little to no value. It is important to note that it is illegal to collect or sell petrified fruits or concretions found on public lands without a permit.